The subtle things that lead to success?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

The subtle things that lead to success?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:09 pm

Curiosity to know for the guys that are consistently successful on mature bucks...what do you think are the subtle things are that make the difference?

As an example - I have experienced seeing the same buck year over year in the same place at the same time (within a few days)...unless something drastic changes I know where I will be setting on the day after Thanksgiving this year. Same goes for the week between Christmas and New Years if I don't tag one by then.
What other things...whether it be in scouting that you see that average hunters do not....stand set, whatever.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
kiltman

Re: The subtle things that lead to success?

Unread postby kiltman » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:02 am

tame deer and high fence! :lol:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:54 am

kiltman wrote:tame deer and high fence! :lol:

I see you are new. Welcome! Although sadly there is some truth to your statement, lets keep this constructive. This isn't AT.

I pay attention to quite a few things but one thing I would stress is getting a shot on any buck that gets within bow range, and making the shot when I get it. I think there are a couple big factors in that. I spend a lot of time thinking about what setup gives me the best opportunity when picking spots. If I don't think I can get a shot, as far as I am concerned I need to keep looking for a better setup.

Then when I am on stand, visualization plays a big role....just imagine a buck coming in from a variety of angles and what I have to do if he does this or that, including tough situations. I am absolutely certain this has resulted in me killing a couple of bucks I otherwise would not have. I had a split second and if I did not think about it beforehand I probably would not have gotten it done. There are plenty other situations I wish I HAD visualized.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:49 am

I am almost certain wanting it so bad causes hunters to do dumb things. If you are trying so hard you often lose track of the small things that add up to success. I'd be willing to bet if a real good big buck hunter were to set up a stand in a great location a good percentage of hunters couldn't kill a buck out of it. :think:

I have even done this myself I set good friend up on a bachelor group of bucks, stand site in place told him what wind and how to approach the stand. He hunted the stand site with the wrong wind and junked the spot. I had patterned the bucks and was pretty sure they would show up again. I could have killed the best buck of the group but passed him.

This is what I mean about trying too hard and doing dumb things. I was just hunting, my friend was hunting desperate. I also agree with Joe. You gotta have a shot. That is the the last part of the equation to success.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:21 am

Seeing a sign or a movement pattern then getting aggressive. Quiet access and set up is a must also. Being able to read terrain to see where your scent will blow with thermals and wind. Just a few yds can make a difference. Not really an expert in thes things but I'm not novice either. Guys like Dan and Stan with alot of years chasing big bucks I'm sure pick up on subtle things some guys dont

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:25 am

Great posts guys. One thing Joe said really hit home with me, and that's envisioning every possible scenario. I like to look at the trails in my effective shooting range and imagine a buck using each trail, heading each direction. If I can imagine a scenario where I don't have a shot, I do what I can to fix that. It might be as simple as trimming more, or maybe using brush to alter his path.

Don't ignore the faint trails either. Make sure you can cover everything.

Years ago Dad and I were trimming a set in a particularly thick area. It was really hot, it took forever, and we were tired. The set looked good but I noticed a trail we couldn't cover that well. Dad said "Well ya can't trim EVERYTHING!" I disagreed and reluctantly left it be.

What happened on the first sit? Buck came out on that trail and Dad never got a shot. Terrible luck but just goes to show you have to have ALL of your bases covered. Don't say "good enough" when making a set!! Trim it to perfection!

Even when I'm hunting bedding and I fully expect a buck to come from one direction, I always make sure I can shoot to all the trails around me. It's best to be prepared for everything and expect the unexpected.

mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:45 am

Agree with Joe as well. I think the more successful hunters seem to have a knack or 6th sense for putting their stands in just the right spot as well as doing the right things when a buck does come in. Something I am still re-learning. I can think of 3 different missed opportunities in the last 3 years where being just off in where I set my stand cost me. Learning from those errors is a key as well.

Being patient with the right wind is another one.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:07 am

Oh and after re-reading your first post Id like to point out I'm not a "consistent mature buck killer"... More like a consistent medium sized buck killer lol

I think the amount of subtle things the best hunters do slightly better than the rest of us is quite vast. I'm sure Dan or any of the elite guys could come up with dozens of "minor" things that end up making a big difference when you add them all up.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:19 am

I don't consider myself to be consistently successful on mature bucks but notice that those that do without a doubt pay a huge amount of attention to the details. Number one reason is they are very good at putting themselves on quality bucks even in areas many think they don't exist. Anybody can go to a buck rich area and kill nice bucks every year but the guys that can do it in much lesser areas have all my respect because I know they have without a doubt put in extreme hard work and used all the details to their advantage. Hunting mature bucks is the ultimate chess match that very few can master every single year.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:11 am

Staying mobile and not camping out... Live it, don't just say it.

Make a plan, and stick to it unless there is a very good reason to alter.

Pick every stand believing you are going to shoot your target buck. No doe days, no easy tree, every hunt.

Don't get hung up on others and there success. Worry about what you do, and what matters to you

Have fun. Never get angry about failure. You should be happy just to hunt, when you get an opportunity and fail, be happy you had an opportunity, and realize there are those who are stuck in wheel chairs, homes, and under tomb stones who would give anything for one unsuccessful day in the woods. Your a lucky man just to be out there and to be free.

Constantly try new spots, think about areas where no one goes. Then find a way to get there.

Karma... Be good to others. Be humble and congratulate others who are successful, don't be a hater.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:36 pm

dan wrote: be good to others. Be humble and congratulate others who are successful, don't be a hater.

This

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Would agree with others...keep it fun.

This is not a competition of "who is the greatest" jealously and insecurity seem to run rampant among deer hunters. Discrediting every other hunter because they hunt better areas or have more opportunities. When you can take a deep breath and realize its ok to be where your at, hunting becomes fun again.

Hardwork. Just flat out hard work. At some point, it has to be done.

Here is rundown of what I do on stand when you setup. Draw your bow, make sure you can get drawn, in back of the stand...to the side. Make sure elbow is not going to contact tree. Step all over your stand to make sure its not going to creak because it did not get firmly seated. Make sure your boots are not going to squeak. Make sure my top cam has clearance. When I fold my seat, make sure it does not creak. Make sure bottom cam is going to clear the stand. Arrow knocked, release attached. Make sure any safety straps or straps on the stand are going to clear. If its a quiet night, may have to stand most of the evening. Yardages. Check landmarks with range finder.

Most guys who are killing big bucks have shot their fair share of small bucks.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Thinking about squeaks and creaks, the tip about wrapping your tree stand cables is a good one that I never thought about (of countless other things) until Dan talked about it.

Dan is so right about enjoying being out...if there is anything I do right that is the top one!

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Stanley wrote:I am almost certain wanting it so bad causes hunters to do dumb things.

[glow=red]Stop talking about me - I'm right here!!!???!!!...[/glow]
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:33 am

Make aggressive moves... hunt off the ground, hunt in the thick, get in super early, if u see something from stand and u are not in the right spot = move, if u see a buck bed = stalk em, cold front = hunt, recent daylight trailcam pic = hunt, light rain = hunt, sit all day if the spot warrants, pay attention to where you walk to and from your stands = plan ur hunt

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”