Do bucks stage before the thermals change, only after, or bo

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Divergent
500 Club

Do bucks stage before the thermals change, only after, or bo

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:14 pm

Do bucks stage before the thermals change, only after, or both?

If I'm in Alabama, national forest/ big woods setting, do deer always drop down with the thermals and feed in the bottoms or do they feed up top or wherever they choose? I've always heard from the old magazines and my dad that they drop down to feed. I feel like I've been mislead by a lot of these Midwest magazines though because a lot of it doesn't relate to my area. Are they walking from their bed to an area they've been watching or smelling? Trying to perfect my stand setup since I'm finding the beds now. I want to dial it up a few more notches this season. Thanks

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Do bucks stage before the thermals change, only after, o

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:47 am

Admittedly I haven't hunted within 500 miles of Alabama man but what I see are bucks moving in the direction of food regardless of where it is thermal-wise or elevation-wise.

I have seen them stage in low areas, thermal hubs, in the late pre-rut though. Then, in the late pre-rut, they seem to be scent checking all the surrounding ridges for does at last light by dropping down to those thermal hubs, where valleys fork or down in an area below multiple points and secondary ridges. I see that a lot in big hills. I remember Autumn Ninja had a thread on that http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7329&hilit=thermal+hubs But outside of the pre-rut, I don't see bucks staging in low areas around here.

Given terrain varies so much I would be curious if this is different in other parts of the country.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:26 am

JoeRE wrote:Admittedly I haven't hunted within 500 miles of Alabama man but what I see are bucks moving in the direction of food regardless of where it is thermal-wise or elevation-wise.

I have seen them stage in low areas, thermal hubs, in the late pre-rut though. Then, in the late pre-rut, they seem to be scent checking all the surrounding ridges for does at last light by dropping down to those thermal hubs, where valleys fork or down in an area below multiple points and secondary ridges. I see that a lot in big hills. I remember Autumn Ninja had a thread on that http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7329&hilit=thermal+hubs But outside of the pre-rut, I don't see bucks staging in low areas around here.

Given terrain varies so much I would be curious if this is different in other parts of the country.

Ok, so preferred food or whatever is on the buck's mind will usually trump a higher sense of security?

I feel like wind and thermals are pushed so much these days that is seems as if it's the sole driving force behind deer movement.

I like your reference to Autumn Ninja's thermal hub post. He definitely has provided some unique insight.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:25 am

Security is #1 when bedding, or going to bedding. Not so much when traveling.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”