Stand height

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tysonhunter

Stand height

Unread postby tysonhunter » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:16 pm

Ok so finally purchased and watched hill country and had quite a few ahhh hah moments throughout. One question I have is in the area of timber and hills I hunt, for me to hunt the leeward side of a hill, above the top 1/3 elevation thermal tunnel it puts me just above the crest or top of the ravine. Obviously not each hill on my place is like this but a majority is in other words putting me eye level with the deer should they come from high side. Am I missing something or looking at something wrong or is this normal or acceptable?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Stand height

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:24 am

I still ask about stand placement. Some guys can get right in on them, im still conservative It will vary bed to bed - wind conditions to wind conditions. Sometimes you will have to back off due to various factors. To answer your question, yes the closer you are and higher you get is a chance he will be looking at you. Take an orange vest scouting, hang it above the bed while you pick trees. Some guys can get right in on them, im still conservative. Here are some vids about what your asking
Dans video on stand setup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Y12DR ... w&index=19

Hunting Beast Episode #3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD396sl ... MR&index=6
tysonhunter

Unread postby tysonhunter » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:54 am

Well this isn't just about a bedded buck spotting me in the stand however that's one point. The other concern is anything approaching from higher elevations would be eye level with me in my stand.

sethg

Unread postby sethg » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:01 am

tysonhunter wrote:Well this isn't just about a bedded buck spotting me in the stand however that's one point. The other concern is anything approaching from higher elevations would be eye level with me in my stand.

I don't think you'll be able to avoid that in steep hills/ mountains. if the thermal tunnel is at the 1/3rd elevation, and you set up right above it, then there is always a chance that deer above you will be at eye level. IMO that's the nature of the beast where I hunt, and in steep hills/ Appalachian mtns.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:33 am

Sorry I misunderstood what you where asking exactly. There are many threads about this, but it is more for the thermal tunnel issue.
You can get away w being a little eye level in a stand, you cant get away w scent.
Yes your other question can be an issue, but keep in mind you are going to scout these areas for trails in / out and satellite deer so you at least put some of the picture together so you can have some expectations. You will find these travel routes tend to be alike on many ridges. Satellite deer will make you have to adjust a lot.

IDK if I helped or made it worse for you man LOL

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”