Creating your own "Licking Branch" for a scrape?!? help!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: Creating your own "Licking Branch" for a scrape?!? help!

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:40 am

This pic was from a man made licking branch. I took a 6' branch I found on the ground wedged it in the crouch of a large willow tree then took the another branch & tied it hanging down toward the ground. It worked good numerous does & bucks hit it for about a week before they knocked it down. When I take inventory in this spot this year I'll bring rope to secure the branches better.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:49 am

tbunao wrote:I set a rope with wicked wicks almost 2 weeks ago. I'll be checking the camera Sunday so I can give a little more info

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

How did that experiment work out for you? I have a few out now on public land that I'll check either in September or sometime after I hunt the area. I'm still debating if it was a bad idea to put them up on public since they might draw attention. Time will tell
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:07 am

I wrap a big wad of vines on the branch. I only have em on my rut stands for the sole purpose to stop em in my#1 shot lane. I've never put a camera on em, for the fact I get to tempted to check em. Sometimes they work like a charm other times not so much. But I try to do everything in my power, where if he comes through he ends up in my lap. I think fresh dark kicked up soil really helps. I like the clothes line idea, gonna give it a try especially in those not a close branch spot.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:41 am

RidgeGhost wrote:
tbunao wrote:I set a rope with wicked wicks almost 2 weeks ago. I'll be checking the camera Sunday so I can give a little more info

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

How did that experiment work out for you? I have a few out now on public land that I'll check either in September or sometime after I hunt the area. I'm still debating if it was a bad idea to put them up on public since they might draw attention. Time will tell

I had a few bucks appear on cam but looked sketched out. I did everything possible to stay as scent free as I could and did not alter any of the surroundings. I just don't think these pressured bucks take kind to anything new.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:51 pm

I attempted to stay scent free. But, after hiking two miles in summer heat, that's basically out the window. I was mainly looking for a way to get a buck in front of the camera for inventory purposes since I have no idea what caliber of bucks are there. Have you tried any other methods successfully? No baiting allowed on public here. I have a couple water hole locations but I feel like I'll lose a camera if I stick one on those.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:18 pm

RidgeGhost wrote:I attempted to stay scent free. But, after hiking two miles in summer heat, that's basically out the window. I was mainly looking for a way to get a buck in front of the camera for inventory purposes since I have no idea what caliber of bucks are there. Have you tried any other methods successfully? No baiting allowed on public here. I have a couple water hole locations but I feel like I'll lose a camera if I stick one on those.

Trails leaving bedding at a safe enough distance. You may not get a lot of pics due to the fact that he has a chance to go down any trail. All I want is confirmation of what's coming from that specific bed. I'm not in there every 2 weeks or whatever, I'm letting it soak as if summer is its own season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”