The subtle things that lead to success?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Arrowbender
500 Club

Re: The subtle things that lead to success?

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:46 am

I think it's a tough question for the most "good" guys to answer. A lot of what they do is not "subtle" to them, it's obvious.
One thing that I notice VERY often is when walking in the woods with others is how loud they are. Foot falls, coughs, voices, zippers velcroe ..... If I was to never hunt with others I would just figure everyone always tried to be quiet.
I bet the big timers do a bunch of "helpful"stuff that they just do and don't realize it's different. Especially if they were trappers or farmers or hunted with or were taught by awesome woodsman as youngsters.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:02 am

Arrowbender wrote:I think it's a tough question for the most "good" guys to answer. A lot of what they do is not "subtle" to them, it's obvious.
One thing that I notice VERY often is when walking in the woods with others is how loud they are. Foot falls, coughs, voices, zippers velcroe ..... If I was to never hunt with others I would just figure everyone always tried to be quiet.
I bet the big timers do a bunch of "helpful"stuff that they just do and don't realize it's different. Especially if they were trappers or farmers or hunted with or were taught by awesome woodsman as youngsters.

100% agree. I think is a lot that is left unsaid on many posts because it seems obvious. But not so obvious to newer guys.

Bucky ...just what I mean. That all seems obvious. But to many, not obvious at all. It makes the difference between being successful and not.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cameron

Unread postby cameron » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:09 am

Arrowbender wrote:I think it's a tough question for the most "good" guys to answer. A lot of what they do is not "subtle" to them, it's obvious.

I totally agree with this. I'm by no means a big buck killer but I kill deer that I'm happy with every year. Years ago I would go in before daylight or the afternoon but didn't care about the route that I took, the noise that I made, shining my light etc. I just figured if I got there before daylight then I'd be good and if I blew the deer out in the afternoon then they might come back. Now, I plan my route, rarely use a light and if I do, I keep most of the beam covered with my hand and don't move it around much. I try to stay super quiet while walking in and setting up my stand. By doing these things, I've become a much more efficient hunter.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”