Deer senses and daylight movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Country
500 Club

Deer senses and daylight movement

Unread postby Country » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:54 am

If deer like to use all of their senses to avoid predators, why don't they move more during the day versus night to better use their sense of sight??

[ Post made via Android ] Image

IkemanTx
500 Club

Re: Deer senses and daylight movement

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:22 am

I think aversion to daylight movement pretty much always boils down to human pressure. The rare times I have been in zero pressure areas with a decent whitetail population, there were deer up and moving at all different times throughout the day. I think thousands of years of humans being more effective than other predators (percentage wise) has led to a natural instinct of smell hunter, wait till dusk. Also, for an animal with little reasoning skills, if I can't hear, see, or smell danger... There must not be danger. I find deer move well in fog and quiet snowfall down here, and I think it is because the hindrances to their senses leads to a false sense of security.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:24 am

Mainly because of human activity and everything that goes with that. Actually on one small woodlot I hunt, I had a camera in an area that doesn't get much human activity and there was substantial deer movement throughout the day.

I think deer do move regularly throughout the day however they move in areas away from humans and because they aren't seen, the perception is they aren't moving. Secondly, it's hot a good part of the year and they move more at night simply because it's cooler.
Last, it's probably a genetic, Darwinistic type thing for prey animals (deer, rabbits, mice) to move more in the dark due to overall lower activity in the wild at night.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:14 am

CountryJoe wrote:If deer like to use all of their senses to avoid predators, why don't they move more during the day versus night to better use their sense of sight??

Deer can see at night. Deer move most at dusk and dawn which is when their vision is at its peak. Really how they move is taking advantage of all their senses.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:14 am

purebowhunting wrote:
CountryJoe wrote:If deer like to use all of their senses to avoid predators, why don't they move more during the day versus night to better use their sense of sight??

Deer can see at night. Deer move most at dusk and dawn which is when their vision is at its peak. Really how they move is taking advantage of all their senses.

X2

They know they are much more visible to predators in daylight too especially humans.

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:49 am

Deer are crepuscular animals. They move most at dawn and dusk whether they are being hunted or not.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”