What do I need to get started muzzleloading?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

futuredoc

What do I need to get started muzzleloading?

Unread postby futuredoc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:47 am

Going to get a ML for late season doe hunting. Besides gun, bullets and powder, what do I need?
Cleaning supplies? What do I need?
Bullet starter?
Going to shoot loose powder so any suggestions for a quick loader? Seems like all if them are for pellets.
Do I need a separate rod for cleaning?
What primers are good to use?
Any other suggestions.

Thanks

ryanm

Re: What do I need to get started muzzleloading?

Unread postby ryanm » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:19 am

some of what you need will depend on how traditional you go. The newer stuff is easier to clean with the removable breech plug.
If the gun comes with a "QLA" you won't need a bullet starter.
I like the guns with 209 shotgun primers, I've had occasional hangfires with the percussion cap style.

cleaning I've been using Thompson center's No 13 bore cleaner and bore butter. To clean scrub the barrel with a patch and cleaning solution on the ramrod and then a dry patch. Then a patch with the butter on it.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:48 am

Pretty much what Ryan said.. I'll try to address each of your questions..

For cleaning supplies, you really only need some type of solvent (cabelas black powder solvent, TC #13, etc)..Did your gun come with a cleaning jag? If so, put some solvent down your barrel, let it soak for a little bit, then just wet a patch with hot soapy water and run it up and down your barrel a few times til they come out clean..there are a ton of videos on youtube on how to do it..(Otherwise you can always clean it just like you clean any other gun, but the jag works really good)

I have never used a bullet starter and never had a problem.

I have seen a couple quick loaders with powder measurements on the side, but I cant remember which brand they were now, but you are going to want to find something like that.

If using the jag, you can just use your ramrod..one of those small handles might not be a bad idea, since the rods are sometimes a little short..something like in this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-4TuN75e2E

I dont know how much of a difference there is between primers. I personally use the winchester shotgun primers.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:29 pm

I'll keep it simple for ya... I know a half dozen + hunters with this same set up...

Tompson Center Omega 50 Cal Muzzy
Remington 209 primers
Muzzleloader Starter Kit - Cleaning solvents, patches, breach lubricant, bore butter
Bullet starter - cheap plastic one for $4 - worth it in my opinion
Triple 7 50 cal pellets (loose powder is pain in the azz IMO) small changes in powder can mean big inaccuracy with muzzy
Bullet choice - have to play with some, but I have had good luck with 250 grain ShockWaves
Order the TC ram rod T addition, have to order through TC = $12 - again not necessary but a nice accessory

If you are out of Med School and can afford it, Nikon Muzzy Scope or Leopold Muzzy Scope - SuperSlam (this is the one I got and really like it)

For sighting in, start at 50 yards and shoot a primer or two with no powder or bullet before shoting with powder - foul the breach

Most guys use 2 pellets as accuracy is much better... after each shot run a wet patch with TC solvent and then a dry patch before shooting again = accuracy will be better for sighting in

Hope that helps, if you get a TC muzzy it will have a DVD with proper cleaning instructions FYI

?s feel free to PM
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Gun
Powder
Bullets
Primers
Cleaning supplies
Range time
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”