Hopefully Another Good Debate

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Hopefully Another Good Debate

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:14 pm

I tried nose jammer about 5 years ago. Sprayed it on my boots it spooked a 1.5 year old buck. I never used it again. I've also tried ever calm. No luck with that either. I use no scents now. All my nice bucks in the past have come from catching them by surprise. No pixie dust for me anymore!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:33 am

I've tried it all. Nothing has ever trumped playing wind/thermals and watching my entrance/exit trail. I do believe in rubber boots, but as I've said, my mature buck encounters went up when I played wind/thermals over any other scent, cover scent, scent elimination, or odor masking agent. To me, mature buck gets your scent he's gone, regardless of what your wearing or not wearing.

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:12 am

Hauntedwaters wrote:I've used nose jammer the past two seasons. I spray it above my head on the tree, not on my boots when I walk in. I have had three shooters within 20 yards of me, and two of those deer were within 5 yards under my stand. One walked in circles around my tree and out to about 30 yards trying to smell what grunted at him (me). None of them smelled me and bolted out. The doe I shot last year came in behind me and circled 10 yards in front of me and she did not smell me. This of course could all be wind direction and hunting the thermals on a hill side, but still, those deer were all super close.

To be fair, I did have two does bust me last year as they were directly down wind of me on a trail. They were gone before I even realized they were there.

Others in my hunting party have used it and no longer want to use it. We just had this discussion this weekend actually. They are going to try "Ever Calm" this year as they have heard good things about it.

For me, I will continue to use nose jammer simply because I have confidence in it.

I have used evercalm for 2 years, i can say i havent had a negative result from it but i have had deer trace my steps, but they never exploded and tore out of there,so i guess you can say it works. I have also scrape lil shavings off in a scrape, i really dont know if it attacted anything but i didnt see any negative results. I have also just put it on a random branch and had does and lil bucks come up and start lickin these branches. And i do believe they still check these branches today, from two years ago!

Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:15 am

Jrichard wrote:Okay so I have been reading a lot of stuff online (getting that serious hunting itch right now only 30 days out and counting) but I am looking into trying some different stuff this year. But one thing a buddy of mine showed me when I went out with him last year was this stuff called NOSE JAMMER. Anyone have any experience with it?? Is it worth it? Looking for thoughts and possible experiences.

My friend maid me spray my boots down with it when we went out and I didn't see a single deer so I don't know if it would have worked or not lol. It just smelled like some serious vanilla wafers.

There is no magic pixie dust!!

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:23 am

Also from my exsperance ive had good luck with using doe uruine from a doe i killed in the area before. I do believe that this works, and i also believe that useing a diffrent doe urine( like from a doe thats not from that area or in a bottle)makes a diffrence. I think they know that thats not a doe or smell from there area and can smell an intruder.

Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:26 am

I will say I have heard some positive things from the few individuals in the hunting industry who appear to retain some integrity, Mark Kenyon among them in regard to nose jammer, ozonics, etc. that I don't dismiss them as snake oil completely. There is no magic pixie dust but I bet they have some limited truth behind the claims. The more outrageous the claims the less the truth behind it you can count on that though. That being said I don't use any of it and don't intend to in the foreseeable future.

The reason I feel no desire to try them is that relying on things like this is it gets you in the wrong mind set. That is the true danger in all new gadgets and gizmos. Searching for the next gadget to help in a hypothetical scenario does not kill big bucks. In fact it really limits you because you otherwise could be much more productive with your time and money. Its not the predator mind set you need for success. Studying the habits and behavior of your quarry to figure out weaknesses kills bucks.

I have not met a single hunter who uses all kinds of gadgets who I thought knew a lot about deer behavior as well. Instead, they just know a lot about the latest gadgets. Learn your quarry so well you start to think more like a deer than a human in the woods. Keep that wallet in your pocket!

I do think nose jammer's name is misleading because you don't confuse a whitetail's nose - I think it might confuse the BRAIN of younger deer. Deer are not brilliant, and some young deer are really dumb. Maybe the next big thing will be blowing pot smoke up a deer's nose.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:45 am

A deer's nose is better than a dogs as it has more surface area and it has a vomeronasal organ (VMO), also referred to as a Jacobsens organ, that allows them to "taste" the air like a snake does. I believe that the VMO comes into play mostly when they are lip curling to determine a does readiness to breed.

Either way a deer's nose is better than a dogs. If you can come up with a way to fool a dog looking for a puparoni I am in. Until that happens I will concentrate on managing my scent stream and using milkweed to see where it is going.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:46 am

I'm with Joere on this one. Save your money for scouting gas or to take a day off of work and scout, maybe a better deer stand or a target/ archery club membership. Better return on stuff like that.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:53 am

JoeRE wrote:
The reason I feel no desire to try them is that relying on things like this is it gets you in the wrong mind set. That is the true danger in all new gadgets and gizmos.

Exactly how I feel! To me it is distracting. I don't want to wonder if a product I'm using is working. I like to focus on the task at hand and not have to go through extra steps and expense.

I wash my clothes in water (no detergent) and make no effort to keep them scent free. For me it is sooo much more relaxing to hunt this way.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:54 am

JoeRE wrote:I will say I have heard some positive things from the few individuals in the hunting industry who appear to retain some integrity, Mark Kenyon among them in regard to nose jammer, ozonics, etc. that I don't dismiss them as snake oil completely. There is no magic pixie dust but I bet they have some limited truth behind the claims. The more outrageous the claims the less the truth behind it you can count on that though. That being said I don't use any of it and don't intend to in the foreseeable future.

The reason I feel no desire to try them is that relying on things like this is it gets you in the wrong mind set. That is the true danger in all new gadgets and gizmos. Searching for the next gadget to help in a hypothetical scenario does not kill big bucks. In fact it really limits you because you otherwise could be much more productive with your time and money. Its not the predator mind set you need for success. Studying the habits and behavior of your quarry to figure out weaknesses kills bucks.

I have not met a single hunter who uses all kinds of gadgets who I thought knew a lot about deer behavior as well. Instead, they just know a lot about the latest gadgets. Learn your quarry so well you start to think more like a deer than a human in the woods. Keep that wallet in your pocket!

I do think nose jammer's name is misleading because you don't confuse a whitetail's nose - I think it might confuse the BRAIN of younger deer. Deer are not brilliant, and some young deer are really dumb. Maybe the next big thing will be blowing pot smoke up a deer's nose.

I like you thought here Joe. I've often wondered and even strayed from things, afraid it takes away from "woodsman-ship" that comes from being in the woods and seeing it for yourself. It's almost like it takes away a sense from us. But there's also a fine line of being able to use technology, etc, that can truly assist and help. Nothing will ever take the place of truly understanding how a deer moves, works, and operates. The majority of hunters are looking for the "easy" button, without putting in the work. Can it help you? Maybe. Will it be consistent? Not from what I've saw, and others opinions. Take money away from the products, endorsements, and fame, what is left? Learn how to kill mature deer and HUNT them, it's the most consistent way to kill them. Honest statement here, of all the hunters I know that have a wall full of mature bucks, not one says I killed him because of product A, B, or C. They killed them because they learned how to from all we share and talk about here.

Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:42 am

I work at a major sporting goods retailer and guys come in and know everything about all these products and they're disappointed if we don't have them available and I know they're going to be sitting in their Treestand disappointed that they don't have this or that gizmo or gadget when they should be on full alert hunting. I agree that some of these things and the marketing takes away from the experience/ woodsmanship

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:55 am

Itchy Bones wrote:I work at a major sporting goods retailer and guys come in and know everything about all these products and they're disappointed if we don't have them available and I know they're going to be sitting in their Treestand disappointed that they don't have this or that gizmo or gadget when they should be on full alert hunting. I agree that some of these things and the marketing takes away from the experience/ woodsmanship

So many are looking for a shortcut. I never want killing bucks to be easy. If there was a magic potion out there that could defeat a bucks nose I wouldn't want to use it.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:18 am

whitetailassasin wrote:
JoeRE wrote:I will say I have heard some positive things from the few individuals in the hunting industry who appear to retain some integrity, Mark Kenyon among them in regard to nose jammer, ozonics, etc. that I don't dismiss them as snake oil completely. There is no magic pixie dust but I bet they have some limited truth behind the claims. The more outrageous the claims the less the truth behind it you can count on that though. That being said I don't use any of it and don't intend to in the foreseeable future.

I like you thought here Joe. I've often wondered and even strayed from things, afraid it takes away from "woodsman-ship" that comes from being in the woods and seeing it for yourself. It's almost like it takes away a sense from us. But there's also a fine line of being able to use technology, etc, that can truly assist and help. Nothing will ever take the place of truly understanding how a deer moves, works, and operates. The majority of hunters are looking for the "easy" button, without putting in the work. Can it help you? Maybe. Will it be consistent? Not from what I've saw, and others opinions. Take money away from the products, endorsements, and fame, what is left? Learn how to kill mature deer and HUNT them, it's the most consistent way to kill them. Honest statement here, of all the hunters I know that have a wall full of mature bucks, not one says I killed him because of product A, B, or C. They killed them because they learned how to from all we share and talk about here.

My next door neighbor is a very good hunter. Very knowledgeable about thermals, wind, travel corridors...really good hill country guy. Has troubles with his shooting...lol, but thats another topic. What I was going to say though is him and his dad, both buy into the scentlok, the ever calm, the ozonics, the hex suit...but both are really good woodsman. BOTH still hunt the wind. However, every kill now, EVERY deer was DEAD DOWNWIND. He looks at me and says " you don't believe it?" Nope. I don't.

Scaling the side of a mountain, shooting bucks out of their beds with a gun. Knowing where the bucks are going to bed on the mountain on a certain wind. These guys are NOT the norm.

Makes me scratch my head I know that...lol
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:27 am

Dewey wrote:
Itchy Bones wrote:I work at a major sporting goods retailer and guys come in and know everything about all these products and they're disappointed if we don't have them available and I know they're going to be sitting in their Treestand disappointed that they don't have this or that gizmo or gadget when they should be on full alert hunting. I agree that some of these things and the marketing takes away from the experience/ woodsmanship

So many are looking for a shortcut. I never want killing bucks to be easy. If there was a magic potion out there that could defeat a bucks nose I wouldn't want to use it.

Alot of deer hunters just don't know any better. If they get all their info from TV, the internet or DVD's put out by proponents of these products. Their just doing what they've been told by these product mongers!!!

They think their doing it the right way.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:21 am

The only thing I wonder about with respect to a nose jammer type product is if it would aid in covering up my scent where I set up a stand, cut shooting lanes, etc. probably 95% of my sets are done in January - April so I'm not that worried about it but, if I could not have a buck smell even at that time I would prefer to avoid it.
I certainly wouldn't use it near hunting season as I do believe in the tactic of total surprise and having the deer not know anything was different from a human standpoint.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”