Taking inventory of spots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johnsoninc86

Re: Taking inventory of spots

Unread postby johnsoninc86 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:46 am

Google Earth is a good place to start with organizing hunt spots for me. I drop placemarks down for all my different spots and take notes of the details of the bed or spot in the "preferences" section, including wind, bed conditions, rubs nearby, special conditions, etc. These new placemarks will show up in the sidepane when viewing google earth. They can then start to be organized based on whatever category you would like. Right now, I've got them organized by wind direction. This makes it easy to quickly look at the wind forecast and immediately be able to identify options for those days. I also have a separate folder in Google Earth for "rut spots". This again allows quick reference for those peak rut hunts, mostly funnels and saddles, not so much bedding oriented.

The nice thing about Google Earth is that it can readily be shared with my handheld GPS, so transferring the map to in the field hunts is fairly easy.

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 am

For me it is all in my head. (In more ways that one!). But I have started to write things down single doing more spotting this year. I like the excel sheet idea, very organised. Just what I need!
-Rick
mastermind

Unread postby mastermind » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:20 pm

My mental/3D archery coach always tells me....you can't manage what you can't measure. The human brain can only remember so many details. For me the devil is in the details when it comes to consistently killing mature bucks.

I use my garmin GPS and Google maps for all my spots/locations. I've been mulling the idea of keeping a 3 ring binder with satellite photos and stand locations of all my areas and break them down by area then wind direction and maybe even the time of year, early season, pre rut, rut etc.

I definitely need to get better at keeping a full on hunting season journal noting the weather/moon/human pressure/food/sightings and not just notes. I'm sure I'm missing more than I can remember. For 3D competition I keep tabs of every thing I do/equipment setup/weather/arrows shot/location and I read it once a week but I struggle to do the same for bowhunting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DO WORK SON!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”