Partner Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Partner Hunting

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:00 am

I know this topic gets talked about in some contexts occasionally, but who has a partner that they essentially share all of their scouting/knowledge etc. with?

Context is I have a very good friend who I hunt and fish with quite a bit. He's just starting to get into deer hunting with a little prodding from me, and I've been helping the best I can. He is also single, no kids and a very flexible job, so gets way more field time than I do. We scout together a bit, and I've sat him down to watch Marsh Bucks. I trust him, never had any reason not to.

Anyway, this season is going to be his first bowhunting, he's dabbled in gun hunting in the past but nothing too intense. He's getting pretty invested. I'm contemplating basically going all in on partnering up with him on our local public, meaning share scouting info, work together, basically open book between us. I think I can bring him a fair bit of experience and help that way, and he can bring me a lot of time in the field I don't have to get intel on spots/hot sign etc. Could be fruitful for both of us. Obviously I could control what I share, and he could certainly do the same, but I don't want to be a Richard and use him for intel and not share back cause the friendship isn't worth that. More what I'm thinking is as I help him learn how to scout and read sign a little better, I can point him in the direction of spots I haven't had a chance to check/scout since he will have more time, then we can work together to plan hunts. Also, for context, I'm only about three years in to "beast" hunting on the local public, so it's not like I have the roster of intel some of you guys have to start off with.

Anyone do anything similar? Thoughts, experiences?

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: Partner Hunting

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:21 am

I wrote an article about this a while back.
http://wiredtohunt.com/2015/10/20/teami ... a-partner/

I hunt alone often but I do you get the most enjoyment out of hunting with somebody. That doesn't mean hunting with somebody in the same tree but more strategizing together, hunting in the same area, sharing tactics etc. I think it takes a special duo to do that without things getting more complicated. Hunting nowadays is so selfish and everybody is so protective over their big buck. I get tons of enjoyment watching my friends shoot big bucks especially when I can be a part of it in someway.

My main partner, Mike, is as happy for me as I am for him when we get a deer down. There is absolutely no competition and it's a team effort. We don't get to hunt with each other much but I really enjoy it when we do. Have been a number of times when I've given him advice on a certain book or situation and he's went in and got an opportunity. Vice versa as well. I may have been a little more selfish in my younger years with my hunting spots, etc but as I've matured as a hunter that's just not what it's all about for me.

I will say it's difficult to find a good partner. If one gets a little more greedy or pissy about your success things can go downhill rather quickly.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:23 am

My very best friend knows spots I hunt. BUT for the most part, I go at it alone. Scouting, prepping all on my own. He is not hardcore into like I am. I am on deer and tagged out, put him in my sets. 100% trust him and am comfortable with sharing. (100% trust him with my life and my family for that matter)

Trips to the midwest, he goes with me. Share general knowledge and sightings with a bunch of buddies. But nothing specifically about the areas I hunt.

Just remember...you have to be ok with him shooting bucks that YOU have scouted and vice versa. Because sometimes it works that way.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:24 am

I only share the important info with one other person. My father hunts a little bit and I don't even share with him, tequila likes to let the cat out of the bag at his local watering hole. Other than that I'm a pretty solitary dude and don't like most humans lol. All of my close friends don't hunt and could careless about it.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:28 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:I wrote an article about this a while back.
http://wiredtohunt.com/2015/10/20/teami ... a-partner/

I hunt alone often but I do you get the most enjoyment out of hunting with somebody. That doesn't mean hunting with somebody in the same tree but more strategizing together, hunting in the same area, sharing tactics etc. I think it takes a special duo to do that without things getting more complicated. Hunting nowadays is so selfish and everybody is so protective over their big buck. I get tons of enjoyment watching my friends shoot big bucks especially when I can be a part of it in someway.

My main partner, Mike, is as happy for me as I am for him when we get a deer down. There is absolutely no competition and it's a team effort. We don't get to hunt with each other much but I really enjoy it when we do. Have been a number of times when I've given him advice on a certain book or situation and he's went in and got an opportunity. Vice versa as well. I may have been a little more selfish in my younger years with my hunting spots, etc but as I've matured as a hunter that's just not what it's all about for me.

I will say it's difficult to find a good partner. If one gets a little more greedy or pissy about your success things can go downhill rather quickly.

You said it better than I did. We were responding at the same time.

I remember last year. We were in KS getting ready to head for dinner. I was putting my shoes on to go. And he looks at me and says with a grin. "You better wear your boots". The excitement and thrill of thinking he scored...I almost gave him a bear hug. Downside is...we never found the deer.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:50 am

Strategies, bits and pieces should be able to share with a close friend.
I am not comfortable putting every bed/set up on the table and ask if that is even necessary.

My advice is worth the paper I typed it on but share 1 or 2 SPECIFIC SPOTS this season and by next season you will know how to proceed. With you mentioning he has lots more time than you I can see some possible conflicts.

On the other hand I'm a little jealous because I am solo hunting virtually every time because I don't have a good hunting parter,so enjoy whatever works for you.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:51 am

Honestly, right now, I wouldn't mind someone in my area coming to me and saying hey lets hunt together. There is one spot that i acquired from a gentleman that I hunt with on occasion. But he owns his own business but I cant get out with him all that much. But he made me promise I wouldn't take anyone out there because its only him and I and one other guy hunting this piece. But honestly right now (idk if it will change.) I really just want to fill the freezer and enjoy my days out in the woods. I am sure this will change with time, but I am not after a giant. I get excited when I see him on camera. But honestly I think I will always be happy and thankful for any deer i take.

But the way I feel about the whole "getting upset" about someone killing "your" big buck is kind of depressed. Honestly I would rather take someone out with me and give us better odds of us shooting a deer then have someone else do it. I mean especially if you are on public land. There are usually going to be other people around your spot at some point. So why not enjoy the experience with a friend? I love dragging and tracking. I havent taken my own but everytime my friend calls and says "I got one!" I tell my employees that I am leaving and I help him out. Idk hunting feels more like a community/family thing to me. (for the short time I have been doing it)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:59 am

I'm reclusive for the most part. I do hunt with some of the landowners on properties I hunt. Not by choice but necessity. I like to hunt, how I want, when I want, for the most part. Partners tend to cramp my style.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:12 am

I turned into more of a lone wolf over the years but do like talking strategy with friends or sharing hunting camps. I find when I go off on my own I am a much more efficient and focused hunter. Distractions like waiting for others to get ready or just negative attitudes really can take the fun out of hunting and this is the main reason I like to hunt alone. With that being said there are a few guys here I trust and wouldn't mind hunting with just because I know were like minded and die hard hunters who live deer hunting all year round. Very few guys I know even think about hunting till a week before the season.

My favorite part is getting on a tracking job and enjoying the success of someone else or even my own deer. Good times and great memories are had and that's what it's all about.

tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:23 am

I found it beneficial in the last couple of years to give a small test to see what they are made of first. It happened for me in business most recent: I turned someone on to a new business lead. He then proceeded to cut me out of the small part I could help him with.

Little did he know that I would have turned him on to many other (& bigger) jobs, but he showed me his cards first. Thankfully, I didn't walk away wishing I had not told him about anything else.

Take that how you will, but it's easier to tell a little more later than to take back a single word.

Good luck.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:29 am

Heck I wish I lived closer to some Beast so I could find someone that worked at it like I do and we could do joint hunting/filming. Having a good friend/partner can have many advantages - but it is probably a lot like a marriage and would take some time to blend two separate personalities?
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:31 am

I have a friend that I hunt with, obviously not the same tree, and not all the time, but we will occasionally hunt the same area. I share all of my scouting info with him, and we sometimes scout together. As someone said earlier, I am just as happy for him when he kills as I would be for myself, and sometimes more so. We are always bouncing things off of each other. It works.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:41 am

Thanks for all of the good input guys. Probably a good idea to start with a couple of properties and see how it goes.

Overall my buddy and I are pretty simpatico on things. We've fished and hunted other game together for quite a while. Don't think jealousy will be an issue for either of us. He's just getting started and is probably more of a meat hunter anyways. Getting him on deer will be a good start. I like shooting big bucks and hunting them, but if he happens to whack a 1.5, wouldn't bother me in the least.

Just pondering a little. He's pretty amped to start bow hunting and I've encouraged him for a couple of years, so I'd feel like a bit of a Schmuck if I didn't help him out where I can. That got me to thinking, may be fun to just dive in full bore and have a set of eyes out there when I can't be.

He really likes fishing and bird hunting too, so probably start with a couple of properties we have both hunted before and see how deep he falls in! If he gets the big hard, tale it from there.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:51 am

Nope. I think it would be cool to have a good partner tho. My dad got me into hunting he's the only real partner I've had

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:58 am

Growing up I watched people follow my father around and sneak into his stands so I've been pretty reclusive in my adult years. I share info and hunt with one member here. I tell my father stuff. I'm trying to be more open by having a journal but it makes me a little paranoid.

I hope it works out for you Kraft. Helping a new hunter out is awesome of you.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”