Do you Beast Style hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you buck hunt Beast Style?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 56
Buck snort

Do you Beast Style hunt?

Unread postby Buck snort » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:31 am

I'm talking about the true definition of Beast Style hunting:. Going out scouting, finding a buck bed ( not just a general area where bucks bed), and then later, hunting season, setting up on that buck bed, hoping he's there that day.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Do you Beast Style hunt?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:03 am

Don't know as I agree with that definition of being "True Beast Hunting"..... I think it's more then one tactic so for that reason I voted no.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:07 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Don't know as I agree with that definition of being "True Beast Hunting"..... I think it's more then one tactic so for that reason I voted no.

I kind of agree with Dave... Not just that its more than one tactic, but also that in most cases your hunting a bedding area, not a bed, or suspected bedding.
Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:10 am

Hmmm, maybe I'm all wet on this one then. I thought that's how this forum was started, going out finding buck beds, and then setting up on them later, to kill that target buck using that bed.

Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:12 am

dan wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Don't know as I agree with that definition of being "True Beast Hunting"..... I think it's more then one tactic so for that reason I voted no.

I kind of agree with Dave... Not just that its more than one tactic, but also that in most cases your hunting a bedding area, not a bed, or suspected bedding.

I guess I'm lost then. I thought that's what your early 2 videos was all about. Finding a bed, and later setting up on it?
" Spokes on a wheel" ?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:20 am

Its about hunting and being close to bedding... I think in most cases its more a bedding area than a single bed "bed"...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:22 am

The better question might be "how many have shot deer by setting up on bedding? a lot of the time there are a lot of beds in a 1/4 acre area that could be holding the target buck and your on the exit for all of them...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:29 am

Buck snort wrote:I'm talking about the true definition of Beast Style hunting:. Going out scouting, finding a buck bed ( not just a general area where bucks bed), and then later, hunting season, setting up on that buck bed, hoping he's there that day.

This would be my definition of Beast Style hunting too.

Guess I have been doing it wrong all these years. :doh: :lol:
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:32 am

My definition is using past and current knowledge of known and presumed bedding to execute the kill

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:36 am

My definition is to be fully mobile and adaptable to changing conditions by scouting out, locating, and slipping in on mature bucks where they live. Or something like that

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:38 am

dan wrote:The better question might be "how many have shot deer by setting up on bedding? a lot of the time there are a lot of beds in a 1/4 acre area that could be holding the target buck and your on the exit for all of them...

I hunt bedding areas or suspected bedding areas nearly 100% of all my hunts. Very rarely single beds. Rut doe, bedding, pre rut, buck bedding.

My best tactic is when the exit involves a staging food source that is 75yds from a bed.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:42 am

DaveT1963 wrote:My definition is to be fully mobile and adaptable to changing conditions by scouting out, locating, and slipping in on mature bucks where they live. Or something like that

I can agree with that. Pretty much the same thing with a bit more detail. I still do focus on single beds though more often than not.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:57 am

Interesting topic. The buck I have my radar on this year is not bedding for the most part on the property I can hunt. I do know where he comes from sometimes. So if I set up for this buck and kill him is this Beast style? :confusion-shrug:
I had to vote no by your definition. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:59 am

I think the term Beast Style has morphed in my mind to mean hunting in an educated manor. There are many different terrains. Knowing how to hunt those terrains correctly would be Beast Style. For me alot of it centers on known beds.. Other times its bedding areas in general. Other times it may be secure food sources close to bedding. I feel it all starts with bedding but doesnt end there.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:01 am

In evenings, for the most part, I set up and hunt staging areas more then I do the bed itself.... but you seldom find one without the other. Mornings I hunt approaches to bedding areas. Rut I focus on funnels and dowwind of doe bedding..... but I'm always adapting to where the sign leads me..... does that qualify or disqualify me??? Not important..... does it put me on the deer I'm after.... that's what's important to me.

Last edited by DaveT1963 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”