How long do you sit?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cornfedkiller
500 Club

How long do you sit?

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:41 pm

When you set up on a bed for a morning sit, what time do you normally get down out of your stand? It would seem to me that you action is either going to be in a first little bit of light, or not at all..so what, do you just get down an hour or so after light and head in?

What about for afternoon hunts? How long before dark do you want to be done setting up and sitting by?

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: How long do you sit?

Unread postby Dor » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:05 pm

Not a set thing for me. Really depends on many factors. Time of year, stage of rut, work schedule (some time is better than no time), habitat of area, amount of familiarity with area, number of hot spots I left to hunt, amount of scouting i have or have not accomplished etc...
This year during my vacation which was 3 weeks late Oct to mid Nov...I sat till 11am minimum usually later and was out again by 2 or 3.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Hate to admidt it but really only mornings I hunt is during the rut, not really targeting a specific buck. Will sit until I feel the need to leave, take a break or stay all day. Didn't have an all day sit this year. I would say average time down was about 10:30am.

During the rut, could be in the tree as soon as 10:00 am if I didn't hunt the morning that day.....most days like to be in by noon.

Second bow season, pretty much all weather dependent. If I think I can hack it (the cold and wind) will be in the tree by noon and sit till legal closing. Rarely ever hunt mornings in the second bow season.....have gone in at 9:00am on some occasions but most always had a mid day stretch and stand switch.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:54 pm

If I,m hunting a bed I usually only sit for about an hour after sun-up.I figure if he beat me back to his bed that will give him an hour give or take to settle in.B4 i make noise gettin down and out of there. If I,m rut hunting in the a.m. i try to sit for the same 1 hour and then get back up into tree for a 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. where I,ll get out take a brake and sit for the final hour. I absolutely can,t sit very long but i do the best I can .
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:24 pm

I don't hunt mornings much early season but I do sit all day during the rut and during gun season. This year I had eleven all day sits which is a new record for me.
If I do hunt mornings I like to sit at least until 10:00 A.M. because it seems like there sometimes is some deer movement right around 9:00 A.M. for some reason.
Afternoon hunts I like to be out at least five or six hours before closing so I can take my time setting up and give everything a chance settle down. During late season I cut this back to the last three hours since it gets dark out much earlier.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:55 am

When you guys are set up on a bed for a morning hunt, and say the buck beats you back to his bed..when you get down, do you get down and take your stuff down as quietly as possible and try to sneak out of there, or doesnt it matter?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:11 pm

If the buck beat me to the bed, he would of taken off like crazy when I put my stand up over the top of it... When I sit beds in the AM I am sitting right over it.
AM hunts very... I hunt till midday during rut an hour or so after light if its early or late season.
Evenings vary depending on situation. Like to have at least a few hours before dark.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Not much into morning sits!! Afternoon I like to be on stand at least 3 to 4 before I believe there will be movement.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:24 pm

dan wrote:If the buck beat me to the bed, he would of taken off like crazy when I put my stand up over the top of it... When I sit beds in the AM I am sitting right over it.
AM hunts very... I hunt till midday during rut an hour or so after light if its early or late season.
Evenings vary depending on situation. Like to have at least a few hours before dark.

Oh yeah, I forgot about setting up right on top of his bed in the mornings..I have so much to learn! :)

So what if you are sitting there and he comes back before first light? Does he usually realize you are there and take off?
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:55 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
dan wrote:If the buck beat me to the bed, he would of taken off like crazy when I put my stand up over the top of it... When I sit beds in the AM I am sitting right over it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about setting up right on top of his bed in the mornings..I have so much to learn! :)

So what if you are sitting there and he comes back before first light? Does he usually realize you are there and take off?

I was wondering that as well. Dan, have you ever had a buck show up before light and remain undetected? If so, do you shoot the buck in his bed or what?
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:11 pm

This has been a tough year for me to stay on stand for all day sits. I don't know if it is just because I am getting older or what but I only did an all day sit one time. Morning hunts I sat until between 11 and noon. I felt uncomfortable and restless and generally impatient which is out of character for me. I hope it is not something that will repeat itself next season.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:43 pm

I was wondering that as well. Dan, have you ever had a buck show up before light and remain undetected? If so, do you shoot the buck in his bed or what?

Something similar than this happened to Andre in one of the DVDs. Only difference was the buck bedded down with no shooting lanes. In that case I'm sure you would definitely shoot it in the bed if that's an option, otherwise wait it out. He's bound to get up and stretch or at the very least get up just before dark to stage again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”