Staging Areas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Staging Areas

Unread postby Jrichard » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:18 am

Okay so I have a spot that I found this past January. It is in the middle of all of this thick stuff. It has saplings that are very very close together as well as briars everywhere. My shins are usually bloodied pretty good after leaving this spot (even with tear proof pants on.) Then once your get through about 150 to 200 yards of the thick stuff, you come to this area that has grass and a MASSIVE oak tree in the middle. The spot is only about 20 or 25 yards in radius. I found a lot of rubs in this particular area so at first I figured it was a bucks bedding area. So I put up my trail camera to see what was around. When I came back after 3 weeks I had 60 or so pictures on my camera. There wasn't any bucks, but there were tons of Does. They are in this area at the very least every other day. But they graze in this area from between 6 am to 9 am and then from 6 pm to about 8 pm. So I did a little more looking around in this area and I noticed there are a couple of beaten down runs going right into this area. And I searched on my hands and knees for beds. Didn't find a single one.

So I am wondering what I should look for to see if this is a bedding area or a staging area. I have had some great luck finding info on here on bedding areas. So I feel as though I have a pretty good idea as to what bedding looks like. But now I am wondering what there is to look for as far as staging areas. I have heard a few guys on here mention look for over turned leaves and look to see if they have been chewing on anything. But in my pictures I see them chewing on branches but when I go to look at the branch it doesn't really show signs of being chewed on lol. What else should I be looking for? It is just confusing me because it seems like a typical bedding area but they don't seem to use it that way...

DeerDylan
500 Club

Re: Staging Areas

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:41 am

Is it flat or hilly terrain?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:50 am

My definition of a staging area would put bedding very close. Does are either traveling there to feed, or bedding close by and staging there. I bet they are bedding close based on your description.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:51 am

For staging areas - I look for a lot of rubs from multiple years, concentration of big tracks and big poop, and you can look for browse that has been used - don't look for bite marks look for missing leaves. Deer don't have upper front teeth so they tear leaves from stems not bite them in two. These should be in relation to secure buck bedding.... not sure what over turned leaves will tell you as we have a ton of critters like hogs, squirrels, and armadillos that will do that. If you can find a concentration of all the above (rubs, large tracks, used browse line, and big poop) in a relatively small area and close to secure buck bedding - you are there. Usually I find them near some kind of topography change, barrier or change in canopy....... think of the living room at home - probably a lot of little things that show it is a high use area.

If you got a lot of doe pictures and no bucks in your area (especially this time of year) then I suspect you are in doe bedding. The rubs were probably made by bucks as they courted does (could be a rut related staging area)- I would keep it in mind for last week of Oct and first couple weeks in Nov and see if I could determine what wind they use it on (probably can glean this info from your date on pictures and compare to old weather forecast) then get a stand using that wind and set it up downwind of doe bedding during that time frame. i.e. try to catch a buck that knows when the does are bedding there (what wind) and scent checking it from downwind.
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:46 am

Thanks guys!

Well it's not a very hilly area. But in February when I walked through after a snow storm, I followed what I thought was the main trail ( it was the day after the storm hit and it hit hard at night so there were not tracks) and it took me up a slight incline, through a rock wall and between these two hills. So they are funneling between the hills and down into this area. So there are some hills in the area. And they are about 100 yards or so behind this clearing. If I remember correctly. I dont want to run through the woods this close to the season to refresh. But I am 99% positive thats what took place. The trail even opens up when you get to the top of the incline that runs between the two hills. And to the left and the right it gets really thick. But not with briars. It gets thick with sapplings and small trees all tight together. I tried following a rub line into this area before and I couldn't make my way through because of all the tight spaces and the snow. I kept falling. (it was quite comical to see) So I figured they were bedding up there and walking down through that funnel into the open area with that big oak tree. But where the oak tree is where all the prickers are. And people always say thats perfect bedding for a white tail.

P.S. I did bump a deer and her fawn out of there the other day so I am sure that they bed there sometimes but thats the first time it has happened in 7 months.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:02 pm

Did you check the outer edges of the thicket? I've found they prefer to bed only 5-10 yards into the thicket where they can see the more open areas.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:17 am

Early season, if I get pics of does and lambs in any quantity, I typically will move my cameras and concentrate my efforts elsewhere. Typically more does = no mature bucks in early season. Most areas bigger bucks or bachelor groups really will not spend time around doe groups prior to the rut.
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:40 am

I appreciate the insight guys! But honestly I am looking to harvest my first deer. :p I don't really care if its a doe lol. I just need it under my belt to learn from the experience. I honestly would love to shoot a slob for my first deer ever, but I would be just as happy with anything. I am looking for good deer activity so that I have a high percentage chance of harvesting any deer. I am trying to take baby steps. I am struggling a little with tracking down monsters idk if its because of a lack of monsters, or if it is because I am looking in all the wrong places. I just actually received my "Mapping Trophy Bucks" book and got about 5 or 6 pages into it and then I got a customer. But the first few pages have already clarified a few questions I had about Topography maps. The best I have seen on this public land is a small 8 point and pretty big 6 point, and a smaller 6 point in this spot. Then I have seen about 6 or 7 does. But this is the most deer I have seen in a smaller piece like this. So I figure that that ill probably give me a really good shot at taking a deer this year. I went all year last year without one and it is killing me. Trust me I love being out in the woods, and every time I get time out there its a win. but trying so hard to accomplish something so difficult kind of consumes me. I am very ambitious. lol
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:25 am

Jrichard wrote: But honestly I am looking to harvest my first deer.

I bet with a good attitude like that you have a great first season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:18 am

I hope so! I have definitely put in a lot of time in the woods this past off season. Now its just time to try to put it to work. Idk about everyone on here but here in the North East in RI the gypsy moths have destroyed our oak supply. So finding that small group of mature white oak trees is going to be key this year. I feel like if I can find that I should have a good shot. If anyone can answer a few questions about oak trees I would appreciate it. Just inbox me!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:19 am

Jrichard wrote:I appreciate the insight guys! But honestly I am looking to harvest my first deer. :p I don't really care if its a doe lol. I just need it under my belt to learn from the experience. I honestly would love to shoot a slob for my first deer ever, but I would be just as happy with anything. I am looking for good deer activity so that I have a high percentage chance of harvesting any deer. I am trying to take baby steps. I am struggling a little with tracking down monsters idk if its because of a lack of monsters, or if it is because I am looking in all the wrong places. I just actually received my "Mapping Trophy Bucks" book and got about 5 or 6 pages into it and then I got a customer. But the first few pages have already clarified a few questions I had about Topography maps. The best I have seen on this public land is a small 8 point and pretty big 6 point, and a smaller 6 point in this spot. Then I have seen about 6 or 7 does. But this is the most deer I have seen in a smaller piece like this. So I figure that that ill probably give me a really good shot at taking a deer this year. I went all year last year without one and it is killing me. Trust me I love being out in the woods, and every time I get time out there its a win. but trying so hard to accomplish something so difficult kind of consumes me. I am very ambitious. lol

If you plan on some day being a big buck killer, I would recommend you start out hunting for big bucks... That probably sounds like I am going against some things I have already said in the past, but hear me out... If your desire / goal is to hang a big buck on the wall "some day" make an attempt to do so now, but that don't mean you can't shoot smaller deer when they come in. If you hunt for small deer, look for small deer, and make efforts to hunt small deer, you are going to get in bad habits of hunting over food and sign and funnels, and when you go to advance to "big buck hunter" your going to have to relearn to hunt and kick those habits... If you hunt for big bucks you will get opportunities for small ones. But if you hunt for small ones you will need to get lucky to get a big one.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:34 am

dan wrote:

If you plan on some day being a big buck killer, I would recommend you start out hunting for big bucks... That probably sounds like I am going against some things I have already said in the past, but hear me out... If your desire / goal is to hang a big buck on the wall "some day" make an attempt to do so now, but that don't mean you can't shoot smaller deer when they come in. If you hunt for small deer, look for small deer, and make efforts to hunt small deer, you are going to get in bad habits of hunting over food and sign and funnels, and when you go to advance to "big buck hunter" your going to have to relearn to hunt and kick those habits... If you hunt for big bucks you will get opportunities for small ones. But if you hunt for small ones you will need to get lucky to get a big one.

Wow, why didnt you tell me that 8 years ago. That deserves to be read again.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:36 am

dan wrote:
Jrichard wrote:I appreciate the insight guys! But honestly I am looking to harvest my first deer. :p I don't really care if its a doe lol. I just need it under my belt to learn from the experience. I honestly would love to shoot a slob for my first deer ever, but I would be just as happy with anything. I am looking for good deer activity so that I have a high percentage chance of harvesting any deer. I am trying to take baby steps. I am struggling a little with tracking down monsters idk if its because of a lack of monsters, or if it is because I am looking in all the wrong places. I just actually received my "Mapping Trophy Bucks" book and got about 5 or 6 pages into it and then I got a customer. But the first few pages have already clarified a few questions I had about Topography maps. The best I have seen on this public land is a small 8 point and pretty big 6 point, and a smaller 6 point in this spot. Then I have seen about 6 or 7 does. But this is the most deer I have seen in a smaller piece like this. So I figure that that ill probably give me a really good shot at taking a deer this year. I went all year last year without one and it is killing me. Trust me I love being out in the woods, and every time I get time out there its a win. but trying so hard to accomplish something so difficult kind of consumes me. I am very ambitious. lol

Now there's a different take on it!!! But it actually makes a ton of sense. As usual Dan!!!! :think: :think: :doh:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”