Determining Bedding from Cameras?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Atrez76

Determining Bedding from Cameras?

Unread postby Atrez76 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:25 am

Alright guys, New to the site and looking for some expertise advise on cyber scouting. I love the site and have gained a lot of knowledge from everyone here. Dan and yourselfs have really opened my eyes to beast style hunting. Anyway I recently acquired some property to hunt and have not been able to do beast style scouting like I’d like to because of distance away. So instead I placed 3 cameras in a hit list bucks (5 year olds) core area. I have pics of him on all 3 cameras at different times during the last 3 months. On the map the red dots represent where the cameras where placed. Top of the map is north, primary winds from the west. The first red dot to the left of screen the pics only have him during the times of 10pm to 2am headed east. The second center camera has him between the hours of 11am to 1pm heading south every time. , also has him during the evening hours of 6pm to 8pm heading north every time. The third camera has him between the hours of 5am to 6am Heading north. The pic’s have been consistent thru the last 3 months, not every day or every same day on cameras but every 3th or 5th day. I guess my big question is where about does it look like he could possibly be bedding? Where would a good stand placement be at these key areas? I would really appreciate the help-out on this mature deer.
Keep up the good work and Thanks

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1005x ... pFunoa.jpg

Jeff25

Re: Determining Bedding from Cameras?

Unread postby Jeff25 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:25 am

I think that is tough to tell for sure, I like the water that is up high right above and bellow the middle camera. I would either 1. Start hunting every point one at a time or 2. set a few observation stands to maybe get eyes on him coming from one of the points.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:31 am

I cannot see the picture form the PC I am on - but if you are getting mid day pictures consistently of a buck then that is money - you are in his core area IMHO.,,, so camera 2 area would be an area I would look at very closely. I would say he is bedding to the south based on him moving south at 11-2:oo PM and coming back north in the evening. Camera 3 also indicates a morning bedding approach. Like I said I cannot see the pic so I am going just off what you posted.
Atrez76

Unread postby Atrez76 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks for the replies guys! I really appreciate the help on this. Anymore comments would be great!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wvirge1

Unread postby wvirge1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:24 am

Look up what the wind direction and speed was during the hour and date each pic was taken. Might not turn up anything but for all the older bucks I get more than one picture of it's an every time without exception kind of deal.

Last year I had a picture of the same nice buck every morning the wind was out the southeast.I have another cam spot that a good buck walks past every time there's a very light north wind. Only get doe pics with any other wind.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:24 am

Like what was just said, take a look at the wind on the days you have daytime pictures and you might get a good idea on where that deer is using that spot.

The only problem I see is that you have this buck on his summer patterns. I have a feeling with the leaves start to fall and the weather gets cooler, he might change his patterns. I heard one time that in the lower areas with rivers/creeks, the temps stay a bit lower so bucks like to use those areas during the day to stay a couple degrees cooler. I have a food plot right next to a large creek and from June to September, that is where we get the most pictures of big bucks. As the season hits, the pictures tend to not be as frequent. This may just be the case for me and the area I hunt though. When September hits, you may want to try to move a camera to another spot a bit higher and see if you get any pictures there.

Those bottoms also might be tough to hunt, seems like you might get a lot of swirling wind down there. I'm still trying to figure a way to hunt the narrow bottoms at my spot. Tons of big buck pics down there but tough to get in and stay undetected.
wvirge1

Unread postby wvirge1 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:34 am

Big b made me think of something else- if you have more cams put them higher up by the start of cuts or wash outs they have to go around. You will probably get the same bucks on different winds (the days you don't get him in the bottoms)

Atrez76

Unread postby Atrez76 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:08 am

I figured that summer patterns might be a factor. My guess the winds will also change somewhat closer to the fall season. I checked the wind it’s looking ENE light on those days for center camera. But as stated I can see where swirling is a problem in bottom. I will be heading down this week to check cameras again, to see if there are any changes in pattern. I should mention this is in farm land with surrounding corn and beans and very little hunting pressure. I just wish I got there sooner in the year to find his bed or beds. Thanks for the replies!
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:29 am

Bigb wrote:Like what was just said, take a look at the wind on the days you have daytime pictures and you might get a good idea on where that deer is using that spot.

The only problem I see is that you have this buck on his summer patterns. I have a feeling with the leaves start to fall and the weather gets cooler, he might change his patterns. I heard one time that in the lower areas with rivers/creeks, the temps stay a bit lower so bucks like to use those areas during the day to stay a couple degrees cooler. I have a food plot right next to a large creek and from June to September, that is where we get the most pictures of big bucks. As the season hits, the pictures tend to not be as frequent. This may just be the case for me and the area I hunt though. When September hits, you may want to try to move a camera to another spot a bit higher and see if you get any pictures there.

Those bottoms also might be tough to hunt, seems like you might get a lot of swirling wind down there. I'm still trying to figure a way to hunt the narrow bottoms at my spot. Tons of big buck pics down there but tough to get in and stay undetected.

Is there a good website to look up past weather by zip codes?

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:46 am

It sounds like he's bedding off one of those points to the south of the two eastern most dots bases on what you are seeing. You are really close if your getting that many pics. Sounds jam up

Make It Happen
Atrez76

Unread postby Atrez76 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:10 am

Rockytophunter wrote:
Bigb wrote:Like what was just said, take a look at the wind on the days you have daytime pictures and you might get a good idea on where that deer is using that spot.

Is there a good website to look up past weather by zip codes?

Try this site it takes you to the closest airport from your position. You can pick your dates for the wind speed and diretion.
https://www.wunderground.com/history/

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”