No Washer or Dryer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: No Washer or Dryer

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:33 am

Jrichard wrote:So if the wind isnt right, go to a new piece and sit there? lol I mean I have a ton of places to hunt here in RI and CT but none of them seem to have many if at all any deer.

How big are the places you're hunting?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 am

Most are a couple hundred acres. One is probably 100 acres. Not too big.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:32 am

Don't wash your clothes until they get bloody. They will smell you anyway. I expect an update on the twins Sept 18th.

Seriously, the twin.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:28 pm

Buckshot20 wrote:Don't wash your clothes until they get bloody. They will smell you anyway. I expect an update on the twins Sept 18th.

Seriously, the twin.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:59 pm

I used to be a "scent free nazi" it gets to a point where it starts taking the fun out of it. I still use unscented detergent because I hate the smell of most detergents. I haven't switched over to unscented soap/shampoo yet this year and I'm not sure if I will. Every year my "scent free" regimen becomes more lax and every year my attention to detail on wind/thermals increases.

Like BH4L said, I like to be clean because it's comfortable. In my opinion You're having some of ,if not the best deer hunters on the planet giving you advice.(not including myself lol)

I think new aspiring deer hunters would be 10 years ahead of the game if they didn't watch television, logged on to the beast,picked some milk weed and learned to hunt wind/thermals/terrain without ever worrying about sign. Obviously deer need to reside there but you get what I'm saying.

Last summer I had a buck with some age on him sneak up on me in a field. He was 5 yards from me and could not smell me because I was in a low spot and the thermals were dropping. I was sweaty and stunk.

Good luck. I'll shut up now haha!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:12 pm

When I was a sailor fresh water was very hard to come by. We used to tie our cloths on a line and let them drag behind the ship. True story. Always a way to get your clothes clean.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:24 am

I just use Seventh Generation Free & Clear for all of my laundry and throw my hunting stuff in with my other clothes.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:32 am

I'm always concerned about camo fading from washing too much. Only when I can smell the clothes do I wash and usually its on the most gentle cycle in a washer. Best trick I learned is to turn clothes inside out when washing. Helps keep the dye on the camo.. Drying is line drying outside.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:34 am

And what DeerDylan said.....X2
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:38 am

strutnrut716 wrote:And what DeerDylan said.....X2

Don't need to be deer running all over for the right buck to be there. Scout with stand on your back and wind in your face in season with clothes in whatever state of cleanliness you wish. I just use baking soda in our normal W&D maybe three times a season if I'm feeling motivated.

If you have lots of land around and feel like you only have three spots, the best thing you can do is in-season scout. Best way to add spots imo.

Also, hunting season is long, squeeze a twin, or two, in.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:58 am

Forget the scent free stuff. Relax. Have fun. Ask the twin on a hunting date!!!!!

PLAY THE WIND!!!!!! Be patient. Wait for the correct winds. Take the twin to a movie!!! Be patient!!!

If the wind is all wrong for all your spots and you still want to be in the woods. Even if you can't afford a tag for this year. Go scout some areas in another state. It sounds like you need to expand your areas anyway!!!!!

Be patient a kill will come. If not this year next. Have fun. The journey is what's important!!!!!

Take the twin out to eat!!!!!!

;) ;)
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:01 am

So... The lesson here is.... Life is long, hunting is once a year every year..... Twins are rare...

GRAB A TWIN! :lol: :pray:
-Rick
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:23 am

Okay you guys persuaded me to go out with the twin. When she gets back I'll have a new taxidermist bill to show everyone...

Anyways lol I feel like I look for all the wrong sign when I just go into a spot and look for sign. I need a beast class 101. If Dan came out with "beast hunting for dummies" I would have to read it. I feel like every time I go out I am not seeing the whole picture lol. IDK.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:30 am

What sign are you scouting for? What terrain features are you focusing on?

Judging by the size of you properties it shouldn't take long to grid them off & cover each piece.
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:59 am

I mean I hear all these talks about different terrain features. Like funnels, ridges and all that stuff. Even transition lines. Everything in most my spots are all hard woods. Very very little soft woods. So with ALL hardwoods is it best to set up just outside of an area with a good amount of undergrowth? I mean I can see the terrain features on topo maps. But when I am out in the woods everything looks the same. Beautiful but the same lol. How do you know if the terrain feature is being used? How do you know if its not? lol. It seems like when I go in blind and I think oh this looks like an awesome spot. And I get in tree i get skunked lol. I get that you have to find the bedding areas, but in a new spot like that how do you know where these are if you're walking with the wind in your face and that restricts your scouting?

I see how everything makes sense but I seem to be too incompetent to execute lol. I feel like there is so much I am missing. lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”