Dry swamps and bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckshot20
500 Club

Dry swamps and bedding

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:33 am

Ok guys, most of the beds I've found this year correlate to big cypress swamps and internal islands. Most of the bedding was tight to the normal water line. If things don't change before season things are looking extremely dry. There is not much water in the swamps right now.

Question is, do you think deer will still be using the same beds or will they adjust to the new water levels?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: Dry swamps and bedding

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:51 am

I would ha e to imagin if the water level doesn't reach the beds that they would still use them. I would only worry about it if the water level rises over them.

I would also consider stand placement if the levels don't exceed the beds. Will you still be able to access stand sites with the higher water? Will it change deer travel routes?

Joe™
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:00 am

In the past I have found dry years harder to hunt, more ground for them to bed and they can sometimes be a touch unpredictable. I have no clue down there but I suspect they like the water for a reason and may adjust bedding. I mostly relate water to pressure, they will use it to escape other hunters predators so if the islands are now all high ground you might find more hunters there.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:23 am

headgear wrote:In the past I have found dry years harder to hunt, more ground for them to bed and they can sometimes be a touch unpredictable. I have no clue down there but I suspect they like the water for a reason and may adjust bedding. I mostly relate water to pressure, they will use it to escape other hunters predators so if the islands are now all high ground you might find more hunters there.

Ive found this a few times. Had a gorgeous island on a WMA. Usually had to cross 150yards of waist deep water to get to it. Dry year I start walking in and start seeing fresh flagging tape. Sure enough three different hunters on the island. 2 good bucks killed that day.

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:37 am

headgear wrote:In the past I have found dry years harder to hunt, more ground for them to bed and they can sometimes be a touch unpredictable. I have no clue down there but I suspect they like the water for a reason and may adjust bedding. I mostly relate water to pressure, they will use it to escape other hunters predators so if the islands are now all high ground you might find more hunters there.

Yep... Some will follow the water and some will stay put. It will spread the deer out more.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:02 pm

Thanks guys, I kinda figured but I'm no expert. The water seems to give the best transition sometimes in those big swamps. Hopefully we get a little bit of rain soon.

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:38 pm

dan wrote:

Yep... Some will follow the water and some will stay put. It will spread the deer out more.

I have been wondering about this exact scenerio lately. This super dry summer has me worried about some of these prime beds around these wet swamps I hunt. Great topic.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”