Hang in the dark or after first light?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Hang in the dark or after first light?

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:26 pm

I'd rather be an hour early than a minute late. I shot my biggest buck last year within 20-30 minutes of dawn. I'm not sure that would have happened if I got in at grey light.

My headlight has a red and a white light. I use the red light, which is much dimmer while setting up the stand in the dark.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:59 pm

minnesotahunter wrote:Aaron could you post a link to the head lamp you use?

I think this is it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/alaskan- ... 379480.uts

Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:00 pm

minnesotahunter wrote:Aaron could you post a link to the head lamp you use?

I think this is it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/alaskan- ... 379480.uts

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:26 pm

I'll go in ridiculously early over grey light. Small green pen light and I hold it in my closed fist so an even smaller beam goes out while I'm walking.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:03 pm

If I can't see by the moonlight, I will use a low beam light to get to the tree. Then, I setup with no light.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:54 pm

To me it depends on whether u hunting the bedding or travel areas to the bedding. If ur hunting bedding is be in the well before light. If travel go with ur gut feeling. Me I'd still be in there before grey light ready to go my luck would be a slob is watching me hang my stand on the tree an I have no waidea what to shoot him.

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:15 am

Outside of the rut, I get in early. During the rut, I still prefer being setup before first light because Ive had bucks chasing does past my tree during gray light once or twice. Memories like that help get me there early. However, since that's more the exception than the rule in the rut, I don't sweat it if I'm running late or in an unfamiliar area.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:27 am

bowhunter15 wrote:Outside of the rut, I get in early. During the rut, I still prefer being setup before first light because Ive had bucks chasing does past my tree during gray light once or twice. Memories like that help get me there early. However, since that's more the exception than the rule in the rut, I don't sweat it if I'm running late or in an unfamiliar area.

Excellent point. Not being setup and ready to go before first light cost me an opportunity 2 years ago on a mature buck chasing during the rut. I walked in at gray light and they went chasing right under the tree I was going to get in. Had to stop and watch them chase on by and they didn't come back.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
islandshooter

Unread postby islandshooter » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:02 pm

Guys,
Thanks for all the advice! After following y'alls advice on stick talons and rock harnesses, I'm comfortable enuff to hang the lone wolf in the dark. Actually, I try to do that once a month during the off season since it's so hot down here now. Certainly I agree with being in the stand and quiet before first light. Last year I hung at 9pm for the next morning and it seemed to work well. Just drove as. Lose as I could get while they were feeding. My but likes the idea of NOT siting dark to dark, but I would really hate to bump one while hanging! Thanks again. Hope I get to post a nice buck on the Beast this Nov!!

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:03 pm

I've kicked up more deer at 0'dark:30 then I've seen hunting in the AM. So now I go in about an hour before sunrise. When I get to a couple hundred yards of my spot I sit and wait for gray light. I go in that far using a green light headlamp. As I understand it the deer can not see green or red lights. But I find I can see better with green than red.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:13 pm

Great points PK and DaveT, I agree with what you both said and that's how I've always approached morning sits. I don't sit many except opener, pre and rut times, but when I do, I'm in and set up early.

Beastintraining

Unread postby Beastintraining » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:58 am

From my limited experience I would always set up in dark. You may bump deer and hear them blow but if your wind isn't blowing towards them they will not know what you are. The deer will maybe blow once because it was startled but will come down after you move by or stop moving. When this has happened to me the deer do not move more than 50 yds and always seem to circle back around to the vicinity I bumped them. Just make sure your entry path has the wind in your face.

I am also a fan of being in early because if you do bump a deer and they start blowing like crazy, you have time for the woods to calm down. If you are going in at day light they will peg you in the tree or near the tree and know to avoid.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”