Kris Kristofferson's Lyme disease misdiagnosed as Alzheimer'

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Kris Kristofferson's Lyme disease misdiagnosed as Alzheimer'

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:17 am

Kris Kristofferson's Lyme disease misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's

Musician and actor Kris Kristofferson at a memorial service for the late boxer Muhammad Ali in Louisville, June 10, 2016. The 80-year-old star was misdiagnosed with Alzheimer's, say friends, but he actually has Lyme disease. LUCAS JACKSON/REUTERS
12 Comments 6.3K Shares Tweet Stumble Email
Actor and songwriter Kris Kristofferson and some of those closest to him are speaking out about his health problems and their surprising cause.

Kristoffferson struggled with memory problems in recent years and was told he had Alzheimer's disease, but it appears he was misdiagnosed and all along has actually been suffering from the tick-borne illness Lyme disease.

Articles in Rolling Stone and the entertainment magazine Closer Weekly reveal that the 80-year-old -- whose songs have been covered by the likes of Johnny Cash, Janis Joplin and Elvis Presley -- has struggled through a years-long medical odyssey.

Kristofferson and his wife Lisa told Rolling Stone that for years, doctors had been telling him that his increasingly debilitating memory loss was due to either Alzheimer's or to dementia brought on by blows to the head from boxing and playing football and rugby in his teens and early twenties.

"Some days, Kristofferson couldn't even remember what he was doing from one moment to the next," the site said of the actor who starred alongside Barbra Streisand in the 1976 film "A Star is Born," and who's known for his roles in the Blade movies and other films.

Earlier this year, though, a doctor decided to test Kristofferson for Lyme disease, which can cause neurological problems, including memory issues and what some describe as "brain fog," as well as a broad range of other symptoms. The test came back positive.

His wife told Rolling Stone she believes he picked the infection up from a tick as he crawled around the forest in Vermont during six weeks of filming the movie "Disappearances."

Read More:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kris-kristo ... e-disease/

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Re: Kris Kristofferson's Lyme disease misdiagnosed as Alzhei

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:26 am

Does not surprise me that he picked it up in Vermont! :lol: .

My Aunt is having the same issues, they said it was an onset of parkinsins though, and then told her it was lyme, and now they are back onto the Parkinsons diagnosis. Makes me wonder...
-Rick
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:27 am

Crappy I think it's often misdiagnosed isn't it?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:41 am

2 hunting buddies are being treated for it right now. Seriously treated. Meaning, they have had lyme for a period of a few years. Very few people specialize in it. And one thing I have heard of recent, you can get lyme from a tick bite in 15minutes. Not 24hrs as the medical doctors have told us.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:09 am

I had it a couple years ago, but got it diagnosed within a couple weeks. I was able to be treated with just antibiotics. I feel very lucky. I know a couple of people that are having serious health issues because of being untreated for many years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
AntlerAddiction

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:09 am

Lyme disease is NOTHING TO PLAY WITH! Don't take chances and if you have any doubts about your "diagnosis" then seek out a doctor that is knowledgeable about lyme and consult them. It is a real and serious threat and will ruin your life if untreated.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:41 pm

My wife and 2 of her sisters have Lyme, I tested positive but have had 0 symptoms. I'm from CT - where they named it. We used to pull ticks off off each other like monkeys after a hunt. My dad tested positive and did a stint of anti-bods....came clean...will not hunt where there are any ticks - he OR his dog.

From the research Lyme is amazing - it is a screw type disease like Syphilis. It can camouflage itself, it encapsulates itself in cysts, it lives in a tick's brain and transfers itself into a host in like 1 millionth of a second, etc. It dates back to the dinosaurs. It can be transferred thru sex or mosquitoes. It is often present in tears of effected folks. Lyme is characterized by multiple different symptoms that vary from person to person - some folks say a lot of the auto immune diseases like Lupus are from Lyme.

Nothing to play with at all. My wife's doc said that most people have it and our body's fight it off enough to keep it dormant. If there is a stress to the body, it may take over.

I would not wish this on ANYONE. I'm sure Stash agrees.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:28 am

Yeah, It sucks!!!!!

And Maine it may not even take 15 minutes. As soon as the tick injects it's anti-coagulant in you. If it's a carrier. You got it!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”