Calling out the kings of hill country hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rockytophunter

Calling out the kings of hill country hunting

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:32 am

After reading so much info on the Internet I feel like I am just chasing my tail in circles. I have around 80 acres to hunt and been trying to learn from my mistakes over the past couple of years. I always 2nd guess myself about stand locations and how to hunt the winds and thermals. I am just looking for as much advice as I can get. I put a camera out when season ended last year in a new location and I will say there where a couple "good" deer that survived. I had bucks and does both bed down in front of the camera. I have ran a camera this year since July and have a few good ones. Everyone here will end up hating me because I have so many questions.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Calling out the kings of hill country hunting

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:45 am

Welcome to the beast!
Stand locations mixed w wind and thermals is a never ending learning subject. In the Deer Hunting Section @ the top you will find the Best Tactical Threads and that is a great place to learn more than you can hunting, though most of the subjects in it still are discussed today. Be sure to watch the vids on Hunting Beast Youtube and buy Hill Country Bucks asap (if you haven't already), buy every DVD Dan puts out, they are all worth watching over and over.

Here is a thread a new guy started w wind and thermal videos. VERY COOL!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36619
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:35 am

Welcome to the Beast. Hang out on the forums and learn as much as you can. Also remember some of us have been hunting big bucks for many decades. You can't become consistently successful overnight. Good to see you asking questions great way to start.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:58 am

No haters here on good questions. Sometimes a new point is made on often talked about subjects. Sometimes they get asked in a different way that sparks a memory of one of the super experts.
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:35 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:Welcome to the beast!
Stand locations mixed w wind and thermals is a never ending learning subject. In the Deer Hunting Section @ the top you will find the Best Tactical Threads and that is a great place to learn more than you can hunting, though most of the subjects in it still are discussed today. Be sure to watch the vids on Hunting Beast Youtube and buy Hill Country Bucks asap (if you haven't already), buy every DVD Dan puts out, they are all worth watching over and over.

http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36619

I have his DVD but haven't finished it. I know one thing he was talking about was the mixing chamber at the top 1/3 of the mtn. I do not have access to hunt that part of the mtn. But there is a smaller mtn or hill on the other side of the cove that I can hunt but it's very thick with alot of small flats followed by 5-10 ft limestone bluffs. Never hunted it.

Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:37 pm

Where I am wanting to hunt is lower down above a running creek and a soybean field. It's on an old logging road that goes around the side of a hollow. Only thing to me is for me to hunt it with the wind blowing in my face is I would have to set up below where they go to the logging road and then I have the thermals that are gonna rise. I feel like it's a no win situation

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Rockytophunter wrote:Where I am wanting to hunt is lower down above a running creek and a soybean field. It's on an old logging road that goes around the side of a hollow. Only thing to me is for me to hunt it with the wind blowing in my face is I would have to set up below where they go to the logging road and then I have the thermals that are gonna rise. I feel like it's a no win situation

If you can figure out how post a topo pic of your area and an aerial photo... based on that you may get some help

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:02 pm

[URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Rockytophunter/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08-26%2005.47.49_zpsoemq4obp.jpg.html][IMG]htt

See if this works for you guys. If it does everything isnide the black I am allowed to hunt

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:34 pm

I'm new to this as well. Best advice I can give you is to find other places to hunt other than the one 80 acre plot if you can. You can burn 80 acres out quite quick and I have learned that the hard way.

Other than that, read as many threads as you can here about everything. You will be surprised as to how much you can learn and how much there is to learn.
-Rick
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:45 pm

I'm not seeing your picture. It looks like you may have deleted some of the link; be sure to post the entire string.

Also, you have a lot more than 80 acres to hunt, there's public too. I used to think like that, when I stopped with those assumptions and dove head first into public I started seeing the biggest deer of my life. You got to be willing to give what it takes. This site will take years off your learning curve, but at the end of the day you got to want it. You have to get up from the computer, turn off the outdoor channel, and go make it work. Implement tactics, critically think, and problem solve. Nobody else will do it for you. Good luck and Welcome to the Beast!
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:47 pm

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:56 am

Welcome! Couldn't zoom in on ur map as close as I want to. I will say same as others 80 is a small track an it may not hold what ur looking for. Don't be afraid to jump out there on public or a totally new place. But learn what u need to look for an ur area. Study ask questions an repeat that over an over till u can get to the point u can start answering questions ur self. Then u can post the question to see if ur in the same mind set as some of the other guys. It takes guys different time frames to get that different mind set that out of the box thinking. So don't give up be patient!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:13 am

Try it this time guys. I saw 80 acres because of the ag. Field would be hard to hunt. The deer are there every night and would be hard to get in there without being busted. I also bumped one of the bucks I have on camera this morning with my car.

Is there an easier way to post photos? Photo bucket has so many adds it's about aggravating to use.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:26 am

Rockytophunter wrote:Image

Try it this time guys. I saw 80 acres because of the ag. Field would be hard to hunt. The deer are there every night and would be hard to get in there without being busted. I also bumped one of the bucks I have on camera this morning with my car.

Is there an easier way to post photos? Photo bucket has so many adds it's about aggravating to use.

I've been using AdBlocker apps on my PC and I don't get hit by them.
sethg

Unread postby sethg » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:25 am

Rockytophunter wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:Welcome to the beast!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36619

I have his DVD but haven't finished it. I know one thing he was talking about was the mixing chamber at the top 1/3 of the mtn. I do not have access to hunt that part of the mtn. But there is a smaller mtn or hill on the other side of the cove that I can hunt but it's very thick with alot of small flats followed by 5-10 ft limestone bluffs. Never hunted it.

I have some cliffs on one of my properties... check right below limestone bluff... I bet there is a trail that runs parallel to the bluff (especially if the bluffs are up high).. I see bucks cruise right below the cliff... best option for them to get around it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”