Creating your own "Licking Branch" for a scrape?!? help!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

elite_archer

Creating your own "Licking Branch" for a scrape?!? help!

Unread postby elite_archer » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:52 am

On my in-laws property I am not able to hunt in the marsh how i would like to. Besides the point, my stand is on the edge of a turnip field with 15-20 pines on the edge of it. I would like to creat a licking branch that overhangs from a pine tree over the turnip field without placing any stakes in the field. Any of you have any ideas on how i could extend a "fake limb or anything above the field? Maybe connecting a piece of rope to the limb for them to lick on? If so, what kind of rope works best. I know this sounds like a lame way of hunting but its the best i can work with since i dont own the property! Thanks guys!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Wlog
500 Club

Re: Creating your own "Licking Branch" for a scrape?!? help!

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:59 am

http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html/wickedwicks.html

Here's a good article on the subject.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:08 am

Wlog wrote:http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html/wickedwicks.html

Here's a good article on the subject.

wow! Super interesting, I may have to try that.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:22 am

I have been doing them since I went to Barry's Bootcamp a few years back... They absolutely work

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:42 am

I set a rope with wicked wicks almost 2 weeks ago. I'll be checking the camera Sunday so I can give a little more info

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:51 am

Another thing you can start doing this season is visit you local wild game processing shop - ask if you can get some samples from deer that are taken. Then take a q tip, clean them babies out (pre orbital glands) and put in a zip lock and freeze or refrigerate if you will use it soon. Then when ready to sue, simply mist the Q Tip with a sprayer water bottle like ladies use to wet their hair, rub the wetted Q Tip on your wick. The cotton fibers will snag and some will deposit on the wick leaving it well saturated in a way that will not easily run off the wick.

This way you can create a community licking branch pretty easily buy using several Q Tips. You can also get some tarsal skin from rutting bucks form most butchers once you get to know them. My local guy cuts them off bucks in Nov for me and freezes them along with some primed Q Tips - I simply take him some fresh veggies from my organic garden each spring - win win. Nothing beats the real thing. Add a little forehead skin from around the antler bases from discarded buck heads and you will have everything you need to create natural licking branches and rubs
Jdub

Unread postby Jdub » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:42 am

If you have some hardwoods around walk through and find some dead oak limbs on the ground. They will hold their leaves for a long time and make great licking branches.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:56 am

A clothes line between two trees over a trail about 8 ft off the ground. Cut off a oak branch and zip tie it on the clothes line directly over the trail with the tip of the branch about 5 ft. Works great any deer walking down the trail will work the licking branch all year even the does. The bucks will paw the ground under it in fall. I put a camera by one and had tons of pictures of different deer working the branch. I got the idea from Charles assemheimer from deer and deer hunting

Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:08 am

Hawthorne wrote:A clothes line between two trees over a trail about 8 ft off the ground. Cut off a oak branch and zip tie it on the clothes line directly over the trail with the tip of the branch about 5 ft. Works great any deer walking down the trail will work the licking branch all year even the does. The bucks will paw the ground under it in fall. I put a camera by one and had tons of pictures of different deer working the branch. I got the idea from Charles assemheimer from deer and deer hunting

any pics to share of that setup? Sounds awesome!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:15 am

Buck snort wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:A clothes line between two trees over a trail about 8 ft off the ground. Cut off a oak branch and zip tie it on the clothes line directly over the trail with the tip of the branch about 5 ft. Works great any deer walking down the trail will work the licking branch all year even the does. The bucks will paw the ground under it in fall. I put a camera by one and had tons of pictures of different deer working the branch. I got the idea from Charles assemheimer from deer and deer hunting

any pics to share of that setup? Sounds awesome!

I haven't done one in a few years. Would have to go thru my sd cards. They work great for pictures I've never killed a buck over one but I suppose in the right spot you could.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:06 pm

Have friends that use that rope material that holds potted plants for lick sticks. They also use clusters of those big vines cut and hung at the proper distance with good success.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:09 pm

I'm not going to lie, I've gone to public non-hunting parks and snipped off a few actual licking branches. Then go zip tie them to the tree you want. Instant scrape...
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:40 pm

I know someone who ties up a piece of vine and shreds the end of it with a pliers for holding scent, a lot more invisible on public land. I am going to try it.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:49 pm

I have good luck with Manila rope

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Ib use garden bamboo stakes, stuff and hit glue cotton rope in hole and zip tie them to natural branches.... helps keep rain from washing it out and blend in well. Can also use grape vine and drill hole in end.... but I have found that the 3/8 inch in diameter Garden Stakes seem to work best for me

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”