Better Topo Maps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bobbo1686

Better Topo Maps

Unread postby bobbo1686 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:21 pm

I'm a new member here and as I stated in my introduction to the group I am a GIS analyst. I use, create, and analyze maps and their component data on a daily basis for work. However, I also use them religiously for hunting. One problem I've found is that generally the topo maps out there that are found online or even those for purchase just don't have the detail that we as hunters need to fine tune our setups or to see the real picture of what is happening on the ground. Generally most mapping can get us in the area but then boots on the ground are needed to ground truth our desktop reviews. This is where I have taken mapping to the next level and create 5' or even 2' contours for my hunting spots or those I'm going to check out. This helps me get a much clearer picture of what's happening in hilly country and even flat swamp land where topo maps are generally not as helpful as aerials. I have included a sample of a typical 24K topo map and then in the other picture I have my 5' contours overlaid on the same topo. I can create this data in a PDF format with included property lines if available, which you could print out. I can also get this out in a KMZ format which can be used in Google Earth to get a better understanding of the true terrain in your area. Google Earth is only has accurate as their data. If you've ever looked at Google Earth in a wooded area and there is a clear-cut it will appear as though there is a depression because Google used data based on the canopy height and not the ground height. Take a look and PM me if you're interested.ImageImage

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Better Topo Maps

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:39 am

Pretty cool and definitely reveals better bedding locations then standard topos IMHO.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:39 am

Where does the data come from for the 2' increments? Or are you just filling in the blanks by averaging the distance?
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:46 am

csoult wrote:Where does the data come from for the 2' increments? Or are you just filling in the blanks by averaging the distance?

I second this question. If the info isn't extrapolated from the 12' lines (and is obtained from a separate source) I may be interested in having a few properties done in KMZ format... Really looks like an amazing tool to have for my area. Northeast Texas can seem as flat as a frying pan at 12' increments.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
bobbo1686

Unread postby bobbo1686 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:04 am

IkemanTx wrote:
csoult wrote:Where does the data come from for the 2' increments? Or are you just filling in the blanks by averaging the distance?

I second this question. If the info isn't extrapolated from the 12' lines (and is obtained from a separate source) I may be interested in having a few properties done in KMZ format... Really looks like an amazing tool to have for my area. Northeast Texas can seem as flat as a frying pan at 12' increments.

The data is LiDar based. There is no extrapolation of data here. If the LiDar data doesn't exist in your area then I can't do the analysis. In my opinion extrapolation is no better then what you are already viewing on a normal 24K topo, and you can extrapolate by eye better than what you would get manually anyways due to the many variables that shape the landscape. Please PM me to discuss further details of the extent of the area you would like the analysis done on.
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:34 am

The love those 5' contours. That could really help figure out bedding areas.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:24 am

That is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:29 am

Are these similar in anyway to Hunterra maps?
[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
bobbo1686

Unread postby bobbo1686 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:49 am

SonofUlam wrote:Are these similar in anyway to Hunterra maps?

It is more accurate than Hunterra Maps. From what I have seen Hunterra Maps uses standard 24K Topo base maps for their contours at 10' between lines. Depending on the area I can do down to 2' between lines. What Hunterra does is add a standard topo and available imagery to a hillshade overlay which gives it a 3d look. Also I can provide you with a PDF map to use which you can print over and over again unlike Hunterra, which appears to charge for each map they print and send. I can also send out a KMZ/KML which can be used in Google Earth and other mobile applications.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:56 am

That's awesome! So I don't know the language or software or what LiDar based means... I just learned how to save a map and upload it to other devices so im a newb. I basically screen shot everything and use my cell w offline maps. Few questions on this if you don't mind;
*Is this a service you are offering to sell?
*Just to be sure I was reading correctly, this is a program or site that has these increments which you can place over the original map? But not all areas have been mapped so not every ones areas can be done?
*When you say PDF, do you mean you can make something like this: https://extra.mdc.mo.gov/documents/area ... 603map.pdf
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:04 am

bobbo1686 wrote:
IkemanTx wrote:

The data is LiDar based. There is no extrapolation of data here. If the LiDar data doesn't exist in your area then I can't do the analysis. In my opinion extrapolation is no better then what you are already viewing on a normal 24K topo, and you can extrapolate by eye better than what you would get manually anyways due to the many variables that shape the landscape. Please PM me to discuss further details of the extent of the area you would like the analysis done on.

I won't be back home for a week. But, when I get there I will PM you and get you some KMZ's of the property outlines I'm looking at.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
bobbo1686

Unread postby bobbo1686 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:57 am

Darkknight54 wrote:That's awesome! So I don't know the language or software or what LiDar based means... I just learned how to save a map and upload it to other devices so im a newb. I basically screen shot everything and use my cell w offline maps. Few questions on this if you don't mind;
*Is this a service you are offering to sell?
*Just to be sure I was reading correctly, this is a program or site that has these increments which you can place over the original map? But not all areas have been mapped so not every ones areas can be done?
*When you say PDF, do you mean you can make something like this: https://extra.mdc.mo.gov/documents/area ... 603map.pdf

Yes this is a service I will be offering to sell. If it was really easy and not time consuming I would just help guys out with it but it does take some time and effort to get put together. I have actually been using them for myself for a long time and not until I became a member here did I think to do this for other people. Pretty much day one I've had people asking me about this type of thing so I just thought I would give it a try.

To answer your second question. This isn't a program or site. I actually have to find the raw data and run it through programs to get it into a form where it is just contours. That's why not all areas will be available. It just depends on if the area that you want the contours for has been flown and LiDar data collected. It may have even been flown but the data was collected in a course manner over the area and I still may not be able to accurately extrude contours of less than 10'.

As far as PDF, yes the link is a PDF and I can create a map of your area with an Aerial background, property boundaries (if they exist), and the the 2-5' contours on them in that format. I can do this for a small property on an 8.5x11 all the way up to a large 36x48 sized map. I personally think for the smaller contours to be useful you will want to be zoomed in closer, so I will break up the area into several pages so you can still see what is going on without needing to be zoomed way out.
bobbo1686

Unread postby bobbo1686 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:58 am

IkemanTx wrote:
bobbo1686 wrote:
IkemanTx wrote:

I won't be back home for a week. But, when I get there I will PM you and get you some KMZ's of the property outlines I'm looking at.

Sounds good!
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:23 am

LIDAR?
"In the deed, the glory"
JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:37 am

You throwin in a free magnifying glass with that? :shock: