Dominant doe no bucks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nocturnal
500 Club

Dominant doe no bucks?

Unread postby Nocturnal » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:54 am

I've read it, but I haven't personally seen this. A piece of farmland I hunt always holds bucks in the summer and early fall, no matter the crop rotation. Not this year. All I have is mom and fawn. Has anyone experienced this? I'm not worried about it, seeing as it's early August. Curious as to what guys experienced come fall transition?

Is she possibly pushing other deer off the property? My guess is yes.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Dominant doe no bucks?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:18 pm

I've seen it on multiple small private farms in summer thru trail cams. One year the does weren't there for some reason on one property, and the mature bucks were in there bachelored up. Got tons of pics. All the property's are great hunting late October to mid November for bucks. I think the does run the bucks out in spring for fawning

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:05 pm

ive been observing this for years and I often post it. kinda going through it once again this year. its probably thre same doe the past few years , shes got a head the size of a cynderblock and she looks like a roman nosed buck. BUT I think she might be the doe going into early estrus and triggering the bucks earlier than ususal for a 3 day deer pic fest . it seems these mature does tolerate the young bucks but not the older class bucks........
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:04 pm

I have noticed this myself sometimes but often found my bach group in an area not to far away. I to have notice a few block head does around before like tim said. Guess that could be the case. I just passed it off as a diffrent food sourse or watering hole had them movin. I have also noticed that my bach group will later in summer move quite often but in some what in a big circle, like a mile or so. Just thought that was kinda the norm.

Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”