Hopefully Another Good Debate

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Hopefully Another Good Debate

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:08 am

Russell Hull of Kansas fame swore by a vanilla cover scent, he had a few brutes to his credit back a few decades ago.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:22 am

Id rather spend my money on a pack of broadheads. I dont doubt that it may work as an attractant n may be investigated as a possible food source by deer but in my mind I hate putting anything down that adds scent. My reason being is that in hunting public land, im sure every guy n his brother have tried this stuff already. The amount of scent wicks i pick up yearly numbers in the dozens. Same with bait piles n rattling n calling.. In the right circumstances they may work but I bet the guys using them wrong n educating deer far out number the guys using them right. A good set up beats anything a guy can ever put in a bag.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:27 am

oldrank wrote:Id rather spend my money on a pack of broadheads. I dont doubt that it may work as an attractant n may be investigated as a possible food source by deer but in my mind I hate putting anything down that adds scent. My reason being is that in hunting public land, im sure every guy n his brother have tried this stuff already. The amount of scent wicks i pick up yearly numbers in the dozens. Same with bait piles n rattling n calling.. In the right circumstances they may work but I bet the guys using them wrong n educating deer far out number the guys using them right. A good set up beats anything a guy can ever put in a bag.

This^^^

Hauntedwaters

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:59 am

DeerDylan wrote:
Hauntedwaters wrote:I've used nose jammer the past two seasons. I spray it above my head on the tree, not on my boots when I walk in. I have had three shooters within 20 yards of me, and two of those deer were within 5 yards under my stand. One walked in circles around my tree and out to about 30 yards trying to smell what grunted at him (me). None of them smelled me and bolted out. The doe I shot last year came in behind me and circled 10 yards in front of me and she did not smell me. This of course could all be wind direction and hunting the thermals on a hill side, but still, those deer were all super close.

To be fair, I did have two does bust me last year as they were directly down wind of me on a trail. They were gone before I even realized they were there.

Others in my hunting party have used it and no longer want to use it. We just had this discussion this weekend actually. They are going to try "Ever Calm" this year as they have heard good things about it.

For me, I will continue to use nose jammer simply because I have confidence in it.

It's interesting to hear from someone who has used it. What time of the season were these shooter buck encounters?

All the encounters I described were around end of October. To be fair, I am as careful as I can be with scent control and having the wind right. I don't think Nose Jammer is a cure all or should take the place of proper scent control, its just another tool and I have confidence in it.

And as another poster said, I am not hunting public land. I am hunting private land where people are in the woods maybe 4 weekends a year outside of hunting.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:11 am

Dewey wrote:Around here we call it Pixie Dust. ;)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:12 am

Hauntedwaters wrote: I have had three shooters within 20 yards of me, and two of those deer were within 5 yards under my stand.

Did you kill one of those?
Hauntedwaters

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:30 am

Southern Man wrote:
Hauntedwaters wrote: I have had three shooters within 20 yards of me, and two of those deer were within 5 yards under my stand.

Sadly, I killed none. Shot at two out of the three. Grazed one. Shot the other in the front leg (it was killed by my neighbor during gun hunting) Third one I let go as I still had some days left to hunt, but should have shot it in retrospect. My poor shots the last two years have been well documented on this website. I can only hope to have another opportunity this year.

Here's the thread and picture on the one I shot in the leg last year: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33281
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:34 am

Hauntedwaters wrote:
Southern Man wrote:

Sadly, I killed none. Shot at two out of the three. Grazed one. Shot the other in the front leg (it was killed by my neighbor during gun hunting) Third one I let go as I still had some days left to hunt, but should have shot it in retrospect. My poor shots the last two years have been well documented on this website. I can only hope to have another opportunity this year.

Here's the thread and picture on the one I shot in the leg last year: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33281

Bummer, it was a great buck. Ben there, done that. All part of it I suppose.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:21 am

oldrank wrote:Id rather spend my money on a pack of broadheads. I dont doubt that it may work as an attractant n may be investigated as a possible food source by deer but in my mind I hate putting anything down that adds scent. My reason being is that in hunting public land, im sure every guy n his brother have tried this stuff already. The amount of scent wicks i pick up yearly numbers in the dozens. Same with bait piles n rattling n calling.. In the right circumstances they may work but I bet the guys using them wrong n educating deer far out number the guys using them right. A good set up beats anything a guy can ever put in a bag.

Words of wisdom^^^.

On a good note the scent wicks let you know where people hunt

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:01 pm

What happens when you spray a sugar coated, vanilla extract on yourself when there's wasps out?
Then climb 20 feet up a tree on a small platform.
Probably won't end well.

Save your money for gas, a good GPS & pair of boots and some quality whitetail literature/ videos.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:08 pm

It's suppose to be so overpowering that it "jams" a deers sense of smell. Never tried it but I have my doubts. I've had good results with Evercalm and I was upwind on both bucks (2.5 yr olds though). One was checking a scrape 15 yds away. One followed my boot trail to me (had evercalm on my boots). One was Oct 27 and other Nov 3.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:30 pm

:lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:46 pm

I have used Nose Jammer during gun season as gun season is my experimental time. I got 4 cans for free from a hunting buddy that works at a sport shop and wanted me to try it. I had mostly negative results. I gues negative is a strong word, more like expected. When a deer was down wind, more often than not it winded me. I actually got winded more with NJ than when not using it. On the topic of Ozonics, I believe it could work. Ozone works very well for removing odors from things. I have small ozone units that I run in my hunting clothes totes that work awesome. I also have one that I run in my vehicles that even removes smoke or wet dog smell. I have let friends borrow it that have bought cars with terrible smoke odor and it has removed it in 12 hours. As far as Ozonics, I have no experience and unless they give me one, I won't. I'm not spending 400.00 an one. Plus I hate dragging more crap in with me. It's the main reason I don't film my hunts.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:09 pm

I won a few spray cans of it a couple years ago. It works great and I use it exclusively,at work, in my bathroom.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:20 pm

U.P. MAN wrote:I won a few spray cans of it a couple years ago. It works great and I use it exclusively,at work, in my bathroom.

Any time i have to poop in the woods I cover it with vanilla. Not sure how well it works I'm normally miles away the next hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”