Deer Calls

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Deer Calls

Unread postby Jrichard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:34 am

So I have about $400 in Amazon reward points, and the one thing that I dont have is a nice deer call. Whats the best deer call in everyone's opinion?

And I just found these rope tree straps for hunters safety system. They look like they are SOOOOOOOO much easier to use than the ones that come with the harnesses. Just thought I would throw that out there in case anyone else is annotyed with them when they use their climbers. Amazing. I am pumped now.

Dutch

Re: Deer Calls

Unread postby Dutch » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:03 am

The rope tree strap makes life much easier with a climbing tree stand. Definitely order it.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:39 am

The Away hands free grunt tube. I've been using it for the last almost 20 years. Have called in many bucks with it.
https://awayhunting.com/shop/bowgrunter-plus-black/
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:32 pm

Dutch wrote:The rope tree strap makes life much easier with a climbing tree stand. Definitely order it.

Oh yeah i went on amazon and bought 3 of them lol, I am so excited. If it works as good as it did in the video I'll be thrilled. I'll be honest that was the one reason I didnt like to go out in the woods. And I would always end up coming back to the car early. On a couple occasions DEEP was standing right next to my car because when I would get down from the tree the strap would always twist around and eventually I would struggle for 10 or 15 minutes to try to straighten the strap out. lol So this should ease that annoyance lol. probably the best $45 I have ever spent. Not to mention it technically didnt cost me a dime lol.
keepthefevercalls

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:10 am

This isn't on amazon unfortunately, but I'll give a shameless plug for Hook's Messenger grunt call. You can't overblow it-I've tried-and it doesn't stick. If you know anything from the turkey calling world James Harrison developed it...also it starts off with the higher tone of a younger buck, made to help you see more bucks.
http://hookscalls.com/inc/sdetail/messe ... call/17364

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:24 am

I have an old Hunters Specialty model. Can't recall the name. It has the top part of the barrel cut out. With a rubber tube over it. This allows one to use their finger to manipulate the pressure point on the reed. I can get sounds in the range from a fawn bleat to a mature buck roar. I like being able to use 1 call for every sound.

I know they are really hyped but the Extenguisher deer call has this versatility also.

I do carry 1 more grunt tube. I don't remember who made it. I have the flexible sound tube placed on the mouth end of the call. I then suck in on the other end. I use this when it's cold enough out that the reed on the other call freezes and sticks.
It's a much softer sounding grunt though!!!

Not much help to you for a particular brand, but just wanted to show some points when considering what to buy.
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:27 am

Thanks everybody! Any info is good. It gives me a good idea of what I am looking for, and usually a wide rang of options. I just dont wan to buy something and have it crap out on me half way through the rut haha
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:01 pm

True talker from hunters specialties

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:23 pm

Primos Buck Roar
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:29 pm

I've had a lot better luck using doe bleats. I like the primos lil shawty. It makes a buck grunt and a doe bleat, has setting. It fits in the corner of your mouth and can be used hands free. It's very small very packable and useful all season.

That said, most buck tubes are adjustable to make a doe bleat. Mixing in a doe bleat with buck grunts has worked well for me in the past.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
keepthefevercalls

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:18 am

Here is a video about the Messenger...short but shows all you need to know.
https://youtu.be/yV7O1f8YDOk

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”