Using Barns/houses as scent cover

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigb
500 Club

Using Barns/houses as scent cover

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:04 pm

So I have a new stand site that I am learning is a real hot spot for big buck movement. I've learned by trail camera as well as hunting in the area over the last 5 years that mature bucks seems to like this spot. I've hunted the top 1/3 above it but many times when I hunt it, the mature bucks are moving at the bottom of the ridge at the edge of the ag fields (below the red dot). Two of the biggest bucks I've ever seen were while sitting on the top of the ridge looking down to the field edge. I really tried to investigate this area and this spring I discovered there is a small spring (you can see the greener area in the ag field) that comes out where these deer walk by and even though there is a creek 50 years away, I feel like the deer want to drink out of this spring while they feed. I'm trying to find a way to hunt this area because it is a bottom and I'm trying to explore all options.

With this spot, there is a barn and house within about 75 yards of where I want to hunt. There are always people working at the barn, horses, cattle, dogs etc but the deer seem to not care since it is above them. I'm curious if I get the right wind and have the barn/house upwind of me could I use this as a scent cover? The ag fields are flat lowland and the woods is there there is a bout a 90 foot elevation change up to another higher ag field.

Have any of you ever tried to use something as a scent cover before? I have no idea if this would work but curious on people's thoughts. Red dot is where the stand would most likely be. Property line is right next to the barn running along the hill and then along the right side of that top right ag field. Access would be from the top (going through about 100 yards of woods or walking the length of lower fields which would be about 500 yards through the bottom.

Redman232

Re: Using Barns/houses as scent cover

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:41 pm

Knowing where the buck beds are will tell you where you need to be to kill these deer on this property. In my opinion the deer will be able to tell you are closer than the typical human scent they encounter.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:45 pm

The way I've understood a deer's sense of smell- they can differentiate smells almost as well as we see different colors and objects. So they should be able to smell the hunter amongst all of the other smells that are typically in that area.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:55 am

I have to agree w Redman & Matt, I have to believe that a a deer can tell how close your scent is and be able to differentiate that form the farm that he is used to.
I am by no means an expert on set locations but here is my 2cents... If its 75-100 yards from your stand to the creek, then I would guess you could shoot from that tree line separating the fields to the water source? Bc then you could walk from the creek, up the tree line and setup wo any pressure on you or the deer. In fact couldnt he just do that at sunset right before the thermals start dropping?

Assuming you saw these bucks outside of the rut, and your running cams and still not able to guess or find bedding, then I would try to re capture the conditions you saw them:
Check dates & times of pics and check weather & wind stats for those days.
Think back the best you can on the days you saw them, check the stats on those days.

Im really curious about this spot, hope I was able to help in some way

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”