Late October success

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowkill00

Late October success

Unread postby bowkill00 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:07 am

In planning my midwest bowhunt this year I'm thinking ab hunting the last week of October instead of the first of November. Partly bc the over crowded public land during that time. Who has killed big bucks during the end of Oct?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Late October success

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:37 am

I've killed most of my nice ones late October about the 26th thru nov1. It can be very good if there's a cold front the does aren't quite in heat yet and the bucks are getting antsy moving more

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
OhioBowhunter

Unread postby OhioBowhunter » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:18 pm

Lots of big boys killed on and around Halloween.

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:19 pm

Taken several good bucks in late October. I normally am still closer to bedding tho. I see the younger deer really on the move during late October but the big boys still stick closer to bedding during daylight hours in late October

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:24 pm

IMO best movement times from what I've seen.

bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:28 pm

Past several years I've hunted roughly Nov. 7-15. Seen few big deer but no big deer kills. But I'm thinkn if I can get on a good scrape from bedding around the end of October maybe have a good chance of killn a bign. Without as many hunters.

ruttnhrd

Unread postby ruttnhrd » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:32 pm

IMO Halloween weekend is one of the best. My second choice would be the second week of November.

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:07 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:IMO best movement times from what I've seen.

X2!!!!

I think the last 10 days of October can be some of the best. They are getting up a little earlier and going back to bed a little later. The 26th-31st are my favorite with a cold front.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:25 pm

Last week of October can be very good. Leading up to Halloween a few does go into early estrous just before the majority do. The bucks are usually searching pretty hard for those early ones. Daylight movement really increases that last week while bucks are actively scraping day and night.

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:30 pm

Bowhunter4life wrote:Taken several good bucks in late October. I normally am still closer to bedding tho. I see the younger deer really on the move during late October but the big boys still stick closer to bedding during daylight hours in late October

This has been my observations also.

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:45 pm

I have a couple properties where October 18-25/26 are the best days of the year, lots of old does on those properties. I normally see my biggest buck of the year during that time frame as well.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:24 pm

The last 10 days of October is one of the best times to pick off a mature buck in my opinion - if you know the area well, know the buck bedding and their travel routes. You can't just sit rut funnels that time of year and expect great things. Target buck bedding and thier low visibiltiy seeking activities, they are not cruising for does but they are watching for the first early doe to come into estrus. I have killed most of my bow bucks in the last half of October.

If its a new/unscouted area, I would stick with a rut vacation although to avoid pressure you might want to target the tail end of the rut not the beginning.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Halloween evening has been particularly good to me over the years. I like last five days of Oct - Nov 10th best

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:30 pm

JoeRE wrote:The last 10 days of October is one of the best times to pick off a mature buck in my opinion - if you know the area well, know the buck bedding and their travel routes. You can't just sit rut funnels that time of year and expect great things. Target buck bedding and thier low visibiltiy seeking activities, they are not cruising for does but they are watching for the first early doe to come into estrus. I have killed most of my bow bucks in the last half of October.

If its a new/unscouted area, I would stick with a rut vacation although to avoid pressure you might want to target the tail end of the rut not the beginning.

The last few seasons of observing mature buck movements, I have noticed primary bedding areas on fire and the local doe bedding near these get lots of action. Increased daylight movement and very patternable.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:32 pm

Last week of October and first week of November for my area in WI is usually when you see and hear about big bucks going down. I usually fill a tag or two in those two weeks as well.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”