Lee side approach confusion

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

maukings

Lee side approach confusion

Unread postby maukings » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:44 am

Guys, I've been reading Mapping Trophy bucks. The book talks about inside edges and funnels. It always says to have the wind to your face. I don't get it because my understanding is that bucks will travel on the side of the ridge with wind to their back. If there are ag fields on the sides of these ridges and I only hunt them when the wind is on my face then it will never be on the lee side of the ridge. Can someone explain this to me? My understanding is that it's pointless to hunt hill country with wind on your face because deer will be on the opposite side with the wind to their back.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Re: Lee side approach confusion

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:00 am

'If you only fish with a chartreuse colored bait, you will probably catch fish and recommend to others to use a chartreuse colored bait as well' - Stanley

Moral of the story, there are lots of ways to kill bucks, especially during the rut. So if you put the wind in your face, you will likely kill bucks doing that. Especially rut hunting saddles and funnels.

Also, bucks moving with wind to back or wind to face seems to be very regional.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:04 am

PK_ wrote:'If you only fish with a chartreuse colored bait, you will probably catch fish and recommend to others to use a chartreuse colored bait as well' - Stanley

Moral of the story, there are lots of ways to kill bucks, especially during the rut. So if you put the wind in your face, you will likely kill bucks doing that. Especially rut hunting saddles and funnels.

Also, bucks moving with wind to back or wind to face seems to be very regional.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Great post.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
maukings

Unread postby maukings » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:30 am

Can you elaborate more? Im just as confused

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:58 am

Guys, I've been reading Mapping Trophy bucks. The book talks about inside edges and funnels. It always says to have the wind to your face. I don't get it because my understanding is that bucks will travel on the side of the ridge with wind to their back

I have not read the book... However, if he is talking about rut and hunting funnels, and your talking about hill country. The most common travel is not "wind to back" its cross wind as they walk along the leeward side at the thermal tunnel elevation.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:59 am

Dan's on it.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:14 am

So you're saying that they kind of walk at an angle so that they catch the scent as they scent check it.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:21 am

I have read the book and he does talk a bout hunting leeward sides in one section(though he doesn't refer to them by that name).

He says he will walk with the wind at his back from the top of a hillside and setup just below the crest because the wind will cause a vacuum pulling air up the hillside into his face. That is exactly what we talk about here with the thermal or wind tunnel, top 3rd, etc.

what I was saying in my other post is if he hunts a certain way (walking into the wind, setting up for bucks traveling with a tailwind) he will probably have some success doing that. Another hunter may access with a crosswind or tailwind if that is what it takes to avoid 'deery' areas and then setup where the thermals or terrain funnels the wind in his favor. He too will find success. So there is no one right or wrong way.

For instance. Let's say there are two long leeward hillsides that do not connect. Herndon walks with the wind in his face to a saddle that is between both leeward hills. Dan is hunting adjacent to a few leeward bedding points. Bighunt walks with the wind at his back across an open top and then sits t the head of a deep ravine. Bucky walks in crosswind along a creek bottom then cuts up into a nasty cut and climbs up to a converging hub. Autumn ninja sets up on a windward hillside but he can shoot across to the leeward ridge where there is a thermal hub.

Each hunter shoots a mature buck in a weeks span. All with different strategies. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Find out what works for you in your area and the way you like to hunt. Use your head and you will find success. That is all I was trying to say.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:45 am

I just finished the book for the first time about a month ago and I was also confused with some of his tactics when it came to playing the wind. Some of the scenarios seemed backwards from what is talked about here.

I thought it was a good book and will read it again, but I'm playing the wind as the Beast's do.

“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
maukings

Unread postby maukings » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:16 pm

PK_ wrote:I have read the book and he does talk a bout hunting leeward sides in one section(though he doesn't refer to them by that name).

He says he will walk with the wind at his back from the top of a hillside and setup just below the crest because the wind will cause a vacuum pulling air up the hillside into his face. That is exactly what we talk about here with the thermal or wind tunnel, top 3rd, etc.

what I was saying in my other post is if he hunts a certain way (walking into the wind, setting up for bucks traveling with a tailwind) he will probably have some success doing that. Another hunter may access with a crosswind or tailwind if that is what it takes to avoid 'deery' areas and then setup where the thermals or terrain funnels the wind in his favor. He too will find success. So there is no one right or wrong way.

For instance. Let's say there are two long leeward hillsides that do not connect. Herndon walks with the wind in his face to a saddle that is between both leeward hills. Dan is hunting adjacent to a few leeward bedding points. Bighunt walks with the wind at his back across an open top and then sits t the head of a deep ravine. Bucky walks in crosswind along a creek bottom then cuts up into a nasty cut and climbs up to a converging hub. Autumn ninja sets up on a windward hillside but he can shoot across to the leeward ridge where there is a thermal hub.

Each hunter shoots a mature buck in a weeks span. All with different strategies. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Find out what works for you in your area and the way you like to hunt. Use your head and you will find success. That is all I was trying to say.

Super helpful thanks!

msailor

Unread postby msailor » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 pm

I have read the book, but a long time ago. I think all the author was saying was be sure to have your scent blowing towards the field [the "v" of the inside corner]. I never got the picture that he was describing the deer will move in with a cross wind, wind at back, wind in face; he was describing a landscape feature that funnels deer.

I killed a 156" Nov 3, 2014. The buck was walking past an inside corner on the windy (non-lee) side of the hill. Think out farther than your stand site because it all depends why bucks are passing through the funnel. In my case the buck was checking exit trails from a standing corn field and moving past the funnel to invade a doe bedding area.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:17 am

PK_ wrote:I have read the book and he does talk a bout hunting leeward sides in one section(though he doesn't refer to them by that name).

For instance. Let's say there are two long leeward hillsides that do not connect. Herndon walks with the wind in his face to a saddle that is between both leeward hills. Dan is hunting adjacent to a few leeward bedding points. Bighunt walks with the wind at his back across an open top and then sits t the head of a deep ravine. [glow=red]Bucky walks in crosswind along a creek bottom then cuts up into a nasty cut and climbs up to a converging hub[/glow]. Autumn ninja sets up on a windward hillside but he can shoot across to the leeward ridge where there is a thermal hub.

This gets my vote the majority of the time

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”