Help reading Topo

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Shady Grove
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/noahstokesart

Help reading Topo

Unread postby Shady Grove » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:15 pm

Need help reading my topo and making sure I understand how to find potential areas bucks prefer to bed. While I am learning a lot from you guys about how bucks use the topography to their advantage - the land I hunt is flat as toast. Attached is property map - topo and satellite. On the topo I have marked the leeward side of what few hills we have (in blue). Orange line is property boundaries (1500 acres) and river is border to the east. Top of the page is North. Does it really matter that there are no dramatic highs and lows - they are still going to seek the highest ground realitive to what is around, correct? In thick cover on a SW faceing slope not being used now - will improving the access with a chainsaw and a few flat spots encourage a buck to come in there and take it over? Second year hunting the property. Along with your topo scouting advise - I'd like to hear thoughts, ideas, and favorite tactics for hunting the river and even though it is flat what areas stick out to you as having good potential. Prevailing winds Sept-Dec NE. Thanks

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Re: Help reading Topo

Unread postby Jrichard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:50 am

I am not expert but the first thing I would check out is some of those Oxbows. I have a feeling depending on what kind of terain you find out there, they could either being bedding or crossing there. Also take a look a the land on the other side of the brook/river. In one of my spots I couldn't figure out where the deer would bed because everything was so damn flat. But it turns out that on the other side of brook there are massive ledges and benches where I feel like the deer bed. I did not go running through there because I didn't want to spook anything for the season. But Tracks coming across the brook and my trail cam pictures reinforce my suspicions. So I would consider taking a look at the terrain on the other side of the river and find where you think the bedding would be. And check the nearest oxbow to see where and if they are bedding there and crossing nearby. lol. Good luck. Hope this helped. Its just an experience I recently had thought I would share.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:15 am

I like that marsh Transition as well looks a lot like a transition I would hammer in the swamp.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:25 am

I dont mean to steal this thread but how do you find prevailing winds for the fall?
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:27 am

Looks like most of the hunter access would be from up top?

Your blue marks are spot on for where bedding theoretically should be, but I agree with other comments, I would be down in that bottom. That is probably where the better buck bedding will be.

Couple nice islands down there straight south of where it says "prevailing wind"
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Shady Grove

Unread postby Shady Grove » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:34 am

PK_ - since you mentioned access. Here is map of roads - white (normal dirt road) - lt. blue 4 wheel drive. The bottom road (as we call it) parallels the river in the northeast portion of the property. It is drive-able most of the time with a few wet areas. When the river is up however or with a good amount of rain it can be pretty hairy.

I made some additional notes on the satellite map - yellow dots = biggest bucks on camera last year (most all at night). Red dot = big buck missed opening day. Blue X - What I think was a buck bed I found in February. Green shapes - They are old logging decks (openings) - I had firebreaks put around each and plan to burn off or herbicide (or both) and plant moving forward. Just FYI

Except near the landings I have never walked around much in the river swamp. Sounds like that is where I need to concentrate my efforts. I am headed there this weekend to trek around and do some habitat work.

If I remember - I'll post some picture of what I find. And some pictures of the transition areas - it's not really a marsh. Move like a flood plane.

Thanks - keep the observations coming

Shady Grove

Unread postby Shady Grove » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:37 pm

[quote="Shady Grove"]Need help reading my topo and making sure I understand how to find potential areas bucks prefer to bed. While I am learning a lot from you guys about how bucks use the topography to their advantage - the land I hunt is flat as toast. Attached is property map - topo and satellite. On the topo I have marked the leeward side of what few hills we have (in blue). Orange line is property boundaries (1500 acres) and river is border to the east. Top of the page is North. Does it really matter that there are no dramatic highs and lows - they are still going to seek the highest ground realitive to what is around, correct? In thick cover on a SW faceing slope not being used now - will improving the access with a chainsaw and a few flat spots encourage a buck to come in there and take it over? Second year hunting the property. Along with your topo scouting advise - I'd like to hear thoughts, ideas, and favorite tactics for hunting the river and even though it is flat what areas stick out to you as having good potential. Prevailing winds Sept-Dec NE. Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”