The PROS-sloppy? compromising ethics? or uneducated?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Re: The PROS-sloppy? compromising ethics? or uneducated?

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:55 am

ttrep wrote:Teddy sums it up in this video come on people just hunt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfdgUlZPFKI

I agree to a point............ 8-)

lungbuster
500 Club

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:13 am

Smoked'em wrote:So where does the profit come from? Are the shows asking for more than just production/airtime fee's from the sponsors? How do Lee & Tiff afford their 6 farms of 600-1,200 acres and their beautiful log home with giant pole barn full of toys?

No one enjoys watching Mr. comedic redneck himself hunt out of a huge tower blind looking over brush country with multiple road sized shooting lanes with over 30 deer surrounding him at a time - it's not realistic and who can relate?

Of course the ad packages shows sell thier sponsors include more than just costs involved, if they didn't they could not make a living. Ted Nugent gets somewhere in the range of $80k per full sponsorship package.........and others get more. If they didn't they would not be doing it as a profession but as a sideline. And by the way, that is the only reason "they" are called professional hunters, because they do it as thier profession,not because they nessasarily know more than the average hunter (you would think they should seeing as it is thier job, but some just don't have a clue). So the next timesomeone calls themselves a Pro hunter take it for what it is, hunting is thier profession, they don't always know more than you do about the sport of hunting.

As for Mr. "you might be a redneck" there are obviously enough people watching his show to deem it profitable or he wouldn't be on the air. No it does not appeal to me, but I know people that do enjoy his show..........So in a nutshell, just because the show doesn't appeal to you because of the style or the percieved "ethics" or lack thereof, doesn't mean someone in Tx, or Wy, doesn't enjoy watching it. To each thier own......I think the entire purpose ofthis thread was to complain about bad shows, and if it is poor production and bad choices thyat are being made on these shows, I agree there are some really rotten ones on tv right now........but if it is because the content isn't your cup of tea, don't watch.

BTW for those of you that don't know , I host and produce a hunting show. Do I call myself a Pro hunter, no, but i is part of my profession. Do I have a pro-staff, yes, but the definition of pro-staff is promotional staff. They are in place to help to promote the show and our hunting beliefs, not to call themselves Pros or to portray themselves as better hunters than anyone else. Do I have great hunters on my staff, sure do, but they are all equally humble and always willing to learn something new. So that is why I take it very seriously when the bashing of hunting shows starts every winter on theforums........most of the bashing is unfounded, while some of it is true and there are ways to get those crappy shows off the air.......but don't lay into every show on TV because of a few bad ones please,take the time to really look at what goes into putting a quality show together and then make your judgements.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Uncle Ted is great.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:23 pm

lungbuster wrote:
Smoked'em wrote:So where does the profit come from? Are the shows asking for more than just production/airtime fee's from the sponsors? How do Lee & Tiff afford their 6 farms of 600-1,200 acres and their beautiful log home with giant pole barn full of toys?

No one enjoys watching Mr. comedic redneck himself hunt out of a huge tower blind looking over brush country with multiple road sized shooting lanes with over 30 deer surrounding him at a time - it's not realistic and who can relate?

Of course the ad packages shows sell thier sponsors include more than just costs involved, if they didn't they could not make a living. Ted Nugent gets somewhere in the range of $80k per full sponsorship package.........and others get more. If they didn't they would not be doing it as a profession but as a sideline. And by the way, that is the only reason "they" are called professional hunters, because they do it as thier profession,not because they nessasarily know more than the average hunter (you would think they should seeing as it is thier job, but some just don't have a clue). So the next timesomeone calls themselves a Pro hunter take it for what it is, hunting is thier profession, they don't always know more than you do about the sport of hunting.

As for Mr. "you might be a redneck" there are obviously enough people watching his show to deem it profitable or he wouldn't be on the air. No it does not appeal to me, but I know people that do enjoy his show..........So in a nutshell, just because the show doesn't appeal to you because of the style or the percieved "ethics" or lack thereof, doesn't mean someone in Tx, or Wy, doesn't enjoy watching it. To each thier own......I think the entire purpose ofthis thread was to complain about bad shows, and if it is poor production and bad choices thyat are being made on these shows, I agree there are some really rotten ones on tv right now........but if it is because the content isn't your cup of tea, don't watch.

BTW for those of you that don't know , I host and produce a hunting show. Do I call myself a Pro hunter, no, but i is part of my profession. Do I have a pro-staff, yes, but the definition of pro-staff is promotional staff. They are in place to help to promote the show and our hunting beliefs, not to call themselves Pros or to portray themselves as better hunters than anyone else. Do I have great hunters on my staff, sure do, but they are all equally humble and always willing to learn something new. So that is why I take it very seriously when the bashing of hunting shows starts every winter on theforums........most of the bashing is unfounded, while some of it is true and there are ways to get those crappy shows off the air.......but don't lay into every show on TV because of a few bad ones please,take the time to really look at what goes into putting a quality show together and then make your judgements.
Good Info and post LB. 8-) Best of luck with your hunting show.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:29 pm

LungBuster, I could tell from your first response my post(s) seem to have struck a nerve and for that I apologize. I didn't mean to necessarily offend/bash and certainly was not directed at you but at the hillbillys I saw on TV last weekend(i dont get at the TV very often). I know you run a hunting show/production business and I think it is great, even more great that you are part of this site and will most definitely portray views/tactics here than garbage most of us have been witnessing. You were right when you stated the intention was not to bash hunting styles but the rotten shows on tv in my initial post. That was my whole point. I don't support one "style" of hunting over another but I do support certain choices over another. Since posting this and reading your comments I've spent some time on your website and really like the footage I've seen and the quality of the hunts. I wish you the best of luck in your airing of your show on national television this january. I think you will be a success and when I write letters of complaint to sponsors as you've suggested I will list you as being a better option. ;) Best of luck and thanks for opening our eyes as to the amount of production costs...I still think the frontal shot is not a good one though :lol: Best of luck man!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Smoked'em

Unread postby Smoked'em » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:20 am

LB, where would one find your show on the channel guide?

Mr. Redneck himself stays on the air because he (his sponsors)pays for the programming - didn't you say that's how it works?
Smoked'em

Unread postby Smoked'em » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:45 am

Since these shows live off sponsor dollars, what options would such a pro have if they don't promote scent products and camo patterns?
onebuck

Unread postby onebuck » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:56 pm

I agree with most of the posts. I do find myself watching hunting shows once in awhile and wondering why. They are all very similar in nature. One thing that irks me is that these guys are generally talking in stand, moving around etc. and all of a sudden a 180" buck trots out right under them. You can hear them whispering and looking at one another "is it a shooter?". Meanwhile the buck is clueless. Try that on public land once. Good luck. The deer they are hunting are more or less tame.

I'd love to see a show based on pure public land hunting, you'd have to have a huge pro-staff or solicit home videos. But how cool would it be to see 100% public kills, real world stuff, show the good the bad and the ugly. BBO videos and Whitetail Adrenaline videos are about the closest thing although they are not 100% public kills. Whitetail adrenaline hunts a lot of MFL land which I (am I a public snob?) don't consider to be true public land.

I used to have Dish Network which had a channel called the Mens channel. It was mostly low budget stuff, the quality poor...but you know what? These low budget guys are more like us than the so called experts such as Wadell and Lee and Tiffany. Some of those shows were pretty entertaining, I think with any art the more fame you get the more distorted your view of reality gets. That's what these "pros" are...they are actors, not hunters. It's a shame that in the name of their art they are sometimes pointlessly killing or wounding animals.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:28 pm

[quote="BackWoodsHunter"]LungBuster, I could tell from your first response my post(s) seem to have struck a nerve .../quote]

I know chris pretty well, I dont think you struck a nerve, he's got pretty thick skin. I think he is just giving us another perspective of the hunting show industry.

This is a pretty good topic, interesting opinions on this subject.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
lungbuster
500 Club

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Smoked'em wrote:Since these shows live off sponsor dollars, what options would such a pro have if they don't promote scent products and camo patterns?

There are a ton of resources hunting and other that don't have a thing to do with scent elimination or camo.......if you think about it I'm sure you will realize this.Scent products and camo are only two venues in an industry with thousands of products, but even though there are soo many companies that cater to hunting, the industry is still saturated from 117 TV shows and hundreds of DVD making companies al looking for a piece of the pie. So if you are to make it in the industry right now you have to think outside the box. ;)
Also alot of "pro's" have other sources of income throughout the year, consumer and trade show appearances, (yes they get paid to sign your autographs), speaking seminars, endorsements, (look at all the "stuff" with bone collector or drury on it)Lee actually does not own all those farms in Iowa and Kansas, he has an "arraignment" to manage them for the property owner.
But the bread and butter comes from the sponsors, they pay for the hunts and costs involved along with the "pros" cost of living, it is a business just like any other. Do some "pros" take money from thier sponsors with no regard to what it is they are hocking, sure do, just ask Dan how many times a big name hunter bought Lone Wolf stuff from Andrea after the show, so thier sponsor wouldn't know about it.
Is this good business? NO WAY, but it is how greedy some have become. On the other hand there are those like myself that only promote products we use and believe in, so all I am saying is before you go and bash all hunting shows on TV, stop and think about the good ones and if none of them appeal to you, don't watch. But don't come on here just to bash the entire industry for the bad ones.

Backwoods, I know what you were trying to say when you originally posted this and I appreciate you taking the time to check out my work. If everyone would contact those sponsors that promote bad shows we would see a remarkable increase in the quality of what is on TV, the cream would rise to the top and the chaf would drop out of sight.
I enjoy helping people learn more about the TV hunting industy, what I hate is someone casting a wide net over the entire community and calling it all crap or saying we are all know nothings that have everything handed to us. :|
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:03 pm

I do apologize the title of my post was too broad but I think all my posts have been specific. I do agree the guys flailing there arms are ridiculous. I too would love to see a hunting show strictly on public land but I can understand the sponsors need results and public land isn't always conducive to this. I look forward to seeing your program on TV in January.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
lungbuster
500 Club

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:14 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I do apologize the title of my post was too broad but I think all my posts have been specific. I do agree the guys flailing there arms are ridiculous. I too would love to see a hunting show strictly on public land but I can understand the sponsors need results and public land isn't always conducive to this. I look forward to seeing your program on TV in January.

Backwoods, I was not saying you were the one painting a broad stroke, you have been very topic specific. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”