How much $ does it really take

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

How much $ does it really take

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:34 pm

Over the years I've spent a ton of money on deer hunting. The clothes, bows, guns and gear and everything else that goes along with it. Licenses, permits, gas...the list goes on and on. Even though I've somewhat settled on my go to gear, I still spend quite a bit of money replacing what's broke and worn out. I've never tracked every dollar but if I had to guess I'd say I probably spend around $1200 a year all tolled.

Anybody track there hunting expenses to see exactly what it cost them to chase whitetails?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: How much $ does it really take

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:42 pm

Heck no, that would be incriminating evidence!!!!

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:45 pm

cbigbear wrote:Heck no, that would be incriminating evidence!!!!

This^

Sorry Wlog, this one needs to be in the all time beast LEFT OUT threads :lol:

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:49 pm

I spent a lot of $$$ years ago, now I pretty much have everything I need and then some and even plenty of backup gear. Last few years excluding gas $$$ I would say licenses and a few odds and ends I'm under $150 a year. But wow back in the day, especially when I was single almost everything not paying bills was spent on hunting gear and trips.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:53 pm

Haha yes I know very close to the dollar I spend every year. First couple of years I spent a lot of money getting back into it as everyone does. Well three seasons into my marriage the wife flipped her lid and we were having a couple of tight years financially so I took a year off hunting. Well the following year I was planning to the same and my wife said F no get your but in the woods I can't live with the mood swings and grumpy depressed days through another season of you watching your friends kill deer. She had one condition I had to track all of my spending and she got a vacation in the summer equal to what I spent. First two years my season I spent less then $300, but last year my wife got $1825 for her vacation budget.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:13 am

The most I have spent has been in the "initial" setup. Everything else has just been tweaking things and not spending too much money. I'm not one to but new trail cams and clothes every year.
-Rick
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:16 am

I've spent more than I normally do already this year. I've upgrading my camo, Broadheads , and binocs. My buddy says every year he could buy a freezer and half a beef for what he spends on hunting. I say where's the adventure in that. Lol. I don't keep track but it has to be in the thousands I spend on food plot stuff , gas , and my tags and everything else.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:26 am

I figure I am going to spend money on some type of hobby regardless. Atleast hunting and fishing fill the freezer so you get some of it back.

It could defenitely be done cheaper, but so can pretty much everything

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:51 am

I don't really want to know..i spend a fair amount every season. Seems like every year I decide I need something, or have to upgrade something. this year iv already got a new bow and canoe. Lately I have it in my head I want to upgrade my gps unit..only a matter of time before I pull the trigger on something when it pops in my head. Next year I'm sure it will be something else. Then there's tags, gas, eating out on the run ect. and hopefully paying a taxi bill. I always laugh when people say something like,"think of the money you save eating venison and not having to buy red meat"

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:55 am

I am sure I spend several 1000s on toilet paper, trash bags, filters, etc., and other throw away items so I don't frown to much on what I spend feeding my passion :) Lord help me when I get in a trad bow buying mood - thank goodness the kids are doen with college and the house is just about paid for :D
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:57 am

DaveT1963 wrote: thank goodness the kids are doen with college and the house is just about paid for :D

My wife is going on some serious vacations when that happens!!!!!!!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:58 am

Disclaimer hypothetical hunting cost in no way tied to actual cost!!!!

Cost about $1,765 to just get in the woods.
Ms oos Lic $450
Refuge permit $20
LA Lic $45
Gas @ $50 per trip

Add equipment maintenance - arrows, heads, fletching, & replacing worn out gear cost is North of 2k per yr.

rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:04 am

Just like someone else posted earlier, we had some financial issues years back so we budgeted every expense in the home. My wife, who is very supportive, allotted me $2000/ year for deer hunting expenditures. That included every expenditure from gas to food to lodging (mostly campsites) to possible gear replacement to tags. Other than the taxi bill(s), I was WAY under the $2000 threshhold. Butchering and processing your own deer help out also, but do take time. I love doing it so it doesn't bother me. Avoiding purchasing all of the new gadgets, camo patterns, etc help out too. You'd think it was impossible to kill a deer prior to some of these marketed items (no offense to those trying to sell items here on the Beast)!!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:06 am

As stated above my initial investment was the biggest hit. Other than that I can keep it pretty cheap. Basically my tags, bullets n broadheads. My hunting area is on my way home from work so gas isnt a huge factor. I did buy about 600 dollars in new gear last year. It had been about 15 years since I purchased my summit. I expect I wont buy another stand now for a long time.

As for the wife..if she starts questioning my spending I simply reply.."I have a job."

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:15 am

Man that is a tough one to try and figure out. Every year may differ from the next because of wants, needs, gas prices, and where I might be hunting.

To be all honest though, I don't think I really want to know. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”