Which way does your tree stand face?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Which way is your tree stand facing?

Toward the deer trail
83%
Away from the deer trail
17%

Total votes: 29
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Which way does your tree stand face?

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:45 am

I face it so that I can see where the deer come from and will present with the best shot. I can't hear, so need to see...

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:46 am

spray97 wrote:I shot left handed so I try and have my right side facing were I expect the deer to be so I can shoot sitting down if need be. But it just depends on if I can find a tree that works with proper backcover and levelness.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Same here.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:54 am

for the most part I agree with Stanley. except 1 of my most productive stands is near a property edge and I don't want the neighbors thinking because my stand is facing their land I am trying to shoot the deer while still on their land so I face it a different way so it doesn't appear that way.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:33 am

I chose away but not what I would consider backwards. I like the bulk of the shootable trails to be on my left. I'm right handed. So using a clock face. My stand is in the middle. The deer are expected to come from 12:00. Moving thruogh on my left. My stand faces about 2:00. I can still see the deer coming by turning my head while watching. As they come into shooting lanes I can twist at my waist to the left to cover most shots. Without having to move my feet. I prefer standing when shooting. So before that magic hour starts. I get to my feet bow in hand.

Of course this doesn't always work. One needs to adapt to each situation!!! If I have to point my stand directly at the trails I'll often stand with my right shoulder against the trunk of the tree. Which allows for the same movement mentioned above.

One thing I've done to curb squeaky rubber boot noise against metal platforms. Is wear my Bear Paws over boot silent stalkers. While on stand. It makes a huge difference.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:06 am

Every situation is different but If I'm confident that a buck can't pick out my set then I'll face toward the deer. Most times I will play it safe and face the stand away from the deers sight . I stand up a lot anyway ,so I lean against facing the tree and looking around the side while waiting .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BACKSTRAPALIEN

Unread postby BACKSTRAPALIEN » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:00 am

Being right handed, generally I will position to shoot to my left. I like to be able to draw and shoot from a seated position with as little movement as possible.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”