When shooting your bow what do you...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AntlerAddiction

When shooting your bow what do you...

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

When shooting your bow at targets and animals what do you guys focus on? The pin or the intended point of impact?

As long as I can remember I have been focusing on the pin and have been shooting very well out to 80 yards even but I began to think about this yesterday and started looking online. Most of what I am reading tells me to focus on the target (aim small, miss small DUH!) because you can't hit what you aren't seeing clearly.

I am sitting here kind of stunned thinking how much more sense it makes to focus on the point of impact rather than a pin that is constantly moving. I can't wait for tommorow morning so I can try the new way out!

Question is: What do you guys focus on when shooting archery? What is blurry, the pin or the target/animal? I think I know the answer most will give but I am curious.

Nocturnal
500 Club

Re: When shooting your bow what do you...

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:40 pm

You still have to be rock solid. The best tip for that distance is stretching that pin all the way out and blocking out everything between. Yes focusing on the smallest spot becomes even more critical, and Your shot execution has to be just as flawless.

What I did before I shot a tournament or league. I'd Practice on a black sticker in a room of my house. Practice holding still as long as you can on the dot. As soon as your shaking, let down. You'll build repetition and it will sub consciously help you when your actually shooting.

Another thing is your sight. If shooting long distances is something you enjoy. Get .010 size pins. Not really a good size for hunting unless you have a light attachment. I've customized the sizes on mine. .020 all the way to .010 as it gets further.

I use to shoot over 100 arrows a day for almost 5 years. It was a passion that I miss. Sounds silly, but I use to lose sleep over correcting my mistakes I figured out. I could go on and on and on about everything but I don't want to go into depth without need. Hope this bit helps you

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:56 pm

Yes it makes sense, but it's so difficult to do everytime in the field. Essentially you zone in on that kill zone, look past everything. My issue is just getting the animal in focus which is caused by the peep or my eyes LOL I upgraded, it was too large to stay put in my cable so I'm back to normal this season. Carbon Express Dusk/Dawn Peep is diamond shaped, im trying that one next.

Most of us practice in low light chance we get, even if it's 1 arrow. I like to measure my first shot of the day as my kill shot and its rarely good enough. Start shooting smaller targets at longer distances, but on the other hand I like to think shooting at a deer target w large antlers is the way to go all the time. Full size, not those dog sized ones they try sell. It actually helps me w judging bucks in the hoof in a stand. I also occasionally just do some push ups and jumping Jacks, then pick up my bow. Gets the heart and tired arms going. Another great practice technique, if your last pin is set for 40, practice at 60 (ect..)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:59 pm

I think about point of exit... for the animals I've killed with a bow. Then point of entry should be right.

I shoot a big peep. Even in leagues too. It's my peep with the clarifier unscrewed and completely out. In leagues I think about point of impact more.

I like the big peep and both eyes open.

Mainly I don't think about the peep much. I use a button as one anchor point and a spot on the tip of my nose because I think it helps me when leaning or turning.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Nocturnal wrote: What I did before I shot a tournament or league. I'd Practice on a black sticker in a room of my house. Practice holding still as long as you can on the dot. As soon as your shaking, let down. You'll build repetition and it will sub consciously help you when your actually shooting.

LOL so, that just happened! Black dot on the wall. I can now practice at night and inside, the wife will be thrilled!

Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:
Nocturnal wrote: What I did before I shot a tournament or league. I'd Practice on a black sticker in a room of my house. Practice holding still as long as you can on the dot. As soon as your shaking, let down. You'll build repetition and it will sub consciously help you when your actually shooting.

LOL so, that just happened! Black dot on the wall. I can now practice at night and inside, the wife will be thrilled!

Lol yeah I'm sure your wife has seen weirder things from you. Hahaha

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:00 pm

Pick a spot and really focus on it. The pin will float in every time.

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:19 am

Thinking about point of exit is an interesting way to do it. I'm definitely going to keep this in mind this fall.

ruttnhrd

Unread postby ruttnhrd » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:29 am

Do you shoot with one eye open or both? I used to shoot with only one eye open. I started shooting with both eyes open and for me it has really helped. It seems like it really helps me with low light shots and depth perception. IMO your shooting half blind if you close one eye. :)

Jed33

Unread postby Jed33 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:06 am

Two seasons ago I started shooting with both eyes open. The pin is a little blurry, but the target is not. At first it was weird shooting this way but my accuracy went way up, especially at longer distances. The only problem I have is remembering to shoot this way in the field, as I have shot for decades with my non dominant eye closed.

I will definitely use the exit hole strategy in the field as I have wounded deer by trying to aim low, and behind the shoulder and having a brisket shot. I need to train my brain to think lung shots and not heart shots.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:22 am

I focus on the point of impact while target shooting. The pin just floats around that point, but the harder I focus on the point I want the arrow to hit the more accurate my arrows get. My advise would be don't dwell on the pin or that will increase the risk of giving yourself target panic - focus on the tiniest spec you want the arrow to hit.

Focusing on point of impact made a huge improvement in my long range practice (50-80 yards).

When shooting at a deer, I am trying to put the arrow through the center of the chest, basically right above the heart. I am visualizing the heart and lungs as sort of a ball or balloon and trying to hit the center of that from whatever angle I have. I have learned the hard way picking a spot in relation to the shoulder, top of back, or brisket or something can get you burned. So many angles are possible.

I have been guilty of putting my arrow "right behind the shoulder" and only catching one lung on a couple of deer because the buck was actually slightly quartering to me or more sharply quartering away and I didn't notice, just looked at the shoulder. Have seen that happen in videos many times as well. Always irritates me when the hunter acts like they made a perfect shot when they do that. A one lung hit is not a perfect shot!
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:13 am

burkhart wrote:focus on where you want the arrow to go.... ur brain will always take your pins to where you are focusing. u may shake and wobble but if you focus ull always go back to the point of focus. most cant let go of control and punch the trigger or get target panic. Trust ur muscles and super computer between your ears.

Solid advise.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:22 am

JoeRE wrote:I focus on the point of impact while target shooting. The pin just floats around that point, but the harder I focus on the point I want the arrow to hit the more accurate my arrows get. My advise would be don't dwell on the pin or that will increase the risk of giving yourself target panic - focus on the tiniest spec you want the arrow to hit.

Focusing on point of impact made a huge improvement in my long range practice (50-80 yards).
When shooting at a deer, I am trying to put the arrow through the center of the chest, basically right above the heart. I am visualizing the heart and lungs as sort of a ball or balloon and trying to hit the center of that from whatever angle I have. I have learned the hard way picking a spot in relation to the shoulder, top of back, or brisket or something can get you burned. So many angles are possible.

I have been guilty of putting my arrow "right behind the shoulder" and only catching one lung on a couple of deer because the buck was actually slightly quartering to me or more sharply quartering away and I didn't notice, just looked at the shoulder. Have seen that happen in videos many times as well. Always irritates me when the hunter acts like they made a perfect shot when they do that. A one lung hit is not a perfect shot!

Good point. That's why I like varying the angles that I shoot at 3-d targets. Disreguarding the vital marks on the target. It teaches you what the kill zone looks like at weird angles.

Focus on the spot you want to hit. For me the pin kind of comes in and out of focus. Especially on the longer shots.
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:23 am

Best tip i can give is to do the same thing everytime, get a routine down and stick to it. Be as consistant as you can.

slowpoke69

Unread postby slowpoke69 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:31 am

I always try to visualize shooting threw the object. I've just recently started to focus on my target when shooting, keeping the pins blurry. I've had some accuracy issues in the past.

Shooting with both eyes open takes some work to do as well. Need to make sure you're using your dominant eye. Otherwise you'll miss completely. I did that a few times when I was learning to shoot with both eyes open.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”