2016 LIVE FROM THE FIELD THREAD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: 2016 LIVE FROM THE FIELD THREAD

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:55 am

We got to the island and sign was non-existent so we decided to back out and go seek out other areas we didn't find what we are looking for so we completely backed out it was fun though TCs got some good pics

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:37 am

Nothing tonight but soaked to the bone. Hoping that monsoon washed my human stink out a bit

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:52 am

Soaked to the bone here also. Decided to leave my stand in the truck and spent the afternoon scouting. Snuck up on a spike feeding on acorns and saw another deer but couldn't see what it was. Big buck sign is coming from the area I suspect holds a good one, too thick for an obversation stand.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:57 am

One lone doe. Soaked as well, didn't even bother with the waders just walked right down the creek

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:43 pm

Had a couple of deer come through at 40. Too thick to tell what they were.

PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:46 pm

As Bighunt said, the deer sign was pitiful. I gunned it all the way to a different spot when one of my cylinders starred misfirein on the ol pickup. Never made it to spot B. Cheap fix though because the spark plug wire wore through. I'll post pics of our adventure later when I have more time. Put a lot of miles on the yaks.

9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:54 pm

Went to an island but only heard one deer. Rain came and went four times in the last two hours. I was soaked through but I don't think any deer will know I was there.

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:15 pm

Crossed a river sat an apple tree on transition between a oxbow and maples, solid sign but nothing,couldn't nail down a bed during spring scouting. Might push in farther tomorrow or canoe back to a remote spot. Found a solid late season migration area during my midday still hunt. Man I love Fall!

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:55 pm

Saw 5 tonight on the field edge feeding around 6. 1 small buck. Corn is cut.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:57 pm

Deer were moving early this evening. Saw a lot of slick heads and had a doe and fawn feeding right under me for last hour. No bucks seen today.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:00 pm

Went in blind towards suspected bedding on a buck I've been shining. Saw some fresh rubs along the trail on the way back. Stopped after 300 yds when I could see an interior transition on a swampy area. Heard a single deer bust while setting up...dang. Ended up seeing 4 does and a spike. Pretty sure I need to push quite a bit deeper towards bedding next outing on this piece. Will probably hit it again in 2 weeks and hope for more rut sign and tracks that aren't all washed away from 2 days of rain. To be continued...

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:46 pm

I was hunting a new area today. Set up blind this morning on an oak ridge with standing corn 50 yards away. Great setup near a creek crossing. I should have been higher than current number of sticks though. And should have brought extra headlamp batteries. Got soaked and had zero sightings.

Changed clothes and carefully snuck into buck bedding in the afternoon. Set up was clean this time. Got soaked again. I decided to push limits before I left, so I snort wheezed. A crazy blue jay flew straight to me, landed 8 feet away and stared for like a minute. Maybe I did that wrong! If only that bird only had antlers... :mrgreen:

Nobody had been in that bedding for a while. I checked it afterward due to rain. No poop noted at all. I think the standing corn made that bedding go cold. I'll hit it again after the corn is harvested.

Tomorrow I'm back at it and probably looking for a doe. Good luck to everyone!

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Early movement for me this evening. Some does fed around me. No horns for me. This is definitely the worst start to a season I've had in some years. Not a single shooter all summer showed up on any of my 7 trail cameras I run spread out on different properties. Looked for sign this morning and was definitely a lack of that. Up and down some creek crossings and walked some field edges just trying to locate the tracks of a big deer. Nada! Gonna be tough so I'm gonna take tomorrow morning to do some more scouting on edges on a different property. A coyote did happen to get a little to close to me tonight and he got an arrow.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:05 pm

If my boots were 2 inches taller, my feet would have stayed dry.

I spotted one while it was blowing at me from on top of a point. Nothing else happened. Oh one other mishap, my phone ended up a little wet and set itself off about 5.
Keep on keeping on. Long season.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Doe and a fawn 100+ yards away in the CRP. That was it, Dad didn't see anything.

Got a big decision to make for tomorrow's hunt. We'll be leaving for SD in a week and pheasant hunting will be open when we get back... so trying to play my cards right in conjunction with that. Looks like temps will be cooling off at the end of the week, but its harder to get to my good stuff during the work week. hmm what to do...

Sure wish this SE wind would do a 180

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”