Swamp

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TNstalker

Swamp

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:37 am

So got a large high spot that I'm pretty sure will be a all wind bedding area. Seems to me they bed at the down wind side of the high spot. It is 70-80 yard long running east to west an 30-35 yards wide. Ground cover is not good at all but there is cedar trees there low hanging they bed under when all the leaves an other foliage dies out. Anyone have a spot like this? Do they use it the same as what I'm seeing or thinking? Also saw a bed Friday that threw me off large bed with back to the water which would be a north wind over the back looking south. But that's up hill a little only thing could come up with was maybe a east to southeast wind that's his best spot for that wind idk. Anyways love to hear thoughts on similar spots.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Re: Swamp

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:02 am

I seem to see them bedded on the upwind edge if it is open enough to watch the island. Or they simply stay downwind of the major entrance trail of the island or watch it.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:48 am

Heres a thread that may be of interest:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29560&hilit=Cedar+swamp

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:09 am

PK
Right now he does both. But when the frost kills everything an opens up most of the beds where under the cedars. One was right in the middle of the high spot on top watching the human access trail.

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:24 am

SB

The was a good read. I wondered Friday if the buck that's use this high spot would loop around like that my self bc he could get thermals better off the south side bc the north is bordered by a beaver pond. Been there 3 times found large tracks everytime an several large beds. I have picked trees out but it's thick in there right now I might have to hunt the ground.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:01 pm

TNstalker wrote:SB

The was a good read. I wondered Friday if the buck that's use this high spot would loop around like that my self bc he could get thermals better off the south side bc the north is bordered by a beaver pond. Been there 3 times found large tracks everytime an several large beds. I have picked trees out but it's thick in there right now I might have to hunt the ground.

Sounds like it holds a good one- nothing wrong with hunting the ground. Just off of the high spot, with more stable air currents, can also be an option if you feel you will be busted by wind / thermals.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:10 pm

Yeah I've been pondering ground setups since u said u have done this with success in these spot. early I can do this later on I don't think I can nothing to help hide against.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:18 pm

Most hunters really struggle with hunting on the ground, I spent a lot of time doing it because tree stands were illegal to gun hunt out of in my areas for decades.

I also hunted on the ground with my bow when I was just a kid and shot a number of deer on the ground before I was old enough to drive a car. I mention this because it will seem odd and very difficult for those that have not hunted that way.

A lack of movement is more important that anything to keep from getting detected. I've had bucks and does within feet of me wearing hunter's orange... it really is about beating their nose and not moving at all.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:47 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Most hunters really struggle with hunting on the ground, I spent a lot of time doing it because tree stands were illegal to gun hunt out of in my areas for decades.

I also hunted on the ground with my bow when I was just a kid and shot a number of deer on the ground before I was old enough to drive a car. I mention this because it will seem odd and very difficult for those that have not hunted that way.

A lack of movement is more important that anything to keep from getting detected. I've had bucks and does within feet of me wearing hunter's orange... it really is about beating their nose and not moving at all.

And its absolutely crazy how much you can get away with. You really learn to move with the deer.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:03 pm

Been hunting off the ground a lot lately. Had 2 3 year olds at 20 an 25 yards passed them bc of older buck an a bigger buck. Ate my tags oh well lol. I guess makes me nerves about this spot bc there isn't much ground cover at all! Well really any. An the pondering is which side of the bed to sit on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”