Have Game Cameras Taken Away From "The Hunt"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Longhaul

Re: Have Game Cameras Taken Away From "The Hunt"

Unread postby Longhaul » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:58 am

Sam,

The question you pose is a good one. Indirectly i was asking for opinions about this a few weeks back when i posted:

"Is there anything wrong with NOT using trail cameras?".

i currently do not use any trail cams. Not planning on buying any anytime soon. i know that i am in the minority.

Not opposed to trail cams, but i do think we could push the boundaries of ethical hunting if things go too far. 50 cams on one property pushing out real time notifications? Programmed video drone with GPS discreetly flying overhead following ONE buck?

Please guys, don't think that i am bashing trail cam use. i do have concerns about where we may be heading.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:21 am

Swampbuck wrote:I haven't found that they are such a huge advantage. In fact even on good sign, in big featureless woods settings with no bait or draw it's quite tough to get pics of a buck...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

That's what I was actually inferring .. just getting them on camera is a challenge unto itself, killing that particular one is even another level. Great tool but much less advantageous than some may think on public land

Make It Happen
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:22 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:I haven't found that they are such a huge advantage. In fact even on good sign, in big featureless woods settings with no bait or draw it's quite tough to get pics of a buck...

Funny, but I have always looked at it as a feat to kill a buck you got on camera. Here in the Northeast...very few guys are killing bucks they get on camera. Sometimes, guys actually give up. I was one of them back a number of years ago. My scouting skills were not good enough to interpret what I was seeing on camera. So for me, killing bucks I get on camera was a challenge for me...because I found it pretty hard to do.

On the flipside, I can understand what your talking about. When every buck has a name...and everyone is hunting "jeremy" or "phil" or "larry" even though the "hitlist" is comprised of 12 bucks, 9 of which the hunter has 1 nighttime picture of. And if you kill a buck you don't have one camera, thats ok BUT your not really at the same level as guys hunting bucks they "know". lol.

I am not sure its game cameras that have taken away from the hunt but more of the exposure on TV.

That's what I was actually inferring .. just getting them on camera is a challenge unto itself, killing that particular one is even another level. Great tool but much less advantageous than some may think on public land

Make It Happen
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:27 am

Longhaul wrote:Sam,

The question you pose is a good one. Indirectly i was asking for opinions about this a few weeks back when i posted:

"Is there anything wrong with NOT using trail cameras?".

i currently do not use any trail cams. Not planning on buying any anytime soon. i know that i am in the minority.

Not opposed to trail cams, but i do think we could push the boundaries of ethical hunting if things go too far. 50 cams on one property pushing out real time notifications? Programmed video drone with GPS discreetly flying overhead following ONE buck?

Please guys, don't think that i am bashing trail cam use. i do have concerns about where we may be heading.

I think that pertains more to highly managed land than the average hunter. And really if someone was running 50 cams on an individual property they would have a tough time not ruining there chances with all that pressure. Again unless it was highly managed

Make It Happen
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:51 am

Since finding the Hunting Beast I have realized that my woodsmanship skills are not where I want them to be. I don't run trail cams because they are an extra expense I choose not to afford and I feel they would just get stolen on public in Michigan. I think cameras have taken away from hunter actually learning how to read sign, and I want to keep expanding my woodsmanship. That being said I love seeing the pictures my brother and friends have on their trail cams, just not for me at this point. If I had a big chunk of private to hunt I would probably buy a couple. Great topic!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”