Corn Fields

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DeerDylan
500 Club

Re: Corn Fields

Unread postby DeerDylan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:17 am

Hawthorne wrote:If you guys want a good read about corn field hunting get roger rothaar's book Whitetail Magic. He has some good stories about shooting big bucks in and near cornfields in north central Ohio and all with a recurve bow

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

That's one of my favorites.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:13 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:Stanley, I didnt notice earlier in pic 10 and 17 (the second 17) are those bobcats? And what is that in the bottom right in pic 17?

Yes, those are bobcats. I think in 17 that is a mother and a younger one. I get all kinds of pictures of different animals using those corn corridors. Once the corn is picked, animal movement dries up significantly, to almost nothing.

Unfortunately in Ohio, by the time we hunt the corn is gone - we do sometimes pay the farmers to leave a few rows standing but that can get expensive fast - and unless the standing corn lot is a sufficient size I don't think they use the edge "corridor" as much???

Stanley - how much of a lot would you say it takes for the corridor to remain in play? And would it be worth it to pay to keep it up? I never realized how expensive it can be to pay to leave corn standing.

Just my thinking(and have admittedly not hunted corn fields. Ours are almost all gone by the opener and long gone by the rut), isn't it possible that the reason for cruising that corridor is now taken away if there's only a few rows left up against the woodline? I would think that the main reason to cruise the corridor is to scent check the standing corn for bedded does and check a scrape line on the corridor. I guess it's possible a buck would cruise the corridor scent checking for does having gone and come to feed in that corn field during the night however.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:20 am

Lou, how about revisiting the rut tactic of two cornfield corners nearly touching with a little bit of cover between them...

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:46 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35310&hilit=Bedding+in+standing+corn

In case the standing corn topic interests you, here's another from a while back.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:57 am

If the buck or deer could be bedded in either the corn or woods and moving back and forth throughout the day, how does the wind affect your setup? Do you prefer wind blowing to the corn?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:03 am

I'm not much of a corn guy, but I sure know when I eat it, cause it floats around the next day;)

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:55 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I'm not much of a corn guy, but I sure know when I eat it, cause it floats around the next day;)

Mine stays on the cob

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:28 pm

To follow up from Monday's comment: Slob of a buck in a TINY grove during "the lull" in daylight hours. :shock: The only reason I received permission for this grove is because it looked like nothing. Mind you, this is one of the best areas I know of. I knew if there was corn around it, deer would swing thru.

Video was taken Oct 16th, 2010. I'm pretty confident he spent a lot of time in a big grove East of here which doesn't get bowhunted.

I had midnight pictures of this buck here and there, then all of the sudden here was my missed opportunity :think:

I had a family function I had to attend the night he walked in front of my cam (and stand). I came to the realization that "Even if I could have hunted, I can't hunt that stand with a NW wind. No reason to feel bad about it."

Chances are he was bedded yards from my stand and trail camera then stood up to stage at gray light.
PublicLandPredator

Unread postby PublicLandPredator » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:05 am

Anyone have any luck hunting late season corn fields? I drew a lottery hunt in an area that manages corn fields for the preserve and there's still plenty of dried standing corn with boarding salt marsh.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:25 pm

We had some straight line winds come through our area of NE Missouri, late this past summer. It literally destroyed several entire cornfields. The ones I seen did not recover... Back in the day when obtaining hunting permission was still a very real possibility, I used to hunt a farm with row crops, in the bottoms. On the occasion when the low areas would flood, either stunting or killing the corn, I would hunt the edges created by the flood waters. Those spots were killer until harvest time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”