How many trail cams do you run? (Poll)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How many cams?

6%
1-2
15%
3-4
25%
5-7
29%
8-10
11%
11-15
8%
16+
5%

Total votes: 95
whitetailassasin

Re: How many trail cams do you run? (Poll)

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:55 am

0 as of now. But with cell cams improved effectiveness, 4-5 next year.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:58 am

Just a couple :liar: :liar: :liar:
Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:41 pm

I just ordered my first Wildgame cam. That makes 8 total. I just love running cams!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:40 pm

I set a limit on myself to just one camera, because I think "there's always something else I'm going to want". More cameras, some new doodad, nicer equipment. I don't want to become attached too much to gizmos and stuff.

I also don't want to become reliant on cameras. I do fine with my self-imposed limit, mainly because I hunt one very large public parcel. I am just trying to identify the best buck on the property. Cameras help, but I can do that with one. The process would be quicker and easier with multiple cams, but this forces me to take my best shot only. Helps me focus and learn.

I'm happy with that. But I won't judge others for doing things differently.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:14 am

Buck snort wrote:Dave, do you have a picture of your setup? Sounds stealthy!

Posted some pics and a description in my journal
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=30244&start=450
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:44 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Divergent wrote:What patterns have you guys been able to come up with so far? Surely, you're onto something with so many cameras...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

You would think that you would be able to put cams out, get pics of a big buck coming out at 5pm every day, move in and kill him. Boom. Just that easy. But what I see is that...if I am counting on an "everyday at X" pattern to kill a buck, it rarely happens. Annually, yes. It gives me an idea of what areas are good what time of year they are good and I can plan accordingly.

The #1 reason I use them. They really really help to give me an idea of what deer are in an area. Then I rely on my scouting to figure out the rest. They also dictate if I need to hunt or scout more. If a buck never shows in daylight...I need to go find him. My camera success is directly related to how well I have done scouting an area. For example, this year, I have located 3 mature bucks on camera -- camera placement was all based on pre season scouting.

But what I see most? Not much of a pattern at all. I use them to tell me a buck is in the area and he has been here during daylight. So I hunt. With all of my buddies, we run 50+ cameras -- none of us got an "everyday at X" pattern on a buck last year. I may get a target buck show up at an apple tree 2 days in a row during daylight than I may not see him again there during daylight in a week. AND that food source may only be 75yds from a known bed. It does happen. One of my buddies did it in 2014, 2x.

Thats just my 2cents.

Personally, I'm looking for something much larger. I don't expect to to get a pic and get a buck unless he is still on his summer pattern from bed to food. I'm looking much broader. An example is I've found that deer seem to prefer pines on windy days etc. I'm looking at any and all patterns that i can find. I'm going to start a spin off thread to cover some of the resources that i'm using.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”