Trail cam in public land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

maukings

Trail cam in public land

Unread postby maukings » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:19 am

Guys I've been kicking the idea of setting up a trail cam in the middle of a strip of woods with a large open ag field on one side and a creek on the opposite. This is public land but it's pretty massive. I've seen some videos of guys setting up the cameras up on trees at an angle. Harder for game and people to spot and reach. Is this a waste of time and money?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

hunter_mike

Re: Trail cam in public land

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:24 am

Doesnt sound like a waste of time or money to me!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:38 am

hunter_mike wrote:Doesnt sound like a waste of time or money to me!

X2

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:39 am

This is my first year putting trail cams on public. They've been out there since late June fingers crossed they are still there. I hung them high. I don't think it's a waste they can give valuable information about the age class of an area.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:55 am

i recently added python locks to all my cams. That and the fact that I am hanging them as high as possible, eliminates a lot of risk I think. If someone reeeally wants your cam or SD card they can get it, but its a chance I am willing to take.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:33 am

I'm not as worried this time of year hanging them on public. Most public land hunters aren't even thinking about bowhunting yet. The end of Aug and Sept the woods will be much busier. I still hang them 10ft+.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
keepthefevercalls

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:41 am

I'm new to all this but I've been hanging them high, taking a LW stock out with me. I just shove a rock behind the cam to angle it. I python lock it to the tree and then use a small lock on the cam itself.
Some insurance companies off valuable personal property insurance that you can insure your cams with.
Mike

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:01 am

I've been hanging cams on public for 6 years and haven't had one stolen yet. Thought my streak was over this year, but turn out a bear ripped it off the tree and u found it on in a bush under the tree. This is pressured public, but I doubt my cameras have been seen many times. If there is a lot of traffic there, I'm not interested anyway. For me, the enjoyment and intel I get from trail cameras is worth the risk of having one stolen.

Couple pieces of advice
Don't leave anything out that you can't afford to lose. I don't think any of mine cost over $100.

When I first started, I was so worried about losing the camera, I hardly got any pictures. Hang it on a good opening, just not at the intersection of a big walking trail. What's the point of having the camera if you don't get pictures.

There aren't many guys other guys out in the preseason scouting, so I am more brave in my placement until gun season is about to start. Sometimes I take them out totally at that point.

Put your camera high across from scrapes. You might be surprised at the traffic they see and the nice thing is bucks are usually stopped there for a good picture. Good luck!

http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:10 am

I'm running 6 in 6 different public areas, definitely not a waste of time. Risky? Maybe but to be honest I hear more stories from customers who have them stolen on private than I've heard on public.

briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:28 am

My thing is this, if I already own it, what good is it doing me sitting at my house? None, so I really try from mid June to late August to have them up and running. To me that is Trail camera season, which for me has little to do with hunting season. I just enjoy it and enjoy seeing what bucks are in the area in the summer and keep me excited, but really I don't count on seeing any of them come real hunting time.

The best way I like to use them for real date is to hang them in July, get them in December and take notes. You can learn a good bit in those months to use next year. Hang em high, hope for the best and expect the worst.
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:25 am

I run cams on public as well. Haven't had one come up missing yet, but I always get nervous when I go to check them. Especially after a 6 week soak...
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:10 am

I've been running camera's on public for years, have yet to have one stolen. Just hang em high, you'll be fine. I look at it as I do not own my own hunting land thus paying property taxes, food plots and everything else that goes with propety ownership. If I were to have cams stolen I am still getting by extremely cheap compared to the guy that does own land. My 2 cents
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:48 pm

Gotta judge risk vs reward! Hang um and hang um high! I keep a pack of dirt cheap wood shims for getting the proper angle

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”