Opening attack... What's ur's?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

VilasCo

Re: Opening attack... What's ur's?

Unread postby VilasCo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:51 am

Opening weekend I will be in SE WI to try to get a couple does in the freezer. My goal is to hunt does in the morning and hunt buck beds in the evenings.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:05 pm

Well well well...here we are, 10 days before the opener. Funny how that happens. Season opener just kind of snuck up on me. Acorns are just really starting to hit the ground...waiting on everything to change.

So opening plans are still up in the air. Brand new ground will do that to you.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:31 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:Well well well...here we are, 10 days before the opener. Funny how that happens. Season opener just kind of snuck up on me. Acorns are just really starting to hit the ground...waiting on everything to change.

So opening plans are still up in the air. Brand new ground will do that to you.

As well as seasonal weather conditions too...
DRY - DRY - DRY...
Focus on water-puddles that used to be water-holes!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:29 am

There is one particular buck that is going to have my full attention until I get him or screw it up. I haven't seen him a single time glassing but have him on trail camera a lot this summer. Last picture I had of him was on August 3rd. Up until then I had a pretty good idea of exactly where he was staying but now I'm not so sure. Opening day is Thursday and we're supposed to have some rain Wednesday evening. My plan is to walk the dirt road that kind of runs parallel to the three main bedding areas on that side of the property and see if I can find any fresh tracks after the rain. If I can find some heading towards the beds I'm diving right in. Otherwise I'm going to sit an observation stand.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:58 am

Get Dad out at the property and get him on some deer. Got him set up by the creek with a good setup. He's been shooting his bow all summer with me and really look forward to him enjoying this bowseason.
I'm not getting serious until later in october.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:29 am

With only a couple days to go here in Wisconsin my tentative plan is to hunt newer clear cut edge in the morning for an observation sit(or possibly send an arrow at a lone doe if one happens to show up) I'm going to try and push myself to get a doe kill on film this year so that is on the list. Saturday night will be a few thousand acres of county land away along a bedding area I found spring scouting. Also this will be my first time hunting with the new to me lone wolf hang on and sticks. Good luck to everyone that will be out hunting!

Hunter

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:28 pm

Heading to a special regulation area 3 hours away for their Saturday opener. Found 2 pontential buck bedding areas last archery season that looked like they were used early season last year. I setup 2 cams in late july on trails leading from the bedding areas and plan to hunt the one with the best intel. Locally I am going to do an evening obversation sit in an area that I know big bucks use, but I have not been able to pin point their location yet.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:35 pm

Right now my plan is to fill the hole in the freezer. Today's doe will make a good start.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Opening day starts here sept 24th. I have a full week of vacation the last week of September. I have 9 days to bow hunt. There is a deer camp near some public ground that I plan to stay at opening weekend. Some are friends and I'm sure I will meet new friends also there, they are excellent salt of the earth public land deer hunters. As far as details of the hunt, I'm still up in the air about that. The camp will be lots of fun no matter what happens with my hunt opening weekend. I don't have anything to prove and will make sure I'm having fun. I have worked so hard with all my scouting and preparations that I'm going to step back and enjoy the weekend without any obligations on killing. It's my vacation and my first order of business will be to celebrate deer season and have a great experience. I have worked hard all summer doing overtime to be able to enjoy this time.

Monday comes I will make my own moves, break away from the crowd, drive to different hunting grounds and get serious about some solo hunting! I am going to have a blast either way.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:55 pm

Looks like we will have a West wind on Saturday, I have two spots in mind, one is ground pound and another is a spot I had a decent looking (crummy pic, hard to tell) buck come through 45 minutes after dark.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mrmystic73

Unread postby Mrmystic73 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:05 pm

I'm a meat Hunter but I'm going to be patient with the one buck I'm permitted to harvest. Unfortunately the 5k acre Marsh I usually hunt is under quarantine for CWD and, since I process my own harvests and the deer can't leave the township, I'll be hunting a relatively new area this year. I do love an adventure!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Tentative plan is to take my Dad out in the evening. Wife works an overnight so my morning hunt is out. Have to stay home with my daughter.

So far they're forecasting a NW wind which is prevailing around here so I have plenty of options. Might head to private and sit a couple hundred yards apart with each of us watching travel corridors (small drainages) coming out of standing corn.

Really hoping to get Dad a buck. He said he's not going to be too picky. Pretty sure any 8 point is in trouble...

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:50 am

Jodi and I are headed to western Wisconsin. Going to storm this evening I'm hoping to glass tonight. Haven't had cams or glassed sence early august because of bear hunting. Well see what comes out tonight for observation. In the morning were sitting a water hole 150-175 yards from a bedding area in between the food source and bedding. She's up to bat first
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:56 am

My plan is to shoot a doe this weekend with my longbow in Michigan. We have a two day early doe season. Buck hunting doesn't start till oct1. Sept 24 in Ohio don't have a solid plan gonna fly by the seat of my pants.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:02 am

I have two bedding areas I'll be hunting the evenings on this weekend. Tomorrow morning I have a kids soccer game then dinner commitments, so hunting one close to the house that I confirmed buck bedding in March, but haven't had a chance to spot check at all. Heavily hunted property that has probably seen lots of dove hunters so far, and this is a bit of an overlooked marshy bowl I think they probably push into once the activity starts about an acre in size that looked to get used frequently in spring scouting. Wish I had a better handle on food in the area right now, but have a tree picked out to get in pretty close that I should be able to at least see if anything gets up even if it heads the wrong way.

Sunday heading further out to primary bedding on an oxbow that I jumped a good buck on the last day of late season last year.

Tentatively planning for a mid week trip north next week to get in tight on some red oaks that looked pretty loaded in July that are in on some bedding and traditionally get hammered the first two weeks of the year in good nut years. That is a doe hunt for the most part, but there is buck bedding about 100 yards away so should have a shot at a doe, and decent buck is also in play. Following morning will be back in our swamp by some oaks that often are a stop on the way back to bedding in the cedars/tags. This spot is deep enough that usually see some arrival after shooting light.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”