How early do you like to be setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MNHUNTER23

How early do you like to be setup?

Unread postby MNHUNTER23 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Lets say your planning on setting up within 100 yards of a buck bed that's a mile back into a swamp on opening day. What time would you guys want to be setup in the stand for an evening hunt? I'm just getting into the beast style and wondering if you guys do things any different than I would do. I would want to be setup no later than 5:30 typically. How do you like to do it?

Dewey

Re: How early do you like to be setup?

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:41 pm

I'm usually headed in by noon. I like to go slow and enjoy my time on stand especially on opening day. I rarely sit less than 5 hrs on an evening hunt no matter what. Getting out late and rushing ruins most bed hunts before they even start. I believe the closer you get to prime time the more alert the bucks will be. Typically mid-afternoon winds can cover a lot of your noise and die down as you get closer to dark making it much harder to sneak in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:54 pm

I agree with Dewey but it depends on the location. If I can wait till two hours before dusk to slip in, I will. However, most places require me to leave by about 12:00 noon due to distance and leaves on the ground.Even when I start that early I often feel like I am late when I get to the tree.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:56 pm

I'm in agreement with Dewey. Outside of the deer being more alert later in the afternoon, I hate having people on public know where I'm headed or walk past someone so being first to leave the parking lot and the last to return helps avoid unwanted conversation and people seeing what you're doing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:01 pm

purebowhunting wrote:I'm in agreement with Dewey. Outside of the deer being more alert later in the afternoon, I hate having people on public know where I'm headed or walk past someone so being first to leave the parking lot and the last to return helps avoid unwanted conversation and people seeing what you're doing.

Forgot to add that part, thanks for mentioning. Another reason why I like going in early. I'm usually the first in and last out. Too many nosey hunters out there looking for shortcuts.

purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:18 pm

I want to add this. I try to hunt after work on week days as much as possible early season and on those days I'm looking at maybe 1-2 hours of sitting time. In those cases you just have to make due, but I'd prefer to get out at noon if possible. On these days I'm not pushing into my best beds setups.
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:42 pm

I always try to give myself more time than I think I need, but usually like to be setup about 3 hrs before I expect movement. By not being rushed I can scout my way in and change my game plan accordingly if I see hot sign.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:32 pm

The other advantage of going in early and not being in anyway rushed is you can take time to cool off and not be so sweaty by the time you get to your stand. I just feel like I am stealthier when I'm not burning up. I also don't get frustrated nearly as quickly if something doesn't go exactly right...especially if hanging sticks and stand or using a climber. Either one is much better done in a methodical and non- hurried manner.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
keepthefevercalls

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:08 pm

When thinking about hill country, do you guys go in early still and set up on a cross wind? Or do you hang out and then set up in close as the thermals change? That would stress me out being a newbie.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:24 am

My bad back dictates the length on stand.
3-advil = +/- 3 hours

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:30 am

Deer are much more alert the last hours of the day... More likely to spook. And, if you do make A NOTICABLE NOISE THE BUCK IS MORE LIKELY TO FORGET ABOUT IT OVER TIME.
Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:43 am

The only thing I don't like about being there real early is, that gives the area more time to fill up with your scent, possibly giving the buck more of a chance to get your wind. No wind stays consistent forever, and the longer you are there, the more of a chance it has to swirl-change for a bit, and alert the target buck....

My .02
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:52 am

I get off work at 3:30 on weekdays. Which means by the time I get out to my stand it could be anywhere from 2 to 4 hours until dark depending on how far of a drive and how long of a walk it is. Once daylight savings is over I can only hunt weekends, Vacation days and holidays. If I'm off work and don't have a time constraint, I like to be headed towards my stand around noon.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
whitetaildna
Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitetaildna

Unread postby whitetaildna » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:07 am

For me, the situation and location dictate what I do. I hunt mostly public land, and like to be the first one there, so nobody sees me head in, as I like to park in an area that doesn't give away where I actually head to. When I have a spot where I don't have to worry about this, I like to go in early enough in the afternoon where I can take my time and be very cautious about my movements and noise I make, but not so early that I have to worry about wind shifts, etc. if that makes sense.
Alex Comstock

Founder of WhitetailDNA

http://www.whitetaildna.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”