2 separate questions- preorbital and wind direction

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

keepthefevercalls

2 separate questions- preorbital and wind direction

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:44 am

Hey guys I have 2 specific questions.

When making a mock scrape and using preorbital on the licking branch, how often do you reapply? 2 weeks?

Also, what do you use to go back and see what the wind direction was on a certain day to be able to pattern bucks on camera?
Thanks!
Mike

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Re: 2 separate questions- preorbital and wind direction

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:50 am

Reapply every time you go to check camera. With that said, you obviously don't want to over do it.

I use weatherunderground for weather history.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:57 am

I like to check cameras on a real dry windy day.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:17 am

Question 1: I refresh mine about every 2-3 weeks until bucks take them over - then I leave them alone (as far as lure) until late Oct at which time I will swab them with some of last years gland I extracted.... my reason is I want to create the illusion of a new kid on the block right at the time where the older boys are getting a little antsi. Most of the time I actually try to find natural licking branches that get used year round. If I find an old scrape in Feb with fresh tracks and new chewed up limps - I know this is more then likely a year round licking branch that just happens to have a buck scrape. To me the licking branch is first priority for deer, the actual scrape is secondary. When I find these I don't use any lure until I hunt it and then I will swipe on some natural gland as stated above.

Question 2: Every pic I get of a target buck I annotate buck name (I give them one so I can start tracking them)date, location, and time of pic. I enter this into a excel sheet and then add additional info such as temp, sunrise/sunset, moon phase, etc... that I get form the internet. Doing it in exel you can then sort as you want or write a formula do give you the info you want. You can keep adding and modifying the info you keep on this database
keepthefevercalls

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:29 am

Awesome, thanks guys!

Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:54 am

A friend of mine puts all his camera set ups with a licking branch this time of year. He often creates a branch if none are around where he wants to set up a camera. I just talked to him this morning, said he is hanging a 1 foot long piece of manila hemp rope over a few camera set ups. Old Indian trick I guess? :text-nocomment: :confusion-shrug:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:07 am

Stanley wrote:A friend of mine puts all his camera set ups with a licking branch this time of year. He often creates a branch if none are around where he wants to set up a camera. I just talked to him this morning, said he is hanging a 1 foot long piece of manila hemp rope over a few camera set ups. Old Indian trick I guess? :text-nocomment: :confusion-shrug:

Actually, Gene Wensel wrote an article a few year back on this process and it took off from there. He did a follow up article as well. Both of these are locate don the Brothers of the Bow website.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:27 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
Stanley wrote:A friend of mine puts all his camera set ups with a licking branch this time of year. He often creates a branch if none are around where he wants to set up a camera. I just talked to him this morning, said he is hanging a 1 foot long piece of manila hemp rope over a few camera set ups. Old Indian trick I guess? :text-nocomment: :confusion-shrug:

Actually, Gene Wensel wrote an article a few year back on this process and it took off from there. He did a follow up article as well. Both of these are locate don the Brothers of the Bow website.

I don't get out much. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”