How To Hunt This Spot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

How To Hunt This Spot

Unread postby Jrichard » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Okay so I just did my final intruding scouting of the year until September 15th when I can finally get out and hunt. But anyway. Now this spot doesn't seem to have a ton of deer but its got some damn good quality deer. And I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this situation for me.

Okay so the lay of the land is like this. Its a large wooded area that is split up by a stream that runs pretty much directly through the middle of it. On the private side its very hilly. Prefect for bedding. Then on the side I can hunt its very flat and kind of marshy. Then about 150 yards away from stream is a pretty steep hill. Then on top of the hill is where I will probably hunt. Now when you get to the top of the hill there is a pretty thick area. Its not thick with prickers or anything. Its just the one area that has a lot of under growth. Now I saw this little saddle that would allow the deer to go up the hill with ease but thats about 400 yards away from this one area. Then there is a field that has come clover and such in it where they tend to feed.

What I think they are doing is they are getting out of bed and crossing the stream (there is a beaten crossing at one point of the stream.) When they cross the stream they are going up the steep part of the hill because at the top this is the only thick area in this whole entire piece of woods that I can find. So I feel like they are staging and hanging around in this area until just before dark. Because all of the activity on my trail cameras that were about 50 yards off the field edge are all around 7 - 8. Also I cannot find as much scat anywhere else as I can in this area. So I figure if I can set up just outside this thick area I will probably have a good shot at a deer coming out of it around 7 or so.

Now should I be sitting outside of this thick patch? Or should I think of setting up at the bottom of the hill in the marshy area and try to catch these deer before they get to the hill? I feel like my scent will linger too much at the bottom of the hill. BUt you would all know better. The bottom of the hill has much more activity. It seems like a doe and her fawns always use this area right below the hill.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: How To Hunt This Spot

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:03 am

It's hard to say wo a map or 2 I found a place like that this season, but I don't have swamps. I am saving it for 2nd week of rifle / post rifle.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
warhog23
Facebook: corey policaro

Unread postby warhog23 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:08 am

Sounds like u have it all down pat... Dont think too much about it and just hunt it, keep a simplified mind and try not to over analyze, it can cause u to not hunt it properly... My only thought is that u should keep running cameras and not burn it out till either u get pics of a buck moving consistently on a pattern which might not be till the last week of october or even mid october, or even till dec. or jan.... But it sounds like a great spot and if a buck isnt presenting himself after all ur best logical efforts then maybe stay out till the rut... Just dont go in first day and think u got a chance, make sure u KNOW u have a chance and u'll be successful there even if its not this year at that particular spot... Have patience

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:15 am

warhog23 wrote:Sounds like u have it all down pat... Dont think too much about it and just hunt it, keep a simplified mind and try not to over analyze, it can cause u to not hunt it properly... My only thought is that u should keep running cameras and not burn it out till either u get pics of a buck moving consistently on a pattern which might not be till the last week of october or even mid october, or even till dec. or jan.... But it sounds like a great spot and if a buck isnt presenting himself after all ur best logical efforts then maybe stay out till the rut... Just dont go in first day and think u got a chance, make sure u KNOW u have a chance and u'll be successful there even if its not this year at that particular spot... Have patience

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yeah there area few really nice bucks. I mean this one 5 pointer. I will try to post a pic but I doubt I'll be able too lol. But he tends to his this one beaten down run at least once every couple of weeks in day light. A couple weeks ago he crossed this run right before sun down. Then this pass week he walked directly down it and past my camera at like 12 in the afternoon. lol. I will try to post pictures. But I just didn't know if I should hunt down the hill in the swampy area or on top of the hill. Idk if my scent will get trapped down below the hill if I sit down there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”