Wind related question. TN mountains

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: Wind related question. TN mountains

Unread postby jwilkstn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:10 pm

October's Assassin wrote:Also the buck you jumped, was he bedded there for a specific wind? Did you have any milk weed to check wind?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I gave alot of thought to that. There was virtually NO wind at the time, but the thermals were rising and he was bedded up the spring from where I located the other bed.
Based on a wind direction alone, I would guess that it would be a south or southwest wind bed location. However, I'm going to throw out a new theory that it was primarily a bed to take advantage of the shade and cooler temps near the spring. I dunno?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Not all those who wander are lost...
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:14 pm

TNstalker wrote:Buddy of mine lives in Winchester TN. He finds his biggest bucks on benches or ledge with a rock wall behind them. Pretty much where u can't sneak up on hem at all. Not sure about the wind tunnel can't help u there.

I've seen that prior to this sight as well. Is your buddy hunting public or private in this area?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Not all those who wander are lost...
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:00 am

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:07 am

Jwilkstn

He is hunting private. I've tried calling him to get some info for y'all he has hunted that terrain for 30 plus years. But his mom an dad aren't doing good so he is really busy. He also likes to get above them an hunt if he can do so. He made a repel system last year to get in on a big one but it was to thick when got in there couldn't get a shot. Buck didn't come back the next time he tried it an he moved on to another spot. Another thing he likes to do is get where one of the few places u can go up or down near a bedding area an hunt. He is a ground an saddle hunter.

October's Assassin

Unread postby October's Assassin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:37 am

TNstalker wrote:Jwilkstn

He is hunting private. I've tried calling him to get some info for y'all he has hunted that terrain for 30 plus years. But his mom an dad aren't doing good so he is really busy. He also likes to get above them an hunt if he can do so. He made a repel system last year to get in on a big one but it was to thick when got in there couldn't get a shot. Buck didn't come back the next time he tried it an he moved on to another spot. Another thing he likes to do is get where one of the few places u can go up or down near a bedding area an hunt. He is a ground an saddle hunter.

I've seen a lot of bucks hunting gaps in the bluff also

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”