Merino Wool Sale

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Merino Wool Sale

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:17 am

http://www.icebreaker.com/en/web-spe...er&prefv1=Mens

Scroll to the bottom. I have some of their stuff and some stuff from First Lite. They're both top top notch. Merino is the balls for hunting. Cool when it's warm, warm when it's cool, very quiet, and naturally odor resistant. Also keeps you warm when it's wet, dries quickly and wicks moisture away from your body when you sweat. This last season I wore 100% merino on all my outings and I'll never go back to nylon or polyester. There is no doubt and can be no argument made - it is the single best clothing material for you to hunt in.

Last season I wore merino as a base (minus33), merino as a mid layer (First Lite Kanab pants and First Lite Chama zip up hoodie) and then wore the Ice Breaker Helix zip up if I got cold. This was sufficient all last season to keep me warm enough here in Massachusetts. No heavy jacket. No heavy insulated pants... No having to haul that clothing to the stand on my pack.

Merino is a super material to make clothing from. The problem is it's expensive - very in fact. But Ice Breaker has marked some of their stuff down 75% which is very cool. I have the Helix long sleeve zip up sweater and it's awesome. I paid full price for it a year ago about 250.00 (which is expensive for a sweater/jacket you wear just to hunt) but at the sale price I bought 2 more...

Get while the getting is good.

Beauford

Re: Merino Wool Sale

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:39 am

How does the size run for the Helix zip up sweater? Would I want L for normal & underneath or XL as outer layer?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:29 am

I rock it in med as my third layer over a Minus33 med weight base and a First Lite Charma zip up hoodie. Med is my normal size for shirts, jackets, etc. So I would say you'll be fine unless you try to wear something really thick under it.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:35 am

Thanks

[ Post made via Android ] Image
RBrave

Unread postby RBrave » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:41 am

Thank you for posting this. Now I will have dedicated hunting clothes, because there is no way my wife will be seen in public with me wearing all camo!

Seriously though - over $400 off on the order I just put in. Goes to show how expensive this stuff usually is and how great a discount they are giving.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:34 am

Nice sale! Thanks. Any idea whats the difference between the RealFLEECE Sierra Long Sleeve Zip and the Helix Long Sleeve Zip? It's only $18 difference but I cant really tell whats different between the 2?
RBrave

Unread postby RBrave » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:33 pm

Looks like the Helix has some loft to it, and is therefore rated a bit warmer, than the other one. Weird that the fleece says 200 weight, which is the same as the lightweight base layers - the crew is $25, add the zip for a few bucks extra (half zips are the best for layering, in my opinion).

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Just placed an order on the realfleece sierra and the long sleeve crewe (didn't have the half zip in LG). I think for what I'm wanting the helix might be a little too heavy. Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”