Standing corn against wood lots and the wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Standing corn against wood lots and the wind

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:27 am

Having read through the corn field threads either I missed it or there just is a huge variance but wondering how best to play the wind with stand set up when you have corn adjacent to your woods and the deer meander between the two, either early/late or even if they potentially do so throughout the day?

Do you prefer having your scent blow to the corn?

What about during the rut?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Standing corn against wood lots and the wind

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:04 am

I always see more deer from timber to corn. Rather than from corn to timber. This may because the corn is temporary bedding. This would mean wind blowing into the corn would be the choice. I remember about 30 years ago a friend of mine was setting up with his wind blowing into the timber. I told him to switch it around. He was skeptical but did so.

He killed a nice buck about a week later coming from the timber to the corn. He said he always assumed the deer were coming from the corn. I always figured the approach was better coming from the corn also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Standing corn against wood lots and the wind

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:26 am

Wind blowing over the corn

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”