How would you set up this property?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Shady Grove
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/noahstokesart

How would you set up this property?

Unread postby Shady Grove » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:07 am

For you habitat gurus and those real good at getting close to mature bucks. I wanted to get your ideas on setting up this portion of my property to make it easier to hunt. It's on the Georgia/Florida line and the attached photo is of a 250 acre portion of our property along the river. No food plots on the property or agriculture nearby (planted pines for miles) - the logging decks in the photo are potential locations for food plots. The river does flood to the road in spots at times. Terrain slants ever so slightly toward the river and the planted pines indicate the higher ground. I know a photo is not like being on the ground - but I was hoping some of you experts would take a shot at giving me some pointers and your insight. How would you approach this property - what areas or terrain features look appealing as possible bedding areas? What would you be looking for when on the ground scouting? Are you a fan of mowing or cutting trails to help steer deer around? The white line is the access road - I could also access from the river by jon boat of kayak - never have but it's possible. Prevailing winds Sept-Dec are NE. If you need more info please ask.

Killemquietly

Re: How would you set up this property?

Unread postby Killemquietly » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:11 am

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/Killemquietly/library/

i'm no guru but here's what I'd consider.

Red= Routes and stands
Blue = make really conducive to bedding areas. I'm willing to bet that knob on the river is already
green =food plots
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:06 am

How old are the pines? Tall and mature with no understory?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:55 am

Just a quick look at it for me.

Maroon possible rut funnels
Orange places I would scout first for beds
Green is where I'd food plot. Might would look into doing a summer plot on the one that the access road goes through and a winter plot on the other.
Grey area I'd be real interested in for feeding on acorns if it's mature hardwoods and those planted pines are several years old.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”