Setting up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowHusker

Re: Setting up

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:54 am

When you guys are setting up you're sticks, do you keep you're stand on you're back and a line for bringing you're bow up attached as well? So that you can make just one trip up the tree?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:05 am

JoeRE wrote:A lot of good points made already.
yes there are limitations as well but setting up on the ground is pretty much always faster and quieter than climbing up a tree.

Grounds hunts can be a breath of fresh air sometimes, no setup or tear down, less gear to haul in, a nice break from the grind of stand hunting.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:20 am

BowHusker wrote:When you guys are setting up you're sticks, do you keep you're stand on you're back and a line for bringing you're bow up attached as well? So that you can make just one trip up the tree?

Stand & sticks on my back & pull up rope in my pocket. Once setup I lower the pull rope with hook, catch, and pull up my bow. I've tried the standard tie bow, hook rope to yourself, & climb, but then you have to climb a straight shot to your stand - no going around the tree or through limbs are the rope gets tangled.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:58 am

Great reads guys. I've always paid a lot of attention to a slow, quiet approach, but that has been magnified greatly since joining the forum. It is pretty amazing how close you can get to a bedded deer. Every time I have bumped a deer this year (when on a slow stand approach) they have been within 20 yards. Sunday I actually saw a fawn laying in the thicket 15 yards away. We locked eyes at the same time and she layed there for 5-10 seconds then busted when I was reaching for my phone to try and get a pic. Doe was bedded 5 yards further.

To me, the approach and set up are the most crucial part of every hunt. It doesn't matter if you have the best bedding and a perfect tree picked out... If they hear anything "human" it's game over.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:01 am

I would say my set up takes 15-20 minutes for 3 sticks. Longer if I'm real close to bedding with little wind.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:28 am

BowHusker wrote:When you guys are setting up you're sticks, do you keep you're stand on you're back and a line for bringing you're bow up attached as well? So that you can make just one trip up the tree?

I attach my tow rope to the stand itself, so once i'm up where i want to be i just reach down and pull it up. And i wrap it around the platform when in transport. Too many times I had it wrapped up and in a pocket and spent time untangling it at the base of my tree. That frustration led to carelessness the rest of the way up, so I had to eliminate it.

I really need to start taking a break 100 yards out.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:32 am

This is where Stick Talons are awesome.

Here is my procedure with LW stand and sticks.

1)Attach the bottom two sticks on tree at ground level

2)Strap on my fanny pack to the front

3)Hook up my rope to my bow and tie it onto my stand

4)Put my stand on my back with 2 sticks on Stick Talons

5)Hook onto the tree with my linesman belt

6)Climb to height you want to attach next stick.

7)Reach back and slowly remove stick from Talon then attach stick

8)Repeat

9)Remove stand from back and attach to tree at desired position always making sure you set last stick so you are stepping DOWN onto your stand.

10)Attach tree rope above your stand and then hook in your safety harness strap.

11)Disconnect your linesman belt and carefully climb onto your stand.

12)Re-adjust your tree strap attaching to your harness so it's high enough there is slight slack when you sit down.

13)At this point your are securely attached with little slack so now you want to cam lock your stand.

14)Pull your bow up and start hunting.

Most important thing is remember it's not a race. Many hunts are ruined before they even start if you are setting up near a bed and make too much noise. I also stop and relax about 100 yards from my desired tree. Most important thing is give yourself plenty of time so you never feel rushed. Most have a hard time with slowing down after having a such fast paced life but this is so important and I can't stress it enough. If it takes you an hour to climb the tree so what as long as you do it quietly.
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:17 am

Dewey wrote:

This is where Stick Talons are awesome.

Here is my procedure with LW stand and sticks.

1)Attach the bottom two sticks on tree at ground level

2)Strap on my fanny pack to the front

3)Hook up my rope to my bow and tie it onto my stand

4)Put my stand on my back with 2 sticks on Stick Talons

5)Hook onto the tree with my linesman belt

6)Climb to height you want to attach next stick.

7)Reach back and slowly remove stick from Talon then attach stick

8)Repeat

9)Remove stand from back and attach to tree at desired position always making sure you set last stick so you are stepping DOWN onto your stand.

10)Attach tree rope above your stand and then hook in your safety harness strap.

11)Disconnect your linesman belt and carefully climb onto your stand.

12)Re-adjust your tree strap attaching to your harness so it's high enough there is slight slack when you sit down.

13)At this point your are securely attached with little slack so now you want to cam lock your stand.

14)Pull your bow up and start hunting.

Most important thing is remember it's not a race. Many hunts are ruined before they even start if you are setting up near a bed and make too much noise. I also stop and relax about 100 yards from my desired tree. Most important thing is give yourself plenty of time so you never feel rushed. Most have a hard time with slowing down after having a such fast paced life but this is so important and I can't stress it enough. If it takes you an hour to climb the tree so what as long as you do it quietly.

Great post, thanks for the response!

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:56 am

One thing that I think a lot of people mess up on is not giving themselves plenty of time. If you think it will take you an hour to walk in and set up. Start out 2 hours early if possible. The worst that can happen is that it does only take an hour and you spend more time in the tree.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”