2016 LIVE FROM THE FIELD THREAD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: 2016 LIVE FROM THE FIELD THREAD

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:40 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
walleyeralph wrote:Good luck Dewey.

X2!!

x3!

Love the looks of that ground set Dewey.

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:50 am

Last night in hill country for the year. Got setup by 3, there was one already up on its feet as I climbed in.

Good luck all
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:41 am

Well everything worked out perfectly like I planned. At exactly 4:30 pm I see a BIG bodied deer headed my way but couldn't see the head. No doubt a mature buck. I dropped to my knees and readied for the shot. As he came behind the shield in my previous post I came to full draw still not seeing how big he was but ready to kill anyway. As he cleared the opening I saw a big blocky head.......WITH NO HORNS!! :doh:

I let him pass confirming he really was a mature shed buck. Shortly after I see another bigger body headed my way but obviously slightly smaller than the last one. This time I had my bow ready but didn't draw back because I saw no horns. Of course he was obviously a shed buck too and probably a 2 year old.

Just my luck but that's how it goes late season. I have been struggling the last few weeks so I look at it as a good way to close the season. Being that close on the ground to a mature buck was really cool.

Time to move onto next season so scouting begins immediately. There is no such thing as an offseason. ;)
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:46 am

Awesome Dewey I have thoroughly enjoyed following you this year!!!
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:47 am

Dewey wrote:Well everything worked out perfectly like I planned. At exactly 4:30 pm I see a BIG bodied deer headed my way but couldn't see the head. No doubt a mature buck. I dropped to my knees and readied for the shot. As he came behind the shield in my previous post I came to full draw still not seeing how big he was but ready to kill anyway. As he cleared the opening I saw a big blocky head.......WITH NO HORNS!! :doh:

I let him pass confirming he really was a mature shed buck. Shortly after I see another bigger body headed my way but obviously slightly smaller than the last one. This time I had my bow ready but didn't draw back because I saw no horns. Of course he was obviously a shed buck too and probably a 2 year old.

Just my luck but that's how it goes late season. I have been struggling the last few weeks so I look at it as a good way to close the season. Being that close on the ground to a mature buck was really cool.

Time to move onto next season so scouting begins immediately. There is no such thing as an offseason. ;)

What a bummer Dewey :cry:
Still gotta feel good knowing your plan and ground set worked, though.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:59 am

Great hunt Dewey!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:31 pm

Dewey wrote:Well everything worked out perfectly like I planned. At exactly 4:30 pm I see a BIG bodied deer headed my way but couldn't see the head. No doubt a mature buck. I dropped to my knees and readied for the shot. As he came behind the shield in my previous post I came to full draw still not seeing how big he was but ready to kill anyway. As he cleared the opening I saw a big blocky head.......WITH NO HORNS!! :doh:

Whaaat?!? My gut was that you were gonna kill one tonight. Can't believe that happened. At least your set up was spot on...
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:32 pm

2 does for me this evening. Good hunt dewey!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Lockdown wrote:

Whaaat?!? My gut was that you were gonna kill one tonight. Can't believe that happened. At least your set up was spot on...

Both would have been dead deer. Had no clue I was there. 8-)

I would have video but the cold zapped the battery in my Tactacam. :angry-banghead:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Wow...A heart breaker! Sounds like a great spot for next season!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Islandhunter

Unread postby Islandhunter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:02 am

That is unfortunate ending, but a great hunt none the less.
As a newer member I've really enjoyed your hunts throughout the season!
Thanks.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:39 am

:handgestures-thumbupright: 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :doh: :text-thankyouyellow:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Awesome hunt dewey 8-)
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:17 am

Tyler and I are in SD once again. LAST DAY for a nice fat doe! Going to drive around at first light and spot check. Hopefully put a few to bed and set a well placed trap this evening!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:35 am

Gettem lockdown 8-)
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”