Seeing bucks in beds poll.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

I get close enough to see the buck in its bed?

I get close enough to see the buck in the bed 1 - 2 hunts a year.
27%
I get close enough to see the buck in the bed 3 - 4 hunts a year.
4%
I get close enough to see the buck in the bed 5 - 6 hunts a year.
2%
I get close enough to see the buck in the bed 7 - 8 hunts a year.
No votes
I get close enough to see the buck in the bed 9 - 10 hunts a year.
No votes
I get close enough to see the buck in the bed 11 - 12 hunts a year.
4%
I get close enough to see the buck in the bed 13 - 14 hunts a year.
No votes
I get close enough to see the buck in the bed 15 - 16 hunts a year.
No votes
I get close enough to see the buck in the bed 17 - 18 hunts a year.
No votes
I get close enough to see the buck in the bed 19 - 20 hunts a year.
No votes
I get close enough to see the buck in the bed over 20 hunts a year.
No votes
I never get close enough to see the buck in the bed.
63%

Total votes: 52
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Seeing bucks in beds poll.

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:34 am

How many hunters set up on a buck bed and actually see the buck in the bed and get out of the bed?
The moon topic got me to thinking about this. Be honest and remain anonymous if you like.
You can also post up a response it would be much appreciated.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Seeing bucks in beds poll.

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:43 am

Almost never see them in the actual bed its to thick usually and I don't bust around in my bedding areas during season mostly hunt the fringes.I've seen bucks come in and bed down during morning hunts when I hunt in the actual bedding area. I usually don't bring my binocs on a hunt but I'm gonna start this year so I can see in the brush a little further.I shot a bedded buck years ago with a shotgun walked right up on him in very windy conditions.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:49 am

Not counting stumbled upon bucks bedded, but scouted an area and knew where the bed was, and either set up and saw him or saw him rise, or stalked up on a known bed, I've done this numerous times. Even have 3 kills with a bow that I decided to stalk up on bed and kill bucks. All mature deer as well.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:56 am

I have only been able to see the buck in the bed once. However I have seen them stand up. The areas are to thick to see the bucks laying down. Usually I position myself purposely just outside of the view of the bed. It is easier for me to set up undetected this way. Most of my bedding experiences are sighting where I spot the buck after he moves the first 10-20 yards away from the bed.. Or I hear them moving in the thick stuff but dont get a visual confirmation until he hits the inside transition. I have been able to get within 50-60 yrds of the bed with the right setup.. But they r all slightly different. Focusing more on a secure set up seems to be my best route. Getting to close usually results in nothing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:57 am

I am not quite sure how to answer. It does not generally happen for me that way. I put down 1-2 times per year because it does happen but very infrequently.

What happens more frequently is I setup on a bedding area in the morning and watch them come in and lay down or shoot them before they lay down. But it is not a specific bed, it is a bedding area.

The ones I do setup on in afternoon and 'watch get up' are bedding areas where the bucks have enough cover to feel safe but when they stand up the brush is just short enough or has enough openings to shoot them with a gun. So I don't really watch them 'rise' but they generally just appear out of nowhere and I know they just got up out of bed...

Hope that makes any amount of sense.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:09 am

Target buck - seldom, random younger bucks sometimes. Down here the cover is far to thick to see much past 20 -40 yards and our leaf drop is not until later in Nov most years. I typically hunt bedding entrance and exit and sometimes satellite beds are used by younger bucks and I see them.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:14 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Not counting stumbled upon bucks bedded, but scouted an area and knew where the bed was, and either set up and saw him or saw him rise, or stalked up on a known bed, I've done this numerous times. Even have 3 kills with a bow that I decided to stalk up on bed and kill bucks. All mature deer as well.

That's impressive with a bow.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:15 am

Its pretty rare that I can see the buck in the bed. Sometimes I can see them as soon as they stand, but see them in the bed? I can't really answer the poll cause its not never, and its not once a year.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:20 am

I have seen them bedded from my tree numerous times. Probably average a few per year. Never the entire body but mostly just antler tips. Some I never knew were there until they rose from the bed. They are usually very well hidden. Surprised myself a few times that I was able to set up quietly that close to a bedded buck. The only way to do this is extensive scouting and knowing exactly where a primary bed is. Before watching the Marsh Bucks video this has happened zero times. I give all the credit to Dan's teaching. 8-)

rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:29 am

I'm still new to the Beast style of hunting, so I haven't had the opportunity to hunt over a specific bed that I found scouting yet. I will be close to bedding this year, but will be trying to catch him exiting the bedding area. I would love to spot one and try to put a stalk on it like WTA has done.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:38 am

Have never seen one from the tree in a bed, usually too thick where I hunt to pick them out anyway. On my entrance routes I have accidentally bumped nice bucks in the 10 to 30 yards range, I imagine both our hearts were pumping after those encounters.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:51 am

I voted never. My experiences ares similar to Oldranks. I usually hear them coming or see them coming from the bedding area, but I tend to setup on what I think is the edge of what I can safely get away with, which tends to be out of the line of sight. I have one or two new areas this year where my scouted tree will be within sight of the bed because that's the only practical location to setuo, but those spots make me a bit nervous haha.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:55 am

I put 1-2 just based on scouting, only one time have I ever walked in on a buck laying down.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:22 am

I haven't been doing this long enough to cast a vote but I'm confident that I watched a 1 1/2 rise out of his bed on a bench it was too thick to tell but he made his way to me eventually. I did have a buck I bumped bed down nearby a few years ago in that video I shared recently.

Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:47 am

Zero; off the top of my head.
Seen a few once they stand and have heard a lot more get up. Pretty unmistakeable sound whether in wetlands or dry ground. Best rush going when you sneak into a target buck bed, set up, then hear the sound of a deer get up from the predicted area. Game ON

I had the pleasure of having 5 different bucks bed down by me in the same afternoon last year. Oldest was 2. Still pretty cool. It is a buck bedding area. The beds were random at best though.

Have also seen a few bed with in sight in the morning, usually only to get up and relocate once the thermals are set.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”