Calling out the kings of hill country hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Calling out the kings of hill country hunting

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:39 pm

7780 acres will hold mature buck bedding

The buck in Feb is definetly a mature looking buck... but my guess is he doesn't bed on the 80 acres. If he did... you would likely have more than a few pics. Post up the topo on 7780 acre piece....

Best walking here in WI is typically Jan-late April IMO. All the sign is there... season is over... marshes are frozen

[ Post made via Android ] Image

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:06 am

October's Assassin wrote:I'm in TN also and hunt the mountains! Where y'all from?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Southern middle, just a few miles north of the Bama line. Right on the edge of the plateau.

You?

Not all those who wander are lost...
jwilkstn
500 Club

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:10 am

Bucky wrote:7780 acres will hold mature buck bedding

The buck in Feb is definetly a mature looking buck... but my guess is he doesn't bed on the 80 acres. If he did... you would likely have more than a few pics. Post up the topo on 7780 acre piece....

Best walking here in WI is typically Jan-late April IMO. All the sign is there... season is over... marshes are frozen

I agree with all of this, except maybe marshes freezing over lol. It does green up by mid April too. If you turkey hunt, the first few days are always good for deer scouting but it quickly changes.

jwilkstn
500 Club

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:26 am

Rockytophunter wrote:Ok guys. The public land is 7,737 acres. It goes off into 3 different coves. Where do I need to start. I have the aerial topo with a link if yall want to look also. When do you guys scout? I have always scouted right when season is over. Try to stay out of woods until season starts back up. If I'm going to start hunting public I would also like to know how yall keep other people from following or hunting on top of you.

I would personally approach this season as largely a learning season on the property, hoping it would pay future dividends since it's one you can hunt alot moving forward. I would first take a drive there and check out all of the possible access points. Try to determine how much activity they see. Look for old signs of hunting (trash,etc) and also more recent use (others scouting, dog walkers, squirrel hunters, etc). Note what you see so when you go back to your map you can remember it all. After that, I would make some semi-educated guesses on where the pressure will be.
At that point, I would pick an area and get in there and figure it out. Don't expect to learn that much land thoroughly this season. Take note when you hunt of where others are accessing the place. Maybe purposely go after daylight one morning and drive around looking for other vehicles. It can pay off in the long run to learn that stuff sooner rather than later.

Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:55 am

Bucky wrote:7780 acres will hold mature buck bedding

The topo I can post won't show alot due to me being zoomed out so far. I could send you a link in PM.

Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:56 am

jwilkstn wrote:
Rockytophunter wrote:Ok guys. The public land is 7,737 acres. It goes off into 3 different coves. Where do I need to start. I have the aerial topo with a link if yall want to look also. When do you guys scout? I have always scouted right when season is over. Try to stay out of woods until season starts back up. If I'm going to start hunting public I would also like to know how yall keep other people from following or hunting on top of you.

I would personally approach this season as largely a learning season on the property, hoping it would pay future dividends since it's one you can hunt alot moving forward. I would first take a drive there and check out all of the possible access points. Try to determine how much activity they see. Look for old signs of hunting (trash,etc) and also more recent use (others scouting, dog walkers, squirrel hunters, etc). Note what you see so when you go back to your map you can remember it all. After that, I would make some semi-educated guesses on where the pressure will be.
At that point, I would pick an area and get in there and figure it out. Don't expect to learn that much land thoroughly this season. Take note when you hunt of where others are accessing the place. Maybe purposely go after daylight one morning and drive around looking for other vehicles. It can pay off in the long run to learn that stuff sooner rather than later.

Very good points. My main concern would be people following me and I wouldn't like that to much.

jwilkstn
500 Club

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:41 am

If you park in a parking area,even if you're the first one there,guys will still follow you in. I prefer to find spots between the typical parking areas where I can pull off a road and avoid the crowd. Deer are more likely to be on alert for people entering from the main spots.

Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:49 am

Makes sense. I might want to upgrade my garbage/hunting truck from a 2wd to a 4wd. What time of the year does everyone like to scout? I never have scouted close to season . Always have scouted right after season has ended

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”